titanium rack - anyone used one?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
foxyrider

Re: titanium rack - anyone used one?

Post by foxyrider »

gplhl wrote:My concern would be how easy does titanium weld if broken? Steel can be welded anywhere.

probably easier than the aluminium Tortec! But how are you gonna break it?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

foxyrider wrote:
gplhl wrote:My concern would be how easy does titanium weld if broken? Steel can be welded anywhere.

Bouncing over rough roads/tracks with heavy panniers attached, or probably more likely on some kind of rustic transport (boat/train etc)! [emoji1]
PH

Post by PH »

As the original question was about a rack for credit card touring, I think we can assume we're not talking about the back of beyond. Even if it did break, it's a rack, not a piece of sophisticated medical equipment, you could fix it with cable ties and gaffa tape, might not be ideal, but it shouldn't spoil a trip.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Yes, the rack you would want for carrying camping gear would be OTT for credit card touring, where something less strong would be fine. The Tortec Ultralight is good with light loads, bit with any aluminium alloy rack I would put insulation tape around the tubes where panniers rub to stop the metal being worn down. An Airy would work with small panniers, but the Tortec is a better option if you can manage with a rack-top bag and leave the panniers at home. It really depends on how much stuff you want to take with you.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

I usually away for a week or two, but I have a 4 week tour planned and booked.

I've used the avenir/Raleigh double panniers in the past and have loads of room left which can be handy at the end of the day when I usually pop into a supermarket and pick up some supplies for the night (milk, fruit, etc) and next day (sweets, etc)

I have tried rack tops before as they seem more aero but never found one big enough for a two week tour, or they are so big that panniers become a better option

The avenir are great - cheap, light and practical - much lighter than my others. So I was suprised when I compared to the arkel's that they are 1200 - 1300 grams, its probably the backboards and fixings.

Would the arkel's be OK for a 4 week unsupported tour?

I'm open to rack top suggestions but would need about 20l...if it fitted the airy so much the better
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Could I use one of these as a rack pack on the top of the airy?

http://www.ghyllside.co.uk/black-slate- ... VKEkHII-XA

And maybe hold on with a couple of Velcro straps from somewhere?
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Could I use one of these as a rack pack on the top of the airy?

http://www.ghyllside.co.uk/black-slate- ... VKEkHII-XA

And maybe hold on with a couple of Velcro straps from somewhere?

You could try but I don't think it would be very stable. The platform on an airy is extremely narrow - just measured mine at 2.5". Definitely no use for a rack bag but it does make a reasonable support for a Carradice saddle bag.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

pedalsheep wrote:
just measured mine at 2.5". Definitely no use for a rack bag

Thanks for checking
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

If all else is equal which is more beneficial

The aero dynamics of a rack pack, or stability of panniers?
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

elPedro666 wrote:
foxyrider wrote:

Bouncing over rough roads/tracks with heavy panniers attached, or probably more likely on some kind of rustic transport (boat/train etc)! [emoji1]

Mine is used for camping - okay lightweight camping (5kg/bag) but across all surfaces, on and off public transport, aircraft, off tarmac - more worried about my wheels than a well made bit of Ti rack! You really would be unlucky to break one. Of course if you overload......
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
gplhl

titanium rack - anyone used one?

Post by gplhl »

foxyrider wrote:

Do a long tour and everything will break.....eventually, it's just a matter of when/where.

For me I'd rather have something anyone can mend when I'm in the middle of nowhere.

On the other hand if I wasn't doing a big tour then I'd be happy to use titanium (excepting the cost). As for weight, touring's not a race. On an overall setup the weight saving is negligible, conversely to the sum of the cost of all the shiny expensive weight saving components, eat fewer pies! Spend more days on the road with the savings :-)

Gary
http://www.longbikeride.co.uk
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

On the other hand if you eat fewer pies you can afford lovely expensive shiney gear
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

gplhl wrote:As for weight, touring's not a race. )

You don't say! However that doesn't mean you have to lug around 40kg's of kit - everyone can get some benefit from lighter stuff - if its up to the job which of course it isn't always!

Spending less on kit doesn't give me more time to ride which i'm sure is true for many on here, spending more might make what time we have more enjoyable. Personally i only became interested in how much stuff weighed when i started flying with the bike - a 500 gram saving with a Ti rack (in combination with other stuff of course) could easily save me £60 on a return flight - not just once but many times.

Now if we could just convince Tubus to make a Ti front rack.....
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

I've managed to drop a good few kilos off an already light setup by:

Swapping an old worn out 105 groupset for the latest Ultegra
Swapping my sagging leather saddle for a new synthetic one
Swapping my old rack for a ti equivalent
Swapping my panniers for the arkels
A few minor tweaks for Xmas presents - carbon cages, etc

I have a few big tours in the planning and I'm happy with the weight loss
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

The tubus airy has just arrived and so far I am very pleased with it

There was a knock at the door, and then my Son said, "Dad, someone has just delivered an empty box for you"...it's that light

The quality seems excellent, nothing superfluous.

I've fixed it to the seat clamp which seemed the simplest, and will have a look at the other options at the weekend

Now the rack has arrived I'm going to order the 400 gram Arkel Panniers (for the pair) :-)