What are your essentials to go bicycle touring?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
AntonioCM

What are your essentials to go bicycle touring?

Post by AntonioCM »

Hi guys,

I am not a gear geek, but I reckon there are still some material possessions I think I couldn’t go bicycle touring without.

These are my top 4: http://www.theadventurejunkies.com/4-th ... g-without/

What about you guys? Do you have any piece of gear you simply couldn't do without?

I would love to hear your opinions.

Thanks!
Antonio
beardy

Re: What are your essentials to go bicycle touring?

Post by beardy »

Antonio,

That only goes to show how different we all are. Of those the only one I have is the hat and I have ridden without that on occasions.
I have obviously been lucky with saddles because my Brooks is the worst that I have. :mrgreen:

I tried to think of things that I couldnt live without but they can all be replaced with something else.

Things that I would miss the most are

Music player
Drink bottle on frame
GPS
Shimano sandals.
DaleFTW

Post by DaleFTW »

Bike
Tent
FM radio
Teabag
Ned Ludd

Post by Ned Ludd »

Apart from the necessities such as panniers, the thing I'd least like to do without is a bar bag...
MarkF

Post by MarkF »

I don't own a hat, bar bag, GPS system, mirror or waterproof panniers..................I was struggling to think of something but I suppose my Spork is the thing I'd miss if I lost it, often, it's my entire "kitchen".
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Mt hi viz tabard from Halfords clearout - in the summer can wear with little else underneath and is lovely and cool but shields u from the direct wind. Also arm and leg warmers esp in winter,.In the winter the same, without the need for heavy coat but with a very warm light weight motorcycle inner jacket underneath.oh and an fm radio probably these days in my simple budget mobile
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Me
Bike
Good book
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Seems like a poorly disguised plug for his blog!

I wish I only had 4 things, then my panniers wouldn't be so full.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

A bike
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

simonhill wrote:Seems like a poorly disguised plug for his blog!

Very standard methodology on here it seems. A selection of bloggers do this regularly, rather more than this fellow in fact. But, some are rather good blogs, though some...

My essentials would be:

Kindle.
Sleeping bag.
Maps (paper ones, mmm).
Oh, and of course, Madame.

Not at all able to stick to the essentials though.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

My bike.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
whoof

Post by whoof »

Bit of an odd list.
A good saddle. You could add a good ???? and insert any part of your bike. Try touring on wheels where all the spokes come loose or with brakes that don't stop you.
Might be better to ask what luxuries people take. There was someone who always carried a bone china tea cup as he couldn't stand tea from anything such as a plastic mug.
I take some things to perk-up my meals. Curry and chilli powder and a 100ml bottle each of sweet chilli sauce and salad dressing.
robing

Post by robing »

Assuming that a bike, tent, sleeping bag etc are mandatory for cycle touring, my luxury items I can't do without are sansa clip mp3 player, kindle, acer 7" android tablet and garmin. I'm not ashamed to admit I'm a gadget freak.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

What makes a tent, sleeping bag, etc. necessary?

My answer of 'my bike' was a bit flippant, but I would say that the next most important item on the list is some money or a card to pay for things, and after that, a set of basic tools. A change of clothes and/or a warmer layer come next on the list. A toothbrush and some toothpaste. A water bottle. After that, it depends on what kind of tour and where. A hotel or B&B / hostel tour requires much less than a camping one.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Vorpal wrote:What makes a tent, sleeping bag, etc. necessary?
Agreed. Too many people seem to assume that cycle touring and camping are synonymous. This is from somebody who prefers to camp.

I only have one essential item - a third wheel because I do not (usually) go bicycle touring preferring tricycles. I am a cycle tourist (and a pedant :P) .