Touring in remote locations - advice please

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
irc

Re: Touring in remote locations - advice please

Post by irc »

MrsHJ wrote:
Noted! Scurries off to check out the adventure cycling map. Hmmm, how did you hook Pittsburgh back into the transam or didn't you bother?

Didn't hit the Transam until halfway across Kansas. Away from the two coasts and big cities there are plenty low traffic roads. I used old Route 30 (Lincoln Highway) from Pittsburgh to near Chicago. Then took the Northern Tier for a few days. Then just followed quiet roads going in the right direction.

The Lincoln Highway was one of my favourite sections. A two lane road carrying only local traffic as through traffic is on the freeways built to supercede the Lincoln. As the former main road it goes through the middle of the small towns and is a pretty direct route.

https://www.lincolnhighwayassoc.org/
lisap

Post by lisap »

The Southern Tier has to be my least favourite for exactly the same reasons as IRC has mentioned. I also got knocked off the bike in Florida by a stationary car no less. Stupid woman flung open the door of her giant truck thing and backed out bottom first hitting me in the process. It wasn't a pretty sight.

I quite fancy doing the TransAm but linking up with the Western Express so I end up in San Francisco as it's easy to get to the airport by bike. I would also love to do the Underground Railroad because of the history involved rather than the ride itself. My family were Quakers who emigrated to the US in the 1870's up until the 1920's and I want to meet up with their relatives who live in Ohio.

I had forgotten about goatheads :lol:
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

mercalia wrote:[quote="tatanab]There are individual state laws about "concealed weapons permits" and for some there are weapons on display. Not that it matters because it would be illegal. As a foreigner you are not allowed to own one. [/quote]
Now that is interesting to know. is that only pistols or also (assault) rifles? not own but also rent/borrow?[/quote][/quote][/quote]
Each state has its own laws about no weapons/concealed weapons/weapons on display. They do no even recognise permits from other states. There really is nothing much united about the united states in many ways (driving licences, bank transfers etc). If you want to try various weapons then a visit to a range can work out because you rent whatever you choose for your time on the range. An English friend visited me when I lived there and he (a very good UK club shooter) had a very happy couple of hours banging away with guns he had not fired before.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

lisap wrote:The Southern Tier has to be my least favourite for exactly the same reasons as IRC has mentioned. I also got knocked off the bike in Florida by a stationary car no less. Stupid woman flung open the door of her giant truck thing and backed out bottom first hitting me in the process. It wasn't a pretty sight.

I quite fancy doing the TransAm but linking up with the Western Express so I end up in San Francisco as it's easy to get to the airport by bike. I would also love to do the Underground Railroad because of the history involved rather than the ride itself. My family were Quakers who emigrated to the US in the 1870's up until the 1920's and I want to meet up with their relatives who live in Ohio.

I had forgotten about goatheads :lol:

Yes, sorry to continue off topic but interesting stuff. Thank you both for your comments irp and lisap. The Great Allegheny Passage combined with the C & O canal would be a nice easterly section and picking up the Lincoln Highway for small town America sounds very nice . No one seems to enjoy the rolling hills in the east as much as I thought they would! I've also fancied the western express ( partly because I've already travelled most of the route of the Pueblo to Washington coast section) and because it sounds incredible. I do find the desert cycling a bit thought provoking though. Have you doen a blog or got a map,of your trip irp?

From memory there were some sections of 100 miles on the western express without services - maybe it does fit into this thread then. I'd be interested to know what the optimal timing is for this route. It sounds maybe April- June heading out of San Francisco on 1 April, I think you might have to do it as an autumn ride if heading West. Depends on snow on the mountain crossings though.
Last edited by MrsHJ on 16 Dec 2014, 8:28pm, edited 1 time in total.
lisap

Post by lisap »

Are you planning an epic trip MrsHJ?
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

lisap wrote:Are you planning an epic trip MrsHJ?

Yes, have to wait until the kids a a little older and I can abandon them for 3 months as their Dad works evenings so they need to be teenage as otherwise the babysitting would bankrupt us! It's fun thinking about it though and thinking through the options like an extra long planning session. Luckily work lets people take extended leave every so often.

It will be trans- something. One of my girlfriends emailed today to say she is definitely up for a trans America and I've cycled with her a lot on long trips and introduced her to cycle touring in Portugal so whilst I'm happy to travel solo it could be a good combination.
irc

Post by irc »

MrsHJ wrote: The Great Allegheny Passage combined with the C & O canal would be a nice easterly section and picking up the Lincoln Highway for small town America sounds very nice . No one seems to enjoy the rolling hills in the east as much as I thought they would! I've also fancied the western express ( partly because I've already travelled most of the route of the Pueblo to Washington coast section) and because it sounds incredible. I do find the desert cycling a bit thought provoking though. Have you doen a blog or got a map,of your trip irp? ....From memory there were some sections of 100 miles on the western express without services - maybe it does fit into this thread then. I'd be interested to know what the optimal timing is for this route.

I'd suggest April to June west to east is too early. Three or four days east of San Francisco the Carson Pass over the Sierras is around 8'500 feet. It sometimes closes for short periods in April due to snow. Adventure Cycling suggest mid May to October for the Western Express which sounds about right. Looking at the weather at Ely Nevada the end of May looks fine. Average highs around 23C which is pleasant in the dry heat there.

https://weatherspark.com/averages/30175 ... ted-States

Of course starting in Mid May gets you to the east coast in mid July. You will get hot and humid conditions. But I think bad weather is easier to cope with in the east because facilities are more frequent so heat can be coped with by early starts and getting off the road for a few hours mid day if you need to. You can get water several times a day if you need to.

https://weatherspark.com/averages/31267 ... ted-States

Further west he longest dry stretch in Utah with no water or anything else was 81 miles from Blanding to Lake Powell. The shop at lake Powell has limited opening hours. Other than that it's 125 miles from Blanding to Hanksville with no water other than Lake Powell. The water in it is slightly orange in colour from sediment. Usable if treated but not ideal.

I did my DC -San Francisco mid July - mid Sept. I got a heat wave with 100f temps in the first 2 weeks or so. Thereafter perfect shorts and T shirt weather almost every day. Going E-W has the advantage that other than rolling hills across Missouri it's flat until the Rockies so your tour fit doing the mountains. E-W your climbing to 8500 feet on day 3 or 4. Going E-W saves the most dramatic scenery for the 2nd half as well.

A mid May to mid July E-W would work as well. If Nevada was uncomfortably hot then riding early would avoid the worst of it. And late May is probably better than July in the east.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Sounds fabulous. Still much thinking but e to west say may, June, July might work well. If I get the timing right Mrhj could bring the kids out for a fortnight at the end ( by which time hopefully we'd be done) which would coincide with the start of the school hols. Thank you for the information. Lots of route reviewing to do in the next couple of years!
irc

Post by irc »

Worth a read is Leo Woodlands blog of this route.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/cautionarytales

Quality writing. He is a published author on cycling going back decades pre internet.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

mercalia wrote: I still think learn to fire a pistol and pack one preferably "make my day" type?

After our last trip together which was only 1 week and we had our own rooms, I'm not sure with us living in each others pockets for a month it's a good idea if any of us are armed!

At the moment the worse we could do is through jam sandwiches at one another
psmiffy

Post by psmiffy »

mnichols wrote:
At the moment the worse we could do is through jam sandwiches at one another

Im not sure that the muzzle velocity of a jam sandwich is high enough for a throw and through :)
Last edited by Vorpal on 18 Dec 2014, 6:04am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fix quotes