TOURING 2015

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
dodger

TOURING 2015

Post by dodger »

Season's Greetings to everyone.
This is the time of the year I really get into thinking about touring next year and it's great to read about all the tours people are planning or just considering.
Care to share these with us all?
For example, I'm hoping to cycle from Bayonne to Santiago on the Pilgrim Trail. I covered half the route (from Roscoff to Bayonne) last year, but retired when the awful weather didn't let up.
So maybe next June!!
MrsHJ

Re: TOURING 2015

Post by MrsHJ »

Sounds good. It would be fun to finish off at the Rias Baixas too or to continue on down the Portuguese coast.

I'm only likely to do some long weekends away with the kids/family next year I think doing UK stuff- not a bad thing and we'd get to try out the new single man tent if all 4 of us cycle camp (with the 3 man coleman- I'm not proposing squishing everyone in!). I failed to get the kids to do the devon Coast to Coast last half term so that's high in the list but there are some other good long weekends I'd like to do.

I might do a trip with the girls if I can find 10 days free- Poland has been on our joint list for some time, the girls tend to prefer B&Bs these days so no tent testing.

However I am also planning my big escape in spring 2019 when I have a big birthday. Then I will take 3 months off work and do a long trip I hope. Maybe the Southern tier of the US, maybe eurovelo 6 if the family wants to do some of it, maybe somewhere else I haven't considered yet.
Last edited by MrsHJ on 14 Dec 2014, 1:10pm, edited 2 times in total.
dodger

Post by dodger »

I like the idea of continuing down into Portugal, although maybe that can wait for another adventure.
Poland also sounds good - go for it! Maybe Slovenia and the Czech Republic. I think the Carpathians are considered an interesting area to tour. And the USA would be wonderful; my preference would be for some of the mountain states, like Colorado. Enjoy.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

France for me, something loosely based on France en velo route time permitting. Btw if anyone has this route on gpx I'd be grateful. The guide is beautiful and ideal for wet Sunday reading in December. Looks like the route will be St Malo South to Cevennes then head east via Arles to Nice.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

My dream for September next year was to do the pilgrim route too but starting from Roscoff and then adding the necessary time to get to Santander for the ferry home. With a full time job it's virtually impossible to fit into two weeks and even two and a half weeks is a stretch. However, some family issues mean that it might have to wait :(

I like the planning though!
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
honesty

Post by honesty »

I supposedly walking the two moors way next year, so doubt I will be allowed another holiday away from the wife. If I do, it'll be the LLC for me, though am toying with the idea of the tour de manche instead. Other than that the only ride I have planned is the Exmouth Exodus.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

honesty wrote:I supposedly walking the two moors way next year, so doubt I will be allowed another holiday away from the wife. If I do, it'll be the LLC for me, though am toying with the idea of the tour de manche instead. Other than that the only ride I have planned is the Exmouth Exodus.

LLCymru is excellent, if hilly. Tour de Manche is easier but longer with ferries to deal with. Recommend both although French food is an attraction!
dodger

Post by dodger »

Where does the Tour de Manche go? I like cycling in France. Could be an option if I can get permission!
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

dodger wrote:Where does the Tour de Manche go? I like cycling in France. Could be an option if I can get permission!

There's various options depending how long you've got. I did Cherbourg to Roscoff http://en.tourdemanche.com
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

dodger wrote:Where does the Tour de Manche go? I like cycling in France. Could be an option if I can get permission!

The full thing is the North Coast of Brittany, South Coast of Normandy, along the centre South of Dorset and Devon. We met a Dutch family last year who found the Dorset and Devon sections too steep for the kids but obviously you can choose which bits you do. 1200km for the whole thing according to a quick google.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Eight countries in eight weeks is what Pauline is planning for us. The rest of the year will be made up of a couple of solo tours and meeting up with others at various rallies.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
honesty

Post by honesty »

MrsHJ wrote:

The full thing is the North Coast of Brittany, South Coast of Normandy, along the centre South of Dorset and Devon. We met a Dutch family last year who found the Dorset and Devon sections too steep for the kids but obviously you can choose which bits you do. 1200km for the whole thing according to a quick google.

I think that distance figure includes the ferry crossing distances. I think the cycled distance is around 750k. There's also the petit tour de manche which is about half that as well. I can cycle from home to the route as well which helps.
Ray

Post by Ray »

geocycle wrote:France for me, something loosely based on France en velo route time permitting. Btw if anyone has this route on gpx I'd be grateful. The guide is beautiful and ideal for wet Sunday reading in December. Looks like the route will be St Malo South to Cevennes then head east via Arles to Nice.

I've seen the book in the shops, but never examined it, assuming it was 'just another book about cycling in France'. Just had a quick google, and it looks good - I've put it on my late Xmas presents list!

Maybe some or all of it in 2015?
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Hoping to dawdle around Suffolks Painters Trail in 2015 with my watercolours. After falling off, my shoulder is still not right and am hoping for an op to set it right. Was going last September but my accident prevented it. Picked up an info pack from the Information Centre in Lavenham this morning. They still have 1 copy left if anyone wants one.
Probably do something across the channel too.. Wish it was further afield.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

Mrs. M-k and I will be cycling somewhere exotic this spring: BEESTON! Which one? — All five of them, we hope. :D

In April we'll fly over from Canada with our tandem bike and set off from Oxford, where I have relatives. Over five or six weeks we'll meander as far north as Leeds and as far south as Bedfordshire, crossing some of the paths we rambled in younger days, meeting some friends we've only known by email, and travelling through parts of England that we've not seen before. Why visits the Beestons? — Why not? :wink:

For years we've travelled with a small mascot teddy bear named Beeston (after Beeston Castle, where we acquired him while walking from London to Edinburgh). Visiting all the Beestons (and maybe Beeston Regis if time permits) is an arbitrary framework on which to hang a journey of exploration.