Default tourer?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mrjemm

Re: Default tourer?

Post by mrjemm »

So many headset spacers being needed to raise the bars to a useable level. Everything starts to look silly after a while, whereas a sloping toptube design could've been so much neater.
DaleFTW

Post by DaleFTW »

mrjemm wrote:So many headset spacers being needed to raise the bars to a useable level. Everything starts to look silly after a while, whereas a sloping toptube design could've been so much neater.

Oh aye, cos a 3 foot long headtube would look so much better...

Having a shorter headtube and more spacers = more flexibility to get a bike that fits. I have 10mm under my stem and I've left 30mm on top. With a longer headtube, I couldn't get that fit.
cnb

Post by cnb »

Another +1 for the Disc Trucker...Great bike imo..But i do agree it can look a bit gappy esp with the larger frame and smaller wheel size..I swapped the stock tyres for something a little fatter and with the SKS guards think it looks how a touring bike should...Handles great loaded too.
006.JPG
PH

Post by PH »

mrjemm wrote:So many headset spacers being needed to raise the bars to a useable level. Everything starts to look silly after a while, whereas a sloping toptube design could've been so much neater.

Except that in many cases a sloping top tube doesn't mean a longer headtube. Thorn bikes are a good example of both the slope and the use of spacers.
Anyway, who's to say what looks silly? Many people don't like the look of sloping top tubes.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

if you are tall 6 foot + unless you want a farmers gate frame then lots of spacers needed? My 1-Down on the smaller sizes has a sloping top tube but not really on the 57cm largest frame. if loads of spaces works then fine by me
PH

Post by PH »

mrjemm wrote:I thought the Soma Saga had been going quite some time,

The Saga has been available since 2010 apparently, so not as recently as I thought. The LHT first appeared in 2004, so my point that it was the right bike at the right time still stands, by the time some of the others had caught up the LHT had already established itself.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Had my LHT 2 1/2 years now. Very happy with it. Can't really compare cos only had 2 other bikes before, it is certainly better than my last MTB convert.

I'd wanted one for a while but didn't like the spec of the stock bike and would have had to spend lots converting to straight bars, etc. When they brought out frame only and started doing 26" wheels in any frame size I immediately ordered from my LBS.

Mainly Deore build, more than adequate for the job.

Love it, would be looking at it now if it hadn't been left behind in Dubai! Awaiting home delivery in the morning. Still it saved me carting it back from Gatwick on a frosty morning.

About 22,000 kms so far, 14 touring and rest day rides, local stuff, shopping, etc.

If it disappeared tomorrow, I'd order another exactly the same. Nuff said.

I see more Surlys than Thorns, just as well cos the Thorns are ugly. The frames look too small with the sloping top tube and long seat post. The Surlys look like a proper bike.

I wouldn't say they are the default tourer, I've yet to see a European rider on one, but they are more international than most brands. I have recently seen some on the road in Japan and also a shop selling them Thailand, plus an Aussie mate has one.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

simonhill wrote:
I wouldn't say they are the default tourer, I've yet to see a European rider one.

I came across two folk from spain (possible that they weren't both spanish - can't remember) on LHTs in cagliari, sardinia.

By the way, Brixton Cycles seem to fit the disc trucker with tektro discs rather than BB7s - can't remember the reason (easier access to spares and fitting them?) But it seemed to make sense when talking to them. I'd encourage anyone in London thinking of a LHT to check Brixton Cycles out.
Sweep
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Quite an in depth long term owner review here.

http://ozsoapbox.com/cycling/long-haul- ... -15000kms/
Nu-Fogey
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

The aesthetics issues are personal choice,one man's meat,etc,and as such only detract from the bike for that reason alone.As PH says the LHT is well established and as the benchmark tourer it seems will take some shifting from it's perch.
I think I may have been riding one myself if it weren't for the gappy looks and horizontal toptube but that's personal preference.
There's no denying,the LHT and DT bikes not just the frameset is/are one heckova no nonsense package,that delivers for a hard working everyday/touring bike,the only reservations seem to be the canti brake set which could be sorted by Surly at source with V's,giving more power into the bargain at no extra cost.
Takes some beating,when you never hear or read a bad word about them.....
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Favourable, considered review of a more modern disc trucker here.

http://tomsbiketrip.com/surly-disc-truc ... ew-photos/
Nu-Fogey
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

reohn2 wrote:Takes some beating,when you never hear or read a bad word about them.....

They are c*&p!

There you go, a bad word about them :lol:

tbh no real opinion on them, i'm not gonna buy one but if your creed is lugging around a heavy monster who am i to nay say?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

foxyrider wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Takes some beating,when you never hear or read a bad word about them.....

They are c*&p!

There you go, a bad word about them :lol:

Some people's opinions are worth more than others :wink:

tbh no real opinion on them, i'm not gonna buy one but if your creed is lugging around a heavy monster who am i to nay say?

Creed?
I didn't realise they were a religion :shock:
Heavy monster?
About the same weight as most tourers,I'd say.
If you want a beast of burden they seem to fit the bill very well,by all accounts reliable,good wheelset,drivetrain and cycleparts,proven track record.
What's yer gripe?

I'm on the outside looking in,having never owned or ridden an LHT or DT(though I have a front fork on my Kona DewDrop),perhaps you have and know something the rest of us don't
Care to share?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

No gripe, i just prefer something that is lighter and i can chuck around on the trails a bit.

A tourer doesn't have to be built like a tank, if thats what you like, fair enough but its not for me
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

DaleFTW wrote:

Oh aye, cos a 3 foot long headtube would look so much better...

Having a shorter headtube and more spacers = more flexibility to get a bike that fits. I have 10mm under my stem and I've left 30mm on top. With a longer headtube, I couldn't get that fit.

There is the problem that many manufacturers/shops decide to cut steerers short rather than have a large stack of spacers and that then limits people to the length of steerer supplied.

We could do a count of forum threads along the lines of "I can't get my bars low enough" versus "I can't get my bars high enough".

Pools panel says away win