Veloscenic France

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
lewisnoble

Veloscenic France

Post by lewisnoble »

Hello - Happy New Year everybody. I am thinking of doing the veloscenic in France next summer or autumn - the fairly new route from Paris via Chartres to Mont St Michel. Probably staying in B and Bs or wherever.

Has anyone done this route? It looks a pleasant and scenic ride, through scenery and terrain that I like. Any observations welcome.

Lewis
JJF

Re: Veloscenic France

Post by JJF »

A short article about a tour on this route appeared in the latest issue of Cycle mag.(Dec 2014/Jan 2015).
lewisnoble

Post by lewisnoble »

Yes, thanks, that's the one that sparked my interest - and the guy in the picture is a close likeness to me!! Looks a good, rewarding but relaxing route.

Lewis
vrnwy73

Post by vrnwy73 »

I cycled a lot of this (Mt St Michel to Paris) last October.

I didn't know it by name, but found the route via cycle.travel

Beware that it is like a lot of the UK Sustrans routes, mostly unsealed. This makes the cycling hard work, and a little monotonous, so plan a few diversions off the route.

The highlight was the Coulée Verte greenway south of Paris. A pleasant surprise and very quiet.

Jon
lewisnoble

Post by lewisnoble »

Thanks Jon - only just picked up your reply. Gravel surfaces not a problem, though I was under the impression that the majority was tarmac.

I notice you did it west to east, most of the write ups I have seen refer to the east west direction. Eased along my tailwinds, were you??! It looks an interesting ride in the sort of terrain my wife and I like.

Did you camp, or use hotels / B and Bs?

Thanks.
vrnwy73

Post by vrnwy73 »

There is a lot of dirt. (cycle.travel will tell you how many kms are off-road.)
e.g. Chartres to Domfront
Total length: 227km (17 hours). Includes 300m on major roads; 800m pushing; 64.6km unsurfaced (estimate)

I didn't notice any wind issues - W-E was just the direction I happened to be going.

Northern France is quieter than I expected, but woods to camp in were plentiful.

Jon
lewisnoble

Post by lewisnoble »

Thanks Jon, we are likely to go ahead with this - we may choose a different route if my wife comes with me, as she is on a hybrid type bike with narrower tyres, less comfortable on gravel / unmade surfaces.

That's an interesting website, cycle.travel, not come across it before you mentioned it.

Best wishes

Lewis
lewisnoble

Post by lewisnoble »

Thanks Jon, we are likely to go ahead with this - we may choose a different route if my wife comes with me, as she is on a hybrid type bike with narrower tyres, less comfortable on gravel / unmade surfaces.

That's an interesting website, cycle.travel, not come across it before you mentioned it.

Best wishes

Lewis
vrnwy73

Post by vrnwy73 »

I may have misled you with the term 'unsurfaced'.

That description covers a multitude of surface types, however in this case it simply means unsealed.
The surface is flat and ridable with any bike, easily for a few kms, but for these distances it can become tiresome.

enjoy your trip.
Jon
lewisnoble

Post by lewisnoble »

Useful clarification, Jon, thanks. It's a part of France we know a little, but not cycled at all - as good a reason as any to give it a go!!