Default tourer?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
reohn2

Default tourer?

Post by reohn2 »

On a very cold day I've been browsing the Fully Loaded website.
Going off the number of photos of Surly LHT's on the site gallery,is it the default touring bike and does it deserve the accolade?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
PH

Re: Default tourer?

Post by PH »

Surly certainly hit the jackpot with it, right bike, right time, right price and some great marketing. I suspect many of those on that site are American, where it's a real bargain, I don't think they have the choice we do.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Disc trucker too. All that juvenile surliness on their site is all a marketing smoke screen. They have really sat down and thought things through. Amazing bikes. I have one. And I will die upon my steed...hc
Si

Post by Si »

Well, it certainly ain't the Galaxy any more!

Although, not that I've really counted, but I think I see more Thorns than Surlys on the road.
irc

Post by irc »

I can't fault mine. Flawless handling loaded or unloaded. Clearance for 700x42s and mudguards though I run 700x35s. Great choice of sizes. 26" or 700c.

Much better handling than the 531ST Galaxy it replaced. The only "flaw" may be that it is a loaded touring bike. Light riders might find it too stiff unloaded. So it isn't a do-it-all bike.

nowhere.JPG
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Heltor Chasca wrote:......... And I will die upon my steed...hc

I sincerely hope you don't.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Si wrote:Well, it certainly ain't the Galaxy any more!

And not for a long time!

Although, not that I've really counted, but I think I see more Thorns than Surlys on the road.

That could be a matter of geography,not that I've anything against Thorn IMO they're good bikes,but at around £320 for a frameset SurlyLHT and DT's are pretty good value for a well thought out bit of kit.
Built up with kit of choice and such a bike is a world beater IMO, that most definitely won't break the bank.
W H Auden
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

PH wrote:Surly certainly hit the jackpot with it, right bike, right time, right price and some great marketing. I suspect many of those on that site are American, where it's a real bargain, I don't think they have the choice we do.

I am quite surprised that this could be thought possible. They certainly have a very wide range of bikes available in the US, and as I understand it, a higher level of disposable income than here along with many many custom builders and a healthy/ier cycle culture. It is possibly that Surly is a bigger name in the US than here, what with it being a US brand, which is a good selling point of course.

For me, Soma, with their Saga/Saga Disc are amongst other brands available more widely in the US than here. Also, Novara, which I believe is the own brand of REI, is a popular name for touring bikes if I am not mistaken, with the Randonee being a well regarded one I think.

I've never ridden a Long Haul (or Disc) Trucker, but have seen numerous and looked closely at several. They always appear very well designed and solidly built. For me, the only drawback (as a disc brake preferer (my word)) is the ugliness (in my eyes) of the drop outs of the DT, and maybe also the traditional horizontal toptube design, which tends to result in mucho spacerism when a comfy set-up is arrived at. But these are just aesthetics, and barely important in the grand scheme of things.

I see a Surly every day, but that's Mme's Straggler, and tis a great bike, though perhaps not so suited for touring as we'd've liked- mudguards are proving an issue right now, which isn't a problem for LHT/DTs. As for the comparison against Thorns- can't see the reason folk go for Thorns except the outdated cachet or reputation they've claimed for themselves- Surlys are clearly not inferior and yet cheaper. Better colours and styling too...

If you want to see just how popular the LHTs are, similar to Fully Loaded, but I think bigger, is the CGOAB equivalent, where LHTs alone have 34 pages!

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=S ... 8000&v=4GB
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mrjemm wrote:and maybe also the traditional horizontal toptube design, which tends to result in mucho spacerism when a comfy set-up is arrived at.

Yes, I know exactly what you mean. I saw a Disc Trucker in Brixton Cycles redcently.

It looks like a supremely capable bike but the thing you pointed out does bug me. Some configurations can look like two wheels on a farm gate. Apart from the aesthetics, I find a sloping tube far more practical.

