Touring in remote locations - advice please

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
irc

Re: Touring in remote locations - advice please

Post by irc »

mercalia wrote:what about snakes? any one mention them here?

Not to mention scorpions in the deserts in the southwest. Shake shoes out in the morning before putting them on. I thought this was a joke when someone told me but it's on the Park Service website. Though in the USA scorpion bites are only life threatening to children, the elderly or hyper-sensitive people.

http://www.nature.nps.gov/biology/ipm/m ... piders.cfm

On the Southern Tier, California.  Here Be Scorpions!
On the Southern Tier, California. Here Be Scorpions!
dh024

Post by dh024 »

I am a bit surprised nobody mentioned it yet, but if you are travelling through any remote location, particularly without cellular phone service, a very good thing for your group to carry is a SPOT device, or better yet, an InReach device for emergency communications and distress calls.
lisap

Post by lisap »

Having ridden the Great Divide, the Southerrn Tier, the Pacific Coast twice over and round Florida I have seen very few bears, a few coyotes, lots of very lecherous old men, some turantulas, about 3 snakes and no scorpions.

McNichols you will be absolutely fine. Be sensible, take Halt dog spray, carry spares and maybe a Katadyn filter. I can lend you one if you need it.

Just go and have fun.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

But other than the bears, pumas, wolves, coyotes, racoon's, skunks, snakes, scorpions, tarantulas, psychopaths, water born parasites, hypothermia, desert heat, altitude, lack of food, water, motels and phone signal...its quite a nice place?
lisap

Post by lisap »

mnichols wrote:But other than the bears, pumas, wolves, coyotes, racoon's, skunks, snakes, scorpions, tarantulas, psychopaths, water born parasites, hypothermia, desert heat, altitude, lack of food, water, motels and phone signal...its quite a nice place?

This made me giggle.

Just don't go looking for any of the above mentioned and if by chance you do stumble across something, run the other way.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

mnichols wrote:But other than the bears, pumas, wolves, coyotes, racoon's, skunks, snakes, scorpions, tarantulas, psychopaths, water born parasites, hypothermia, desert heat, altitude, lack of food, water, motels and phone signal...its quite a nice place?

but worst of all - no McDonalds big macs? I still think learn to fire a pistol and pack one preferably "make my day" type?
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

You missed out mosquitoes, which are large and numerous in the Canadian forests.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

mercalia wrote:I still think learn to fire a pistol and pack one preferably "make my day" type?
There are individual state laws about "concealed weapons permits" and for some there are weapons on display. Not that it matters because it would be illegal. As a foreigner you are not allowed to own one.

I lived in the North West and only when doing roughstuff in the mountains was I told I should not go off alone because of bears - after I had done so of course. When I moved to the South West, I was told I should not stroll from the road and sit on a rock while waiting for the bunch due to rattlesnakes - also after I had done so.

The only bear I saw was a dead black bear in a ditch. I saw a number of coyotes and a few road runners, racoons and possums in their hundreds. I did not own a mobile phone, although many of my riding colleagues did so. In the North west I camped on a few occasions, but nowhere that needed bear precautions.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

lisap wrote:Having ridden the Great Divide, the Southerrn Tier, the Pacific Coast twice over and round Florida I have seen very few bears, a few coyotes, lots of very lecherous old men, some turantulas, about 3 snakes and no scorpions.

McNichols you will be absolutely fine. Be sensible, take Halt dog spray, carry spares and maybe a Katadyn filter. I can lend you one if you need it.

Just go and have fun.

Chuckling here. Sounds like you've done some fabulous trips too.

What was the southern tier like? I've read such diverse reports. It's on my possible list.

Ps When we camped in Wyoming a couple of years ago I hardly slept in the tent due to fear of bears ( and because it was BONE CHILLINGLY COLD) but the closest we got was a bear road jam where everyone had stopped to see some in a gulley. Someone posted a link to someone the other day who cycled through Alaska and the Yukon I think and he had several close encounters of the bear kind.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I met a bear once, in Upper Michigan. Actually the same bear twice. I followed advice, and didn't have any problems. I have seen them from a distance a couple of times in other places, but have otherwise managed to avoid them (and be avoided).

I have also wild camped a couple of times, with only emergency gear because I couldn't make it to my destination for the night. One of those times was after a cold wet, day in the mountains. If we had not had the emergency gear, and been able to make a fire, we would have had to walk all night (off road, and before the advent of weapons grade lighting, so no chance to see well enough to ride) to keep warm enough to avoid hypothermia. At best, we would have had a really uncomfortable night.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

p.s. you forgot the wild dogs. :wink:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

tatanab wrote:
mercalia wrote:I still think learn to fire a pistol and pack one preferably "make my day" type?
There are individual state laws about "concealed weapons permits" and for some there are weapons on display. Not that it matters because it would be illegal. As a foreigner you are not allowed to own one.
Now that is interesting to know. is that only pistols or also (assault) rifles? not own but also rent/borrow?

The long list didnt mention tics? I understand theycan be bad problem
irc

Post by irc »

MrsHJ wrote:What was the southern tier like? I've read such diverse reports. It's on my possible list.

It was the least favourite of my 3 USA coast to coast rides. Why? Less varied scenery. The 900 miles of Texas was a bit samey in places. Far more sections of busy roads where the riding was on a shoulder with busy traffic a short distance away. Still worthwhile if you are restricted to a time window from late Sept to early Mayl when more northerly routes are .snowbound. High traffic days are a small proportion but stood out in contrast to other routes. While I was on the route I heard of 3 cyclists hospitalised after being hit by cars. And it isn't a busy cycling route. I only met 2 or 3 dozen other tourers while I was on it.

My favourite - Washington DC to San Francisco. 300 miles of towpath and railtrack to Pittsburgh. Back roads through the midwest and Great Plains then the superb Western Express route from Colorado to San Francisco.
irc

Post by irc »

rualexander wrote:

You missed out mosquitoes, which are large and numerous in the Canadian forests.

And the Goatheads.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

irc wrote:
MrsHJ wrote:What was the southern tier like? I've read such diverse reports. It's on my possible list.

It was the least favourite of my 3 USA coast to coast rides. Why? Less varied scenery. The 900 miles of Texas was a bit samey in places. Far more sections of busy roads where the riding was on a shoulder with busy traffic a short distance away. Still worthwhile if you are restricted to a time window from late Sept to early Mayl when more northerly routes are .snowbound. High traffic days are a small proportion but stood out in contrast to other routes. While I was on the route I heard of 3 cyclists hospitalised after being hit by cars. And it isn't a busy cycling route. I only met 2 or 3 dozen other tourers while I was on it.

My favourite - Washington DC to San Francisco. 300 miles of towpath and railtrack to Pittsburgh. Back roads through the midwest and Great Plains then the superb Western Express route from Colorado to San Francisco.

Noted! Scurries off to check out the adventure cycling map. Hmmm, how did you hook Pittsburgh back into the transam or didn't you bother?