Default tourer?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
reohn2

Re: Default tourer?

Post by reohn2 »

foxyrider wrote:No gripe, i just prefer something that is lighter and i can chuck around on the trails a bit.

A tourer doesn't have to be built like a tank, if thats what you like, fair enough but its not for me

Tell us more,what would be a better tourer IYO

FWIW my default tourer would be what I already have (Salsa Vaya) which can be chucked around a bit,and also can carry a load,it has pluses the LHT/DT doesn't which is personal preference.
But generally for load lugging you'd struggle to find a tourer weighing less then say 12kg that would be as durable and carry heavy,four pannier loads.
I realise that some people are capable of touring with extremely light loads,if that's your thing then a lighter bike will fit the bill but I think bikes like the LH/DT are what's termed as 'expedition' tourers.

There's a difference between default tourer and personal choice,but perhaps we can look at what challenges the LHT/DT bike's enviable reputation.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

The Salsa Vaya is ok with a credit card load touring load on the back, but I am going to have to fit front panniers (which I hate) to carrying a camping load. I suspect that the 26" wheeled SDT would cope with everything on the back although I cant prove it. My standard Vaya 3 isnt particularly light - 13.5kg with mudguards bottle cages and a rack. Its a nice bike though and you can throw it about a bit.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I have to say, if I was going to replace my Vantage with any bike, it would be an LHT.
I like the simplicity of it and the endless favourable reviews and stories of them coping with just about anything make it all the more appealing.
My one gripe is that Surly don't do a 700c wheeled version in leprechaun size so I'd have to get new wheels, tyres, tubes and mudguards. Everything else on my bike would just swap straight over.
Given that the Vantage is a harsh bugger due to that stupid big thick aero down tube which leaves problems fitting down tube shifters and all sorts of other stupidity from Dawes, the LHT is on my wish list :)
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote:The Salsa Vaya is ok with a credit card load touring load on the back, but I am going to have to fit front panniers (which I hate) to carrying a camping load. I suspect that the 26" wheeled SDT would cope with everything on the back although I cant prove it. My standard Vaya 3 isnt particularly light - 13.5kg with mudguards bottle cages and a rack. Its a nice bike though and you can throw it about a bit.

Al

TBH I think it all depends on how much weight you carry and where you put it,if there's a large weight on the back on a flexible rack,with a tent on top the tail will definitely wag the dog to a greater or lesser extent.
I suspect that could be partly if not all of you're problems with the Vaya,though I haven't ridden a Vaya loaded many have,who testify to it being a capable loaded tourer.
Credit card touring isn't carrying a load anywhere near what the Vaya is capable of IMO.
W H Auden
cnb

Post by cnb »

I have a Salsa Vaya 3..(As well as the Disc Trucker)...Its a lovely bike to ride and i would have no reservations about riding it fully loaded..
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

I've ridden both my vayas with 'full' load (camping but no catering) on tours, and on the original there was maybe a little flex, but it was great for the purposes generally, while the Travel has been better, being perhaps a tad stiffer. I'd have no hesitation touring fully loaded on either type again in the blink of an eye. Dream of it in fact.

I like using front panniers. The problem with the Vaya in this regard is that the fork ends are a pain the bum for fitting one- needs more spacing than I like, so ended up getting extra mounts brazed on... The Salsa Downunder racks (which fit fine) got worn thin, so moved to Tubus, but the mounts I had fitted are in iffy position for these.

Currently rarely ride anything but my VT, for everything, and 2 large panniers full of shopping is normal, and fine'n dandy (Tubus fly).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mrjemm wrote:I've ridden both my vayas with 'full' load (camping but no catering) on tours, and on the original there was maybe a little flex, but it was great for the purposes generally, while the Travel has been better, being perhaps a tad stiffer. I'd have no hesitation touring fully loaded on either type again in the blink of an eye. Dream of it in fact.

I like using front panniers. The problem with the Vaya in this regard is that the fork ends are a pain the bum for fitting one- needs more spacing than I like, so ended up getting extra mounts brazed on... The Salsa Downunder racks (which fit fine) got worn thin, so moved to Tubus, but the mounts I had fitted are in iffy position for these.

Currently rarely ride anything but my VT, for everything, and 2 large panniers full of shopping is normal, and fine'n dandy (Tubus fly).

FWIW the rack eyelets on the Surly DT front fork aren't any different than the Vaya's
W H Auden
hamster

Post by hamster »

Vantage wrote:My one gripe is that Surly don't do a 700c wheeled version in leprechaun size so I'd have to get new wheels, tyres, tubes and mudguards. Everything else on my bike would just swap straight over.

It's probably because they don't like the geometry compromises. My fast road bike has toe overlap (50cm frame, 23c tyres and size 8 shoes) and the avoidance of toe overlap probably would make handling unpleasant. My tourer has 26" wheels and handles tidily at all speeds with 4 panniers and a barbag. Cannondale do tourers with toe overlap but I wouldn't like that for a fully laden bike with fat tyres, guards and toeclips.
cnb

Post by cnb »

With regards to the Disc Trucker..I didn't have a problem fitting a Tubus front rack..I haven't tried it on the Vaya yet , can't see it being a problem though..
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Interested to see the trucker. Must do a few audaxes in the spring and see what the tail end group are riding ( no point in trying to catch the super fast crew at the front).

I've got a list of things for the next bike (like most of us), rohlof is a strong contender, really good frame fitting etc. the main thing for,me is for it to be non flashy. The current model is navy blue with black trim and butterfly bars. Everyone assumes it's a heavy weight dutch plodder at a quick glance instead of a very nice kona. Makes it a lot less nickable. Now I just need to worry about the kids islabikes.

Edit: yep, no toe overlap would be nice. I'm not entirely sure what the fix will be but I'm guessing that for a shortie like me moving to 26in wheels instead of 700c would help. I've long legs ( long femurs) so good for cycling but the short body messes with the frame dimensions.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

no Galaxys here? how things have changed? Me my trusty Dawes 1-Down. Now 15 years old and still looks good apart from the mudguards that have gone the alloy mould so to be replaced.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

cnb wrote:With regards to the Disc Trucker..I didn't have a problem fitting a Tubus front rack..I haven't tried it on the Vaya yet , can't see it being a problem though..

The bosses are my adaptation. The oem mounts would require more than a standard spacer, which is too much twisting potential for my liking. Posted other pics a few times in past re this when building original Vaya, couldn't say where though, on tablet at mo, so not so easy to do such stuff. As shown though, the higher mounting results in poor angle of lowriders.

The fixing should go on the far dropout mount, the rack pushes aginst the fork which sticks out relative to dropout.

Tubus and Salsa racks on 2x Vaya forks for comparison, and show better funny alignment of tubus on my adaptation.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

I should add that I fitted a Tubus Tara to Mme's Straggler the same day and that was no problem, with the fork dropout being recessed far less. I'd guess the DT fork more like the Straggler than Vaya. Certainly looks the same, unlike the Vaya ones. Vaya the better bike though... 8)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Will the Tubus rack not articulate on the joint bolt and bolt to the fixing eyelet in front of the wheel axle?
It could also negate the need for spacers on the top fixing.
I'd prefer the Tubus rack with the stabilising loop.
W H Auden
cnb

Post by cnb »

Thanks for posting the pics of the front fork fittings..I haven't tried to fit a front rack to the Vaya so i probably should have kept my gob shut regarding fitting the rack :D ...I'll give it a go sometime.My DT is my choice for loaded touring and i mainly use the Vaya for day rides..Horses for courses..Both good bikes though...