What are your essentials to go bicycle touring?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
foxyrider

Re: What are your essentials to go bicycle touring?

Post by foxyrider »

wallet :lol: - everything else can be replaced.

My essentials to make a tour possible are gonna change depending on what i'm doing but a bike is essential, some form of luggage carriage, tool kits, good footwear, gloves and comfortable shorts.

my favourite bit of kit however is my comfy saddle!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
IanW

Post by IanW »

Essentials:

1) good bike (+ panniers / saddle-bag / bar-bag / frame-bag / rucksack, which are sort of givens if we are talking cycle touring)
2) somewhere safe and comfortable to sleep (so a good sleeping-bag + pillow and then tent / hostel / hotel / friend's house)
3) something safe to drink (water, tea, coffee, beer, take your pick but take something to drink out of, and/or something to open the drink if necessary)
4) something [nice] to eat (carried with you and/or bought as necessary)
5) something comfortable to wear (for me t-shirt, shorts + sandals seem to cover the bare essentials, then warmth and waterproofs as needed for survival / comfort)
6) something to keep clean with (i.e. soap + razor + towel, but I am not sure that I *need* a mirror, but maybe a bicycle mirror would suffice)

Then since we are talking cycling, not walking, this implies some sort of road / path / track to ride on, and this typically implies some sort of human habitation / civilization. So, assuming some payment / barter method, most other "essential" things could be acquired as needed.
But I would probably choose to take with me the following which are probably not truly *essential*:

7) torch (a bike headlight might suffice)
8 ) compass (including sighting / signalling mirror, which also doubles as a shaving mirror)
9) watch
10) swiss army knife
11) person "toolkit" (i.e. basic first-aid kit + medicines)
12) [bike] toolkit + basic spares

7, 8, 9, 10 and 11 get carried in a rucksack when out walking [including round towns]
And when away from home for more than 24-hours, an approximation of 12 comes too.

Then nice-to-haves include:

13) good company, or at least someone to talk to or ask for help. My spouse typically provides the latter ;-)
14) a camera to show (gloat over) the sights I have seen to others.

And then come the shed-loads of ancilliary junk like:

15) GPS
16) mobile phone
17) music player
18) tablet computer
19) cooking equipment
<nnn>) kitchen sink

Note that I am one of those technophiles / gadget freaks who shrivel-up and die if disconnected from the internet for more than a few hours.
So technically 16 & 18 are actually *essentials* too.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

My bike.

My butler.
pau1ine

Post by pau1ine »

• 100% waterproof panniers
  • A good companion, one who loves bike mechanics even better :D
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Nobody seems to have mentioned CTC membership. Once upon a time, the CTC Handbook would have been tucked away in a side pocket on the Camper Longflap.
horizon

Post by horizon »

AntonioCM wrote:Hi guys,

I am not a gear geek, but I reckon there are still some material possessions I think I couldn’t go bicycle touring without.

Antonio

Antonio

I get the strong impression that what you really cannot do without is your underwear:

http://www.theadventurejunkies.com/worl ... ra-mexico/

I don't blame you but you did ask. :wink:
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
PH

Post by PH »

For me I wouldn't want to go touring without a camera.
I wouldn't enjoy a days cycling if I hadn't had a good nights sleep, so my exped mat and down quilt are near the top of the list.
And although I risk getting burnt at the stake, my Garmin has transformed the way I tour, I wouldn't want to be without it.
IanW

Post by IanW »

thirdcrank wrote:Nobody seems to have mentioned CTC membership. Once upon a time, the CTC Handbook would have been tucked away in a side pocket on the Camper Longflap.

You mean like:

DSCF1239.JPG

With essential touring information like:

DSCF1240.JPG

With other useful information like:

DSCF1243.JPG

My copies are all a bit out of date now though ;-)