Touring wheels

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
molzor

Touring wheels

Post by molzor »

does anyone have any recommendations for me on some good touring wheels at a reasonble price?

i have a kona honky tonk 2013, i love it, but i would like to kit it out a bit better for touring in the summer.

Last year i did a lovely route down the west coast of france into northern spain without too much difficulty, although the spanish mountains were quite a challenge on what is more or less a road bike with panniers! I have changed the gearing a bit now to help with the hills, but I am thinking about a stronger set of wheels. I got away with 32 spokes last time but would like that extra bit of security really.
Vorpal

Re: Touring wheels

Post by Vorpal »

32 spokes is a pretty strong wheel. Unless you are very heavy, or carrying an exceptional amount of kit, it should be good enough for touring most places in Europe and North America.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
molzor

Post by molzor »

no im only a light weight, 9stone mark. and i try to keep it reasonably light but obviously a tent sleeping bag clothes stove etc does add up a bit. maybe im being over cautious, i dont know.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Have you ever broken a spoke?

I have 32 spokes on my hybrid wheels, and they were 20 years old before I broke any spokes on them. At the time, I was often carrying a child on the back, as well as my weight, and sometimes the shopping.

What size tyres do you use & what size will your rims/bike take? You might gain more with wider tyres.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
molzor

Post by molzor »

no never broken a spoke, but i dont really fancy it happening! i was using 28mm tyres before but apparently theres room for 32s with no mud guards. i guess this would be fine in the warmer months. do you think this would be a worthwhile swap?
Drifter

Post by Drifter »

I know exactly where the OP's coming from. I've got 36 spoke wheels but they're not great quality, although they've never gave me any reason to worry, I'd rather get a better wheel set now than get caught out on tour. I was thinking xt hubs, mavic 719 rims and good quality spokes x 36.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Drifter wrote:I know exactly where the OP's coming from. I've got 36 spoke wheels but they're not great quality, although they've never gave me any reason to worry, I'd rather get a better wheel set now than get caught out on tour. I was thinking xt hubs, mavic 719 rims and good quality spokes x 36.

A good choice for you but not the OP's narrow (in touring terms) tyres. Wide touring rims and narrowish tyres are a poor combination. If I were the OP and was buying a set of touring wheels I'd call up my shop of choice and ask their advice on rims suitable for the tyres I wanted to run. Back when I still rode 28mm tyres I did just that and ended up with wheels built with 36h Chrina rims (I think) from Spa Cycles. They were faultless, but sadly I discovered the joy of wider tyres so another trip to Harrogate was soon in order.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

molzor wrote:no never broken a spoke, but i dont really fancy it happening! i was using 28mm tyres before but apparently theres room for 32s with no mud guards. i guess this would be fine in the warmer months. do you think this would be a worthwhile swap?

its not just broken spokes - also cracking rims. i only noticed the cracks in my rear mavic x138 by accident - no broken spokes, some sun caught on the rim as i was sat on some grass. so need a good solid rim at the rear atleast
molzor

Post by molzor »

thanks a lot, i think a phone call to spa cycles may be in order.
molzor

Post by molzor »

i just spoke to a wiggle online representative who recommended me these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/pro-lite-bracci ... ustReviews

he claims they are very strong and hold up to 200kg

20/24 spokes, is he mad?
bg

Post by bg »

I have a Kona Honky Tonk too and love it. I have toured on mine and the wheels are still going strong after 4000 miles. The wheels seem strong and fine so don't think they need upgrading.
molzor

Post by molzor »

youre probably right, it did fine in summer, why would there be a problem next time. its easy to get drawn in by expensive shiney new parts!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

molzor wrote:i just spoke to a wiggle online representative who recommended me these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/pro-lite-bracci ... ustReviews

20/24 spokes, is he mad?

Yes, he's mad. Those are training /recreational use wheels, and the largest tyre they will take is probably 25 mm wide. You might be able to fit 28 mm tyres. But, IMO, you're better off with what you have.
beardy

Post by beardy »

molzor wrote:i just spoke to a wiggle online representative who recommended me these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/pro-lite-bracci ... ustReviews

20/24 spokes, is he mad?

I have a broadband speed of up to 8MB/s. If I get two then I am having a good day.
molzor

Post by molzor »

i suspect they didnt have anything suitable and tried to palm me off with any old set of wheels to make a sale