Touring in remote locations - advice please

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mnichols

Touring in remote locations - advice please

Post by mnichols »

I will be cycling unsupported from Canada to Mexico next year on a route of my own devising. I will be going to some pretty remote locations, and will often be off the grid all day - no phone, no support and maybe a hundred miles between towns, although I will be staying in motels and road side inns in the evening

Two friends are joining me and I feel responsible for them. We will be cycling an average of 90 miles per day, but up to 120. We will be traveling through forests, wilderness, deserts and mountains (up to 10,000 feet)

I have done a lot of cycle touring in Europe, but never anywhere particularly remote, or off the map

My question is what special precautions, preparations and extra things should I take?
Do I need to do any wilderness/survival training, or is there a good book that I could read?
I will take a basic first aid kit, but is there any thing extra I should take given the remoteness? Should I do a first aid course?
I will take basic spares and kit (tyre, tubes, chain link, spoke, mech hanger), but is there anything else?
We will be staying in hotels/motels in the evening and therefore travelling light, but I should I take emergency supplies - bivvey bag, high energy food bar, etc?
I will get a pepper spray for the local wildlife, should I take a dog dazer? what else?
I'm in the ETA in the UK for cycling breakdowns, is there a US/Canada equivalent?
Are there extra precautions we should take - phone ahead, let people know we are leaving/where we are going, etc?

Sorry for the long list, any advice would be appreciated

Thanks in advance
Last edited by mnichols on 11 Dec 2014, 10:13pm, edited 1 time in total.
rualexander

Re: Touring in remote locations - advice please

Post by rualexander »

How remote are we talking? If there are roads to cycle on then its not really all that remote, there will be occasional traffic of some sort.
I would just take the normal stuff for a few weeks cycle touring anywhere.
Know your bike and equipment.
Wouldn't bother with pepper spray etc. Just follow the rules for camping in bear country.
It would be wise to have stuff to enable you to camp out if necessary and some emergency food would be sensible.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

I think +90% of the roads will be proper tarmac roads with the occasional dirt track
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

I would agree with above, if you have motels most nights and are on tarmac it is not that remote. Have some means of emergency sleeping arrangement; bivvy bag or very light weight tent and emergency rations.
Take care to follow Bear precautions.
I smile at the use of or lack of use of mobile devices, while not remote i used to go off for 2 weeks at a time all over Europe in the 80's, no phone, never rang home, could have been anywhere / up to anything / anything could have happened.... only checked in once i was back on English soil...... :lol: How often are you expecting to check in with someone.

I guess some basic knowledge of first aid might be worthwhile; depending on what you already know... most of it is commonsense, if you are unsure never move anyone unless they can move themselves, know how to staunch bleeding, and be able to support a broken limb (though upper limb breaks the patient will usually instinctively support it themselves). If it is large distances between settlements, then certainly this is where a bivvy bag will be useful so your patient can be kept warm while someone goes to get help (assuming phone is not working)
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Dean

Post by Dean »

I wouldn't fret too much - I don't think you'll be far from civilisation, where all problems can be solved with a credit card. Unless you're going offroad and expect to be away from towns for yonks, in which case carry a water fillter, filtration tablets and loads of spare food. And check up on the difference between black and brown bears ;)

Basics such as spare food and first aid kit might help. But don't forget the insurance - healthcare in the US is horrendously expensive, so don't skimp on the insurance.

It's just a bike ride, though. Nowt to fret about.
irc

Post by irc »

mnichols wrote: I will be going to some pretty remote locations, and will often be off the grid all day - no phone, no support and maybe a hundred miles between towns, although I will be staying in motels and road side inns in the evening

I've toured in the USA a few times. It is different from Europe. When I realised I was near to needing a new rear tyre in Kansas I found that the nearest bike shop anywhere near my route was 300 miles east. So the main thing is to be self sufficient. Carry enough food to last all day. I always carried a spare day's food but I was camping most of the time. If you are planning to get to motels every night that may not be needed. Sometimes though that gas station/shop on the map is out of business and there is nothing else for miles either way. Don't rely on the map being correct.

