TOURING 2015

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
dodger

Re: TOURING 2015

Post by dodger »

Wow, some exotic routes and loads of ideas.
That's the problem; plenty of time after Easter next year to travel and loads of possibilities to look at.
Mrs Dodger wants a long trip in the camper, so maybe there's scope for a bit of cycling in between campsites.
I think Northumberland is on the list after Iron Bridge and Skipton, so good scenery.
Back to planning.
molzor

Post by molzor »

Last summer i did a ride down west france and to santander and it was lovely. I was on the pilgrim route for a lot of the way, but word of warning. nowhere, and i mean nowhere in northern spain is flat. its up down up down. beautiful landscapes but the ability to switch off brain and turn on climbing mode can come in useful. i found myself decending really slow because i knew there would only be another climb to come!
dodger

Post by dodger »

Molzor, sounds like you followed the Velodyssey route to some extent, as I did. Didn't quite reach Spain but have cycled there before from Santander into the Picos and agree it's fairly hilly. Makes it more interesting though! I found the route along the Nante-Brest canal a bit boring at times, so it was good to deviate and look around a bit.
molzor

Post by molzor »

Yeah thats right all the way down west france is routed with cycle paths. its really nice but they arent at all the quickest. it seems cycle paths are for winding around leisurely in france, not always the best if you have to get somewhere!

From bordeaux down to the border of spain was so flat you barely had to push, easy but can get a little boring. once you get to spain the whole landscape changes and the hills can be tough (i had completed the wrong gearing set up to be riding up hills with panniers) but with them you do get beauty, so its always worth it in the end
largeallan

Post by largeallan »

Not quite the exotic locations of some tours on here, but I'll be doing the Hebrides and west coast thing next year.
Going with a pal, which will be a nice change as my touring is generally done on my lonesome.
tim_f

Post by tim_f »

Ray wrote:
geocycle wrote:France for me, something loosely based on France en velo route time permitting. Btw if anyone has this route on gpx I'd be grateful. The guide is beautiful and ideal for wet Sunday reading in December. Looks like the route will be St Malo South to Cevennes then head east via Arles to Nice.

I've seen the book in the shops, but never examined it, assuming it was 'just another book about cycling in France'. Just had a quick google, and it looks good - I've put it on my late Xmas presents list!

Maybe some or all of it in 2015?

Done a similar camping trip from St Malo to Nice inspired by the same Cycle Skedale holiday that was basis for this book. It is an excellent trip, great sense of satisfaction on cycling over Mount Ventoux.
Ray

Post by Ray »

tim_f wrote:Done a similar camping trip from St Malo to Nice inspired by the same Cycle Skedale holiday that was basis for this book. It is an excellent trip, great sense of satisfaction on cycling over Mount Ventoux.

Ah, thanks, Tim. I've just been booking part of next summer's trip to France with my wife - sadly, not a cyclist - which takes us via Portsmouth - St. Malo, and then down the west side of France. Now to see whether I can sort out a bit of a bike ride later in the summer :wink: I've done Ventoux a couple of times, and would love to go again, this time up from Bedoin - you've just added to the sense of anticipation :D
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
pwa

Post by pwa »

I'm toying with the idea of a camping tour of the north of England with my wife and 16 year old daughter in August. A few years ago we did "the Way of the Roses" and liked it, so I'm thinking of a sort of double sea to sea circular tour taking in Yorkshire, Lancashire, Cumbria, etc. Obviously lots of hills, but I would want to build in flatter sections for variety. Any recommendations?
dodger

Post by dodger »

largeallan wrote:Not quite the exotic locations of some tours on here, but I'll be doing the Hebrides and west coast thing next year.
Going with a pal, which will be a nice change as my touring is generally done on my lonesome.

Sounds good to me. An area I definitely want to see. Havce read some of the earlier postings and like the Highlands and Islands anyway, so it's on the list.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Mistik-ka wrote:Mrs. M-k and I will be cycling somewhere exotic this spring: BEESTON! Which one? — All five of them, we hope. :D

Assuming you are coming to the Nottinghamshire Beeston, let us know and we can give you some pointers as to cafes, routes, etc. Lots of varied cyclists and cycling groups in Nott'm!
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

Slowroad wrote:
Mistik-ka wrote:Mrs. M-k and I will be cycling somewhere exotic this spring: BEESTON! Which one? — All five of them, we hope. :D

Assuming you are coming to the Nottinghamshire Beeston, let us know and we can give you some pointers as to cafes, routes, etc. Lots of varied cyclists and cycling groups in Nott'm!

Splendid — and thanks! Yes, Nott'm (see, you've already helped me with the native dialect) is on the list. It's beginning to look as if we might squeeze in Beeston Regis and Beeston St. Andrew (what's left of it) as well, making seven in total. When our route is a little more certain I'll post a request for planning advice in the vicinity of all the Beestons.

Happy New Year one and all! :D
ossie

Post by ossie »

Mistik-ka wrote:
alicat wrote:Wouldn't bother with the Beeston in Leeds, exotic is not an adjective that sits well in the same sentence as it.

Nobody said it was a sensible plan. (Walking from London to Edinburgh wasn't exactly sensible.) :oops:
If we were sensible, we'd probably take an all-expenses-paid cruise to somewhere warm and dry… 8)
Besides, who has the heart to break a promise made to a teddy bear? :lol:

Ignore him :D when your are in Leeds pop down Beeston Hill to Elland Road and the home of Leeds united Football club, one of the most famous Football teams in the country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leeds_United_F.C.

ankaradan

Post by ankaradan »

Don't forget Beeston Tor, in the Peak District.
fishfright

Post by fishfright »

Have you got Beeston in Cheshire on the list ?
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

Caen to Nice for me first two weeks in May 2015. Looking forward to it. I have to admit that it is a supported tour so no camping and no luggage to carry but a great route planned nevertheless. Includes part of the massif centrale and a trip up Ventoux.
Last edited by The Mechanic on 5 Jan 2015, 3:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.