Default tourer?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mrjemm

Re: Default tourer?

Post by mrjemm »

reohn2 wrote:Will the Tubus rack not articulate on the joint bolt and bolt to the fixing eyelet in front of the wheel axle?
It could also negate the need for spacers on the top fixing.
I'd prefer the Tubus rack with the stabilising loop.

Not quite sure what you're saying here R2... unless you really are suggesting putting the rack where it would stop you removing the wheel? :?

The Salsa racks are really quite rigid, they are mounted both sides of the fork legs, but the loop is certainly the way to go. There are mounting points on the top of the downunders to join it up with the Salsa Minimalist rack, effectively making a loop, but that would all be a tad 'bodgy', and not super stiff I suspect. Also the min is expensive for what it is. I think ideally I'd be better having another braze on mount a little lower on the rearside of the fork, but the disc mount would be in the way... Otherwise go Thorn style and have another braze on higher up the mid fork, maybe on the rear face, dunno. Otherwise accept the need for spacers...

Just be glad the normal Vayas don't have the silly Alternator dropouts at the rear end, which had me getting more mounts brazed on. Now Ihave though, it all works really well at the back for me. Hmmm, think I may go down the batcave and look at these again, maybe snap some snaps... :)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mrjemm wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Will the Tubus rack not articulate on the joint bolt and bolt to the fixing eyelet in front of the wheel axle?
It could also negate the need for spacers on the top fixing.
I'd prefer the Tubus rack with the stabilising loop.

Not quite sure what you're saying here R2... unless you really are suggesting putting the rack where it would stop you removing the wheel? :?

Ah! :idea: ,forgot about the forward facing Vaya dropouts.
But if you needed to remove the front wheel would it be such a bad thing if you had to remove the skewer before dropping the wheel out?
You'd need spacer for the bottom fitting but I'd imagine it would be the same case for the DT fork(which I'm sure the Straggler and DT share looking at the Surly site)

Here's a Fargo(similar fork) with a Tubus rack fitted:- http://s11.photobucket.com/user/midlife ... 6.jpg.html

I know you're sorted with the extra brazeons up the fork legs,which TBH are ideally placed and look do a great job :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

That is odd... notice the rack is backwards to normal- the curving loops pointing rearwards.

Anyway, decided to sack off looking at bikes and go ride my VT instead! See you all later... :D
mrjemm

Serious word eating time

Post by mrjemm »

ForkTarasm.jpg

After my quick ride (had to be back for an errand :( ), I got distracted while cleaning up after... That's my newer forks that I'd not tried on (having built newer VT with original forks), though may well work with both sets. This is with the spacer and a washer, and it works. :oops: Unsure if I'd previously not used a washer with the spacer, but thought I had, hmmm. Most embarrassing. Haven't tried fitting a wheel yet, but can't see why it wouldn't work. At 1st I thought the disc caliper (or bolt) would get in way, but that'd be on the inside.

Sorry for leading you all up the garden path with my screw up. :oops: :oops: :oops:

ForkTara2sm.jpg

Another view.

I wish they still made these forks with the other type of caliper mount (post?), but I guess this type allows use of different size discs by using alternate adaptors.
cnb

Post by cnb »

I'm pleased you did that..I thought that i might have to look into getting a new rack... :)
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

cnb wrote:I'm pleased you did that..I thought that i might have to look into getting a new rack... :)

Ha! I'd been considering selling the Tara, so you almost coulda got a bargain... :lol:

Oh, hang on... I'm being daft. You mean rather than a Tubus. :oops: (again :) ).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mr Jemm
That's how it should fit(your last photos),and the rack's extra eyelet is for the m/g stays.
I'd envisaged bolted to the front d/out eyelet hence the 'remove skewer' comment.

As an aside I'm not keen on those hooks facing forward,taylor made for grabbing vegetation/plastic bags/bits of wire,etc when riding in the wilds.Could cause a nasty faceplant :shock:
W H Auden
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

I think you'd have to be very unlucky to catch the rack so badly, but I've struggled to get on with it anyway. I think you may've read about my issues on our US trip with the bags coming off it several times, resulting in them being trashed and me abandoning them in a hotel room in St Augustin, FL. :evil: It could've been down to the (my mistaken it seems...) poor set up of the Tara. I found the loop wasn't enough for the lower clip to hold, and along with the flexing of the top hooks, led to the bottmom ones flicking off and letting the bags flap out and then cath in the wheel... and get pierced by that loop end...

So, actually could easily have face planted after all. And at the time was riding a cycle path which was no more than a very poorly laid pavement, sorry sidewalk, next to a busy freeway: at this point on the edge of Orlando at the start of our trip. Double grrr.