Don't expect mobile phone coverage everywhere. Every motel/town will almost certainly have wifi. Even when it's a one horse town with only 1 bar/motel with nothing for 50 miles each direction there is usually wifi. Even if it is slow satellite based.

Tools/spares. A basic kit should be enough. Along with a coupke of tubes each and a couple of spare tyres between you. I've never broken a spoke in 11'000 miles touring in the USA including some gravel roads and trails so with good wheels I'd say spare spokes, yes, but I'd rely on getting to a bike shop if it was a driveside rear rather than carry the tools for getting a freewheel off. If needed I'd hitch. There are loads of big pickups on the roads in America. Of course if you are splitting a toolkit between 3 of you you have more options.

You didn't mention cleat bolts in your lists. Small parts but a lost cleat bolt is a problem.

Some sort of means of water treatment is a good idea if you are in remote mountain areas. It will let you use stream water safely if you have a long day and drink more than you carry. Biggest mistake I made was starting a long hot mountain day with only 4.5L

Dogs are not a huge problem in the west. More an issue in Kentucky and some of the southern states. My approach is to stop unless I'm sure I can outrun it. Then walk the bike away for a few yards before re-mounting. Sometimes a loud shout at the dog works. I carried pepper spray on one tour but never used it.

Bears? If you are in motels or other buildings not a problem. In official campsites, they have bear boxes if there is a problem. The golden rule if camping in bear areas is not to use a tent you have ever cooked in and store all food and strongly scented items 200 yds from your tent hung high from a tree. But you probably won't see a bear. I've only seen one while touring - it was 400M away. If riding off tarmac in bear areas the advice is to make noise so bears can avoid you. Hikers wear bear bells.

The thing with bears is there is far more chance of a truck killing you than a bear but I think it is just the whole thought of not being top of the food chain. I've solo camped in forests in bear areas a few times and I was never totally relaxed. Stories like this one are why.

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/pag ... 81399&v=4B

Breakdowns/accidents. Any tarmac road will have some traffic. Lowest I've seen was 1 car an hour or thereabouts. So eventually someone will be by to help. Americans are almost always helpful in these situations. Biggest issue would be delay in medical help after a serious crash. So really the stating the obvious answer is don't crash. Ride well within your limits on downhills etc.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Water is the biggest issue. Most water in the wilds in the US has a substantial chance of Giardia infection. A Katadyn type water purifier is a must in remote areas. However almost every National Forest campsite has a clean water source.

I would not use pepper spray on bears, things are likely to go from bad to worse. I have had a few bear encounters and the best thing is to leave the bears to their business. As said, food storage is the most important precaution - including any other fragrant items like toothpaste, soap etc. You will need a bear bag and cord to ensure you can hang it up a tree.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

hamster wrote:Water is the biggest issue. Most water in the wilds in the US has a substantial chance of Giardia infection. A Katadyn type water purifier is a must in remote areas. However almost every National Forest campsite has a clean water source.

I would not use pepper spray on bears, things are likely to go from bad to worse. I have had a few bear encounters and the best thing is to leave the bears to their business. As said, food storage is the most important precaution - including any other fragrant items like toothpaste, soap etc. You will need a bear bag and cord to ensure you can hang it up a tree.

You can get bear spray (stronger). But most people walking in bear country don't bother. You only use it as a last resort when a bear is attacking and close. I think there are fewer attacks these days because practice has changed; historically visitors to parks used to put out food (e.g. from the safety of their cars/coaches) so they could see the bears and bears quickly came to associate humans with food which caused obvious problems. These days rangers are very strict about food and have pretty well broken the bears' association between humans and food (hence their being so strict about bear boxes/canisters).