I don't suppose Surly are going to change the design though.

So I'll just have to lump it.
Sweep
PH

Post by PH »

mrjemm wrote:
PH wrote:Surly certainly hit the jackpot with it, right bike, right time, right price and some great marketing. I suspect many of those on that site are American, where it's a real bargain, I don't think they have the choice we do.

I am quite surprised that this could be thought possible. They certainly have a very wide range of bikes available in the US, and as I understand it, a higher level of disposable income than here along with many many custom builders and a healthy/ier cycle culture. It is possibly that Surly is a bigger name in the US than here, what with it being a US brand, which is a good selling point of course.

My American friends tell me that before the popularity of the LHT, touring bikes were very much a niche item and the choice for off the peg affordable models was usually the Trek 520 and Cannondale Touring. The other thing is that the choice has now increased thanks to the LHT popularity, I don't think SOMA (Which is a make I like, I have the ES) had a specific touring bike until recently.
DaleFTW

Post by DaleFTW »

Disc Trucker > LHT.

Absolutely love mine. Best bike I've ever owned. Mine was bought when I got a refund on a Genesis Day01 Alfine 11 that spent more time in the workshop than on the road.

I don't think they're expensive at all. Before I got mine, I sat down and priced up everything I wanted - steel frame, BB7s, XT hubs laced to good rims, bar end shifters, etc. and the individual parts came to what I paid for the DT. Other brands skimp on things like rims/crankset, Surly don't. Every part of their bikes are properly thought out.
rannochraider

Post by rannochraider »

Yes, I'd agree with Dale. The Surly Disc Trucker is a special bike to ride. I was on and off numerous road and mountain bikes for amateur racing and for just faffing around lots were fun but that was it. I had a break from cycling for a while and when I got back to it I thought, I like the feel of steel and I want to get back to low tech, basic, enjoyable riding on something that brings a smile to the face mile after mile. I had a look at a lot of bikes but when I got a test ride on the disc trucker I knew I'd found what I was looking for. I love it! It's a fantastic bike that makes you want to use it.
I'm now progressing to longer rides on it and looking at a decent tour fully loaded and I have every confidence in the Disc Trucker for the job. 10 / 10 from me.

Cheers
Jim
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

PH wrote:My American friends tell me that before the popularity of the LHT, touring bikes were very much a niche item and the choice for off the peg affordable models was usually the Trek 520 and Cannondale Touring. The other thing is that the choice has now increased thanks to the LHT popularity, I don't think SOMA (Which is a make I like, I have the ES) had a specific touring bike until recently.

I thought the Soma Saga had been going quite some time, while the Disc was only a recent addition. You may well be right though about affordable touring bikes, I don't really know; it's largely an assumption on my part that they'd be better off for such things. Perhaps the psychology there is less thrifty, and a less 'affordable' touring bike is seen as an investment, leading to more high profile brands in this market, such as Rivendell, Gunnar, etc. I dunno.

Where we have such names as Hewitt, Ghyllside and others selling a standard Taiwanese frameset in their own colours, I would again make a leap and guess that something similar would likely be offered by local/regional cycle stores (gotta use the lingo!) over there, perhaps even the very same framesets from the very same factory.

Just wondering in my head about the idea that there's an equivalent to Spa over there. Harris Cycles perhaps? http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/bikes.html Interesting to note the brands there; a significant proportion being UK names.

Sweep wrote:Some configurations can look like two wheels on a farm gate.

26" Wheels in a largish frame... Oh my, those are... erm, 'niche' products indeed. Ahem.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Here you go, Soma compared to Surly...

vs

:wink:
Dafydd17

Post by Dafydd17 »

and maybe also the traditional horizontal toptube design, which tends to result in mucho spacerism when a comfy set-up is arrived at.

I'm afraid I haven't a clue what you mean here (spacerism?) - could you please explain?

Thought for today:
"You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think"