Discussed at length, and maybe tied with this, showing my rubbishness at getting things set up well... viewtopic.php?f=1&t=87388
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Just had a silly thought...

As I usually take small panniers for my junk and some shopping (usually one actually, shame on me...), perhaps I should experiment with the super hip way of doing things (hahahahahahaha) , a lá AWOL, and just put my load on the front for a while to test my new rack set up.

But then again maybe not.

1) I may trash another set of Ortliebs.
2) I may have a beard and a super cycle, but ain't no hipster.
3) I'd only want to use 1 pannier, and is probably even worse on front than back.
4) Don't want my Vaya mistaken for an AWOL.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Yep,I'm familiar with your detachment issues(or should that be casting off,you being a mariner an all :) )
Would the rearward facing hooks have helped any,or could it have been just unsuitable pannier fitting or user error?
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mrjemm wrote:Just had a silly thought...

As I usually take small panniers for my junk and some shopping (usually one actually, shame on me...), perhaps I should experiment with the super hip way of doing things (hahahahahahaha) , a lá AWOL, and just put my load on the front for a while to test my new rack set up.

But then again maybe not.

1) I may trash another set of Ortliebs.
2) I may have a beard and a super cycle, but ain't no hipster.
3) I'd only want to use 1 pannier, and is probably even worse on front than back.
4) Don't want my Vaya mistaken for an AWOL.

1)nooo don't want to do that too costly
2)Having met you,you could pass for one with a bit of wax on the mousetache maybe.Though i'm not sure if that's a complement or not :?
3)No,one pannier on the front is decidedly unZen or uncool and unHipsterish.
4)Oh Noooooo,that's not allowed,you could never again lift your head among the Vaya community again,we have our standards to uphold and AWOLalike isn't included therein!
W H Auden
PH

Post by PH »

Am I still in the right thread?
reohn2 wrote:Takes some beating,when you never hear or read a bad word about them.....

You're right that you don't hear much bad about them. But you can't fail to notice how often they come up for sale second hand. I don't think many people undertake the purchase of a £1,000+ bike lightly and if they're selling it after a short period of time my theory is it must have disappointed them in some way. Maybe not the bikes fault, maybe they didn't realise what they were getting, maybe it didn't turn out to be what they thought. Of course it's only a theory, and there are of course many reasons for selling a bike. Including my own, I sold because I had the chance to upgrade and the compromises with running it with Rohloff led me to a custom frame that isn't a lot different to the LHT.
If I was in the market for a full on tourer, the LHT would definitely be on the short list, but it wouldn't be there on it's own, I can think of a few other bikes that equally deserve a place.

OK... back to the Salsas now...
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

I do think if I had no bikes already and wanted something for a prolonged bike trip, a 26" trucker would be likely my 1st investigation. As it stands my Vaya is No1 bike, while my Orange P7 (not much P7 left, but...) is my 26" toy, and very close in nature to a 26" LHT/DT (has both brake mounts, 8) ).

As for the 2nd hand preponderance, I wonder if that's lots of folk having fantasies of quitting the rat race, or even just taking 6 months and going off for an adventure, and then having to face reality.

R2... Wax on my tache? Not a hope! Cheeky feller. :lol:

And I don't think a backwards Tara would work- nothing to stop the panniers flapping about. If you look further into the photobucket you linked to, he shows going between the 2 directions, so perhaps realised his mistake, or was experimenting.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

mrjemm wrote:
As for the 2nd hand preponderance, I wonder if that's lots of folk having fantasies of quitting the rat race, or even just taking 6 months and going off for an adventure, and then having to face reality.

cycle away into the sunset until they see the storm clouds in the distance...
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PH wrote:Am I still in the right thread?

Thread drift happens from time to time :)
You're right that you don't hear much bad about them. But you can't fail to notice how often they come up for sale second hand. I don't think many people undertake the purchase of a £1,000+ bike lightly and if they're selling it after a short period of time my theory is it must have disappointed them in some way. Maybe not the bikes fault, maybe they didn't realise what they were getting, maybe it didn't turn out to be what they thought. Of course it's only a theory, and there are of course many reasons for selling a bike.

Yes you do see a few for sale,and no doubt there's different reasons for that.But it doesn't mean the bike's a bad one.
There's a lot of people with touring stars in their eyes that are never reached for due to real life realisations.
There are a lot of Galaxy's up for sale too,and whilst the Gal' is an old 'un,you see quite a few newish ones for sale.

If I was in the market for a full on tourer, the LHT would definitely be on the short list, but it wouldn't be there on it's own, I can think of a few other bikes that equally deserve a place.

Care to name a few?

OK... back to the Salsas now...

Well if you must :wink:
Last edited by reohn2 on 20 Dec 2014, 6:19pm, edited 2 times in total.
W H Auden