Some national park areas require to you use bear canisters if camping (where there are no bear boxes provided). There are certain approved canisters and when last checked bear sacks (e.g. Ursack) were not "on the list". But it depends where you are going and you mentioned not camping anyway.

If you are concerned about bears, you can improve your chances a lot but learning about them in advance (e.g. learn to distinguish black and grizzly bears and your reaction to an attack may differ depending on which bear it is, type of attack, etc.). But if it were me, with your planned travel I would not worry.

Ian
Galloper

Post by Galloper »

I think irc has pretty much covered it. The hard shoulder, where you're expected to ride, can be pretty grotty, lots of broken glass, old truck tyres, wire, gravel and expansion joints can be encountered at times. I heard about some lads who were doing the Southern Tier on road bikes with the comment that they were getting a lot of punctures. Good puncture proof tyres are essential.

To your spares, I'd add some zip ties and some duct tape.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Thanks All. Some good advice in there

Was planning on using my trustee Continental GP 4 Seasons. Good enough?
raybo

Post by raybo »

Pepper Spray can't be brought from the US into Canada. You can carry bear spray, but not pepper spray. Note that bear spray is less powerful than pepper spray as a bear's nose is much more sensitive than a human's.

If you are going into some remote territory, you won't be finding motels. I've ridden through lots of towns with bold names on the map that don't have motels or any useful services.

Can you post some idea of the route you are considering? It might provide some ideas of things to be aware of that are specific to the places you'll be traveling though. Also, you are aware of the Adventure Cycling Association, right? They provide maps of bike routes all over the US and a couple into Canada. Their website is http://www.adventurecycling.org

Do you know about warmshowers.org? They have a lot of members in the US and I've often emailed members for valuable local knowledge.

Don't miss riding on the Icefields Parkway between Jasper and Lake Louise, Alberta. Possibly the most stunning area I've ever ridden through.
Visit my on-line bike touring archive at www.biketouringtips.com
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I agree with most of the previous posts.

The one thing I would carry, though, having been stuck out overnight in remote areas once or twice, is a basic 'survival kit'
-small container of waterproof matches
-water purification tablets (or filter)
-emergency blanket/bivvy bag &/or bin bag (the large, heavy duty sort)
-a days worth of emergency rations or spare food
-an extra layer of warm clothes

If you are going across mountains, be aware of the symptoms of altitude sickness, and carry extra water, plus electrolyte tablets or drops.

A survival course is probably unnecessary, even if you get stuck out somewhere. However, if you have never been camping, and haven't built a fire with found wood, or improvised a shelter, a survival course might not be a bad idea. The chances that you will ever need it are slim, but if you do, basic knowledge and skills can make the difference between life and death.

It's not common, but it happens that someone gets a puncture, or has a mechanical, or gets lost and cannot get to the destination for the night. If it happens in a remote area, you need to be able to look after yourselves.

If you are going to truly remote areas, and you are worried about this, you can also get an emergency beacon (PLB).
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

you're on a bike,you break down,you can't fix it...you're out in the bush...most Americans will stop and ask you if you're okay if they see you in some difficulty. They're most supporting with only the odd nutter whose aim is to kill you. Most(read x10)are very helpful,moreso than our own folk. You could always flag down a car or lorry should you think you'll need it. A lot of Americans(in the bush)have utes: bike KO'd,they'll put your bike in the back and take you and bike to the nearest town,see you're okay.

What I would take with you,buy over there,is that pepper spray. Not for bears,but for the dogs that are out on remote farms and hear/smell you coming. With no owners around,or gone out shopping,they can beat a path down to the road to savage you(?)should they catch you. The dogs seem to bark up the valleys to alert other farm dogs,then they're all on the look out foryou. I always lived/cycled in fear,but then I'm no commando. Yeah,they increased my cadence,but I never forgave them(or my fear?)for inhibiting carefree cycling. I'd rather face the bears and the pumas.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

what about snakes? any one mention them here?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

good point... a snake bite kit is probably a good thing to carry.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom