TOURING 2015

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
foxyrider

Re: TOURING 2015

Post by foxyrider »

North Sea route from Rotterdam to Esbjerg - will make a change from the Alps! :D :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

The plan is to set off early April for the Harwich ferry.
Then up the Rhine and down the Loire to the coast.
Turn left for the Canal du Midi for the Med.
Turn left again to go up the Rhone.
Not sure after that but I'll be aiming for either Finland or Sweden across the Baltic.
Then back home some time in September via Denmark and the Netherlands.
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

Nothing very ambitious planned as yet, but riding a 1970s racing bike in a vintage event in Spain in April, and a south coast trip (in August) from Surrey to Lyme Regis via Portland (Dorset) to commemorate a ride my late Father did in August 1945 (he was 16) to celebrate the end of WW2.

I was going to ride the Anjou Velo (in the Loire) again, but it is not taking place in 2O15, might do the Isle of Wight Randonee.

Jon.
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

I'm hoping to do the LLC (albeit starting in Chester) in July/August.

If I can't work out the finances for that (I'm in the USA) then I'll stay local and bust my lungs doing a Colorado Loop with something over 14,000 ft of climbing over 9-days.
don1

Post by don1 »

mcallaghan wrote:I'm hoping to do the LLC (albeit starting in Chester) in July/August.

If I can't work out the finances for that (I'm in the USA) then I'll stay local and bust my lungs doing a Colorado Loop with something over 14,000 ft of climbing over 9-days.

I plan to do something similar at Easter, weather permitting.
My folks live near Chester so taking train to Holyhead from Chester and riding LLC over 4 days, then train back home.
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

Nice - I'd be flying into Heathrow. With a little luck, my friend who lives in Esher will be able to pick me up. Then we'll ride to Euston and take the train to Chester. From Chester, we'll take the NCN 5 to Bangor or Holyhead (as a warmup) then take NCN 8 down to Cardiff, doing about 50 Miles a day (loaded with camping gear). Either ride back to Esher from Cardiff or figure out the trains.
honesty

Post by honesty »

I'm looking at doing the route from Bangor to Chepstow and then carrying on to home in Taunton. 5 days B&Bing is the plan...
alicat

Post by alicat »

Mrs. M-k and I will be cycling somewhere exotic this spring: BEESTON! Which one? — All five of them, we hope. :D

Wouldn't bother with the Beeston in Leeds, exotic is not an adjective that sits well in the same sentence as it.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

honesty wrote:I'm looking at doing the route from Bangor to Chepstow and then carrying on to home in Taunton. 5 days B&Bing is the plan...

Is there a recommended route from Bangor to Chepstow?
I'm planning to do a lap of Wales on the May Bank Holiday, so this would help the route planning
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

alicat wrote:Wouldn't bother with the Beeston in Leeds, exotic is not an adjective that sits well in the same sentence as it.

Nobody said it was a sensible plan. (Walking from London to Edinburgh wasn't exactly sensible.) :oops:
If we were sensible, we'd probably take an all-expenses-paid cruise to somewhere warm and dry… 8)
Besides, who has the heart to break a promise made to a teddy bear? :lol:
ipswichcycler

Post by ipswichcycler »

Ray wrote:
geocycle wrote:France for me, something loosely based on France en velo route time permitting. Btw if anyone has this route on gpx I'd be grateful. The guide is beautiful and ideal for wet Sunday reading in December. Looks like the route will be St Malo South to Cevennes then head east via Arles to Nice.

I've seen the book in the shops, but never examined it, assuming it was 'just another book about cycling in France'. Just had a quick google, and it looks good - I've put it on my late Xmas presents list!

Maybe some or all of it in 2015?

I'm flying to Nice at the end of July and cycling back to UK. Also interested if anyone has the gpx route. If not I will make one myself sometime
whoof

Post by whoof »

Last June we (me and Mrs Whoof) rode from Toulouse to Nice taking in Taracon, Avignon and Mount Ventoux. We camped and the weather was brillant no rain, hot and sunny every day.
In August rode from Bristol to Holyhead and stayed in B and Bs. There was a headwind all the way including the tail end of a hurricane. Still loved every minute of it.

This year we are riding Strasbourg to Geneva again camping. The straight line distance is not very far but we are taking two weeks are going a winding route taking in some nice climbs.

Haven't decided on a week in August yet.
gplhl

Post by gplhl »

Hi all, when I get back, I'm looking to possibly cycle the circumference of Britain then do a LEJOG & back JOGLE to finish.

Be interested to hear from anyone else who's done the entire coast, also looking at possibly adding Ireland, IOW, IOM, Gurnsey and Jersey.

Gary
www.longbikeride.co.uk
honesty

Post by honesty »

mnichols wrote:
honesty wrote:I'm looking at doing the route from Bangor to Chepstow and then carrying on to home in Taunton. 5 days B&Bing is the plan...

Is there a recommended route from Bangor to Chepstow?
I'm planning to do a lap of Wales on the May Bank Holiday, so this would help the route planning

The LLC has a branch that goes through Hay on Wye and on to Chepstow rather than going down to Cardiff
matt2matt2002

Pamir Highway

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Looks like after x years of planning, I am off in June to Bishkek and then along the Pamir Highway.
Still lots to arrange but most importantly, my wife has allowed me 2 months off the leash.

Anyone here been that way, please contact me.

Matt
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.