Pennsylvania

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ConRAD

Pennsylvania

Post by ConRAD »

Just starting now to plan a couple of weeks cycling in Pennsylvania starting next April-May: anyone can advise about possible routes ??
Thank you.
raybo

Re: Pennsylvania

Post by raybo »

As a place to start, be aware that Pennsylvania has State Bike Routes: http://www.bikepa.com/routes/index.htm

This page has 14 links to information about bike touring in Pennsylvania: http://www.biketouringtips.com/searchTi ... &subtopic=

One of them is the above link and others are journals of tours I've taken that have crossed into Pennsylvania.

It is a pretty place but very hilly, so be prepared.
Visit my on-line bike touring archive at www.biketouringtips.com
shane

Post by shane »

The most important thing you need to know about PA is that they have funny booze laws. After a long day in the saddle its quiet a pain to walk endlessly around the supermarket looking for the beer section......

They only sell beer at bars(obvious) and off licenses/bottle shops (often not conveniently next to the supermarket!!!). Not the end of the world if you already know this, but quite a pain the first time you get caught out :roll:

Its a pretty part of the world, sadly I was in a bit of a hurry when I passed through, luckily you're also towards the top of the Appalachians so the hills aren't too bad. Have a good look at google maps and you'll see that a lot of the roads run NE-SW, theres a reason for that :wink:

Have fun.
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

raybo wrote:...

... excellent links, thanks a lot.

shane wrote:... after a long day in the saddle its quiet a pain to walk endlessly around the supermarket looking for the beer section...

... I pretty well understand what you're meaning, fortunately I drink only wine ... and sometimes water as well :wink:
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Saw this today and thought of you.

http://www.trailsfromrails.com/pennsylvania.htm

I was reading a CGOAB blog about a couple who cycled with their 6 year old on triplet ( or whatever you call a tandem for 3) from Their old home in Florida to their new home near Seattle and they did a few of the rail to ride routes and put this link up. Someone here also kindly mentioned the Allagheny route and the C&O canal route in that area.mim looking forward to,riding in the US one day but haven't done anything yet except ride to the shops when on holiday there.
Last edited by MrsHJ on 20 Dec 2014, 3:59pm, edited 1 time in total.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Dont miss Lancaster County. Intercourse is the name of the main town. No booze at all there… . Stayed in an Amish B and B once, charming people. Pretty flat around there.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

… to be very honest, when I started to “investigate” about a possible cycle-trip in Pennsylvania, I was initially focusing on a specific place about 70-80 miles North of Philadelphia … something sounding like Fort Washington, Spring House, etc … just memories of several years ago !!!
So places as Lancaster County sound a bit “familiar” to me … but this time I would like to take the opportunity to go further.
Now, also thanks to your above suggestions and some further investigation on ADVENTURECYCLING I’m coming-up to something more challenging spanning from North Carolina to Maine.
Looking at the map here below I'm assuming that I’m probably missing a lot of Pennsylvania … yet I’m thinking that it might be an interesting way to go thru it anyhow ... enjoying at the same time something of the South as well as regions of the North !!!
... is it still a valid alternative in your opinion ??

MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I like your style. Start small and end up doing lots instead! The Delaware water gap I have heard of-lots of interesting places to see too.

I will do a query at some point on whether it's worth following the adventure cycling routes ( every turn approach) v just using their general guidance as I'm interested to understand the good and bad. There will be plenty of crazyguyonabike reports on cycling up the east coast which may be of interest to you.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

We spent several days in Williamsburg after visiting Lancaster County. I shall never forget getting up at 6am to take photos of the misty cornfields near Intercourse and hearing no motor cars but just the distant clip clop of the Amish buggy horses taking the families to church on Sunday morning. You will never see anything like it anywhere. Williamsburg is a gem. The buildings are amazing, the history of the revolution is gripping. And then there is nearby Jamestown, Americas first enduring colony with a reconstructed fort, village port and ship. Just down the road is Yorktown where the Americans assisted by the French lead by Lafayette, dealt the death blow to British colonialism in America at the decisive battle. Another very interesting site which the Americans do so well.
If you are interested in anything other than staring at the tarmac these places deserve some time, as does Plymouth Rock, the Mayflower and nearby reconstructed village back in the North.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Lancaster county and Philedelphia are my favourite parts of Pennsylvania. The Harley Davidson factory in York is worth a visit.

I meant to suggest that part of the ACA Atlantic Coast route, might be used, but I see you've found it :lol:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom