Default tourer?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
simonhill

Re: Default tourer?

Post by simonhill »

I'm not sure about the marketing.

When I bought my LHT nearly 3 years ago, I had hardly seen an advert for Surlys. I knew about them from reading about them on 'international' sites like Lonely Planet and crazyguy. I also saw a few of them on the road. In fact I always thought of Surly as a small niche manufacturer

Contrast this to the 2 or 3 page Thorn ads that used to appear in each edition of Cycle, plus regular ads by Dawes, etc.

I'm not saying Surly don't have slick advertising, its just that I never saw it before I bought and rarely see it now.

Remember also that many of us aren't able to do lots of comparisons. A short test ride is about it! Hence the value of regular good recommendations by other touring cyclists.
PH

Post by PH »

There’s a lot more to marketing than the advertising, the way Surly present themselves on their own website and through their distributers builds up a feel for what you’re buying into. That’s not a criticism of either the presentation or the product, it is a large part of their success. It’s no secret that they’re part of a large group, neither is it an accident that it’s not the impression you get.
IMO the LHT is a good touring bike, I’m not surprised that those posting on this thread that do a lot of touring are happy with them, I’d be surprised if they weren’t. It’s also my opinion that there are other equally good touring bikes that have not gained the same status and I’m still convinced that many people who buy any of these full on touring bikes would have been better off with something else.
irc

Post by irc »

PH wrote: I’m still convinced that many people who buy any of these full on touring bikes would have been better off with something else.

I think you are right. A frame that I think is ideal for me at 15 or 16 stone plus 30 or 40 pounds gear, food, and water can't also be ideal for someone half my weight travelling light. But for the average rider with camping loads it's pretty good. There are other bikes as good but I'm not sure there are many, if any, better. As I've said before for me it's ideal riding loaded but a bit stiff unloaded. So for light riderdsand loads it may be a touch stiffer than needed. That said a frame slightly stiffer than ideal is maybe better than one too flexible as a less than ideal comfort is better than compromised handling under load.

The LHT is tried and tested, relatively cheap, has great tyre clearance. The only other dedicated touring frames I've owned are a 90s Galaxy and the Spa Steel tourer. The Galaxy had flawed handling with a shimmy and too much flex loaded for me.

The Spa is as good as the LHT so far though I've not used it fully loaded yet. Comfortable predictable handling. Perhaps a fraction faster steering than the LHT.

So yes there are plenty competent touring frames but with the chances to test ride loaded touring bikes being few and far between going for a popular bike that almost all owners are happy with is understandable.
Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

It may not be as important for other folk but the reason I opted for the Disc Trucker was the availability of the frame in a 62cm size. The Galaxy, Panorama, Spa don't offer a size larger than a 58 or 60cm.
gplhl

Default tourer?

Post by gplhl »

irc wrote:
irc wrote: chances to test ride loaded touring bikes being few and far between.

Test riding unloaded, a good point! My bike feels and handles terribly unloaded (compared to a road bike) but when loaded its a completely different beast, it's amazing.

If I'd had to go by the unloaded test ride I'd never have bought it.

Gary
wwww.longbikeride.co.uk
chris3vic

Post by chris3vic »

I got rid of my Galaxy due to endless ankle pain (still don't know why) and bought a Surly LHT. I didn't believe you could fall in love with a bike, but after one, yes ONE, ride I just love it. I just don't bother riding anything else. I was worried about the weight and the 26" wheels of my 54cm setup, but I needn't have. I get stopped often from people wanting to look at it. Nothing is going to make those big climbs any easier, only me, but for long distance comfort with endless options for customisation I am officially a one bike man.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I have been riding a Thorn Club Tour as a commuter (over dark and dirty country lanes) and a leisure bike for quite a few years. I don't remember when I bought it, but it was when they cost £699! It's gone through a few pairs of wheels and numerous chain rings, and I'm no longer sure how much of it is original, but I still use it as much as I did when it was new.

If it had been a lighter frame it would probably have met its end several years ago when I was floored by a van at low speed. I rolled, and the bike disappeared under the front of the van. I got up (bruised) and the driver and myself pulled the bike out. The frame was practically unmarked, and everything was working perfectly.

For a commute over hilly terrain and with some poor road surfaces this style of bike is unbeatable, especially when you consider the ability to carry panniers with changes of clothing etc. About the only thing I would change if I were buying today would be the brakes. I would prefer discs to avoid having to replace wheels due to worn rims.
chocjohn9

Post by chocjohn9 »

I see that the "longbikeride" chap, who is pro-LHT, has the surname HEWITT :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fretz54

Post by Fretz54 »

I got a DT for my birthday in December, and have riden it every day. I did lots of research and for the money it is a great bike. I have done various tours LEJOG and coast to coast etc, but the DT is by far the best bike Iv'e ridden. I have already booked a tour of the Isles of MAN In June and I'm looking forwardto going over to Clitheroe for the May bank holidays. The festivel of cycle touring. Hope to see you there.
For the money the Surly does it for me.

Graham.