Which Bike do I take?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
The Mechanic

Which Bike do I take?

Post by The Mechanic »

In May 2015 I am cycling from Caen to Nice with an organised tour. I will not have to carry any luggage other than what I need each day. We will be going over the Massif Centrale and a short detour up some lump called Mont Ventoux en route. The problem I have is which bike to use. I have a choice of carbon road bike, very comfy and this year used to good effect riding Dover to Cape Wrath (except the Cape Wrath bit). Pretty light with compact chainset (50/34) and 12-30 cassette. The second choice is my audax/tourer. Steel 631 frame with triple (48/36/24) and 12-32 cassette. Heavier but just as comfy to ride.

Will I need the extra low gears or would the compact be enough? I could, at a pinch, fit a 12-32 cassette on the CF bike. No need for a postcard. This forum will do for answers :D
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
hondated

Re: Which Bike do I take?

Post by hondated »

I would take the steel triple as you will have a few get out of trouble gears.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Surely this is the perfect excuse for a new bike? A trip of that scale, including scaling the mythical ventoux practically requires a new purchase. My suggestion would be something bang on trend, so a titanium road bike with discs, like a Kinesis ATR ;)
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

how often do you use the 30? I'd take the CF if the answer is 'rare' if its 'regular' you might need the extra gearing.

I know several people who'v done Mt V on 34 x 28 lowest without any big issues, guess it depends how fit you are and how you want to tackle the climbing.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Ray

Post by Ray »

Either bike will do the journey OK. Gearing shouldn't be a big issue; Ventoux isn't that steep (just long!), you're obviously used to riding long distances, and the group pace is unlikely to be a problem for you. Main issue for me would be whether I wanted to risk going without mudguards. There's no guarantee that France, particularly the Massif Central, will be dry in May, and getting soggy day after day would take the edge off the fun.
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Massif Central should not be a problem. I toured there several times with a bottom gear of 36x26 saddlebag touring on my 531 tourer. Mind you, I was 45 then so probably more vigorous than now. Given your choice I would take the steel tourer because you will have bail out gears if needed, mudguards of course, and capacity to carry decent waterproofs, tools, food etc.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

What are you used to? How much climbing do you usually do? If you are uncertain enough to be asking on here, the safe option is probably best.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I will play it safe and take the steel bike. If I don't need the super low gears then no harm done. Can't wait to get going.
hondated

Post by hondated »

Have a great time and hopefully this year I will get down to ride the Ventoux as well.
I based my decision on riding the triple by my own attempts in the Alps. I have ridden a few of the famous and hard climbs and I certainly have never regretted having all the gears I had.
robing

Post by robing »

Take the carbon bike! I think you'll regret it if you go on the steel tourer and see everybody whizzing past ;)
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

Good point Robing but I am afraid I am already used to seeing everyone whizzing past me, especially up hill. Still undecided.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

The Mechanic wrote:Good point Robing but I am afraid I am already used to seeing everyone whizzing past me, especially up hill. Still undecided.

Well, if you are on your carbon bike and everyone is STILL whizzing past you think how you will feel about THAT! :?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......