titanium rack - anyone used one?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mnichols

titanium rack - anyone used one?

Post by mnichols »

Looking at doing a bit of weight saving on the touring setup

Thinking of putting a titanium rack on the titanium bike for some planned long distance and mountainous, but mostly credit card tours - staying in hotels, motels and b&bs

Anyone used a tubus airy, or similar, or know of any in the sales?

Weight saving over current rack is about 400grams
Mistik-ka

Re: titanium rack - anyone used one?

Post by Mistik-ka »

We have a Tubus Logo Titan, and are very pleased with it. Not cheap, but worth it for us because its compact size and light weight make it better for packing our S&S tandem rig for transatlantic air travel.
PH

Post by PH »

All Tubus racks are lovely, but my initial reaction is why have a rack for CC touring? Plenty of other lighter options.
fossala

Post by fossala »

Carradice saddlebag/barbag would work well.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

I replaced my Tubus Logo with an Airy ti rack earlier this year as I'm doing more audax than camping these days and I found one at a very good price. It works fine but altho my bike feels slightly lighter when I lift it I'm afraid it makes no practical difference. I'm not sure that it was money well spent!
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
tim_f

Post by tim_f »

I have an Tubus airey rack. it is stiff looks good and has no paint to get scratched abd resists been warn down by panniers rubbing.
Makes me happy when I look at it. If I was rational I would have an aluminum one from tourtec, you will not be surprised that I have it fitted to one of my titanium bikes.

It could have been designed with more thought the cross member stops a Ortlieb pannier hook fitting at the front end of rails. Not sure if later batches have sorted this. Blurb says best with small panniers but I find it works fine with full size Ortlieb even when pushed far back for heel clearance when used on bike with shortish chainstays.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Treated myself to one from rosebikes. If you register first you get £10 off your first order so cost £76 with shipping
Happy Xmas to me
PS: don't tell the wife
aquilo

Post by aquilo »

Hi
I have an airy on my ti audax bike. Used it with Arkle superlight drybag panniers for raid alpine last summer. Also good with single drybag on top for longer audax rides. Strong, looks great on a ti bike, top platform a bit narrow for use with a rack top bag, also had the same problem with panniers mentioned upthread. But works well with Arkle drybag panniers at 200 grams they are great as a pair of ortlieb front rollers is 1.4 kilos!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Been using a Tubus Carry for 5 years, mine is from the first batch made - what's not to like :D

Takes full size Ortlieb's without issue although it does 'stain the bags'.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
pwa

Post by pwa »

For audax I gave up on Tubus because their skimpy racks, including the Airy titanium, are too narrow to securely take my preferred Carradice rack top bag. This bag is much neater and catches less wind than a pannier, but needs a wide rack top. Surprisingly the ideal rack turned out to be one of the cheapest: the Tortec Ultralite (about £24) which is lighter than the steel Tubus racks, but not as light as a titanium rack. It is well made with good welds and excellent stainless fixings and is strong enough for the light loads I give it. And it has a plate for a light. The one flaw is that it is a bit tall and leaves more of a gap between rack and wheel than is necessary.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Very tempted by the Arkel panniers
aquilo

Post by aquilo »

Ok must check facts before posting! But Arkle Drylights (not superlights) are 450 grams, but still 1 kilo less than a set of front rollers. Fit any rack and in particular the narrow topmof the airey. Definitely favourite panniers when compared to any normal pannier sets.
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

Sounds like the Arkle would a much more effective upgrade than the ti rack. Just one thought came to mind (so one more than usual...) - if the worst happens you'll have a lot more trouble getting a ti rack welded in the back of beyond. Might not be relevant for the kind of touring you have in mind, but if you're going a bit more far-flung it may be a consideration.
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

Dry-lites:
http://www.ghyllside.co.uk/arkel-dry-li ... VJ_D_UI8IF

Seems a decent price after a (very) quick search.
gplhl

Post by gplhl »

My concern would be how easy does titanium weld if broken? Steel can be welded anywhere.

Gary
www.longbikeride.co.uk