Multi Function Watches

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Multi Function Watches

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Started wearing casio's in the eighties and waterproof so great for outdoors and in the shower :)
Very very reliable, but of late cant find them that easy in the high street.
Anyway I bought several HR monitors from LIDL and some at a fiver each, the other half has nicked one, night light alarm etc and waterproof etc, But I do like a clock face when not sporting around.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
MarkF

Post by MarkF »

I always wear a watch, I do have a couple of solar/radio G-Shock Casios, I use them for football training mostly and they are pretty much indestructible. But for cycling I find the cases are too deep, they dig in my arm. For cycling, inc touring, I use an Orsa military watch on a hemp strap, it's so light I don't notice it, the strap is comfy (+ washable :wink: ), the face is very simple and legible in any light and I prefer it off the bike too.

I did have a Casio Protrek temp/compass/altitude thingy but it's readings were compromised by body temp and it's water resistance compromised by the sensors. I like solar/eco/kinetic but would steer away from them for a tour, you can't replace a capacitor like you can an easily available battery. So, if I wasn't so anal about wristwatches and was the OP then I'd just buy a sub £10 Casio F19W, tough resin case, water resistant and with a useful light, even if it meant a sweaty strap.

Mick F wrote:This day and age, wristwatches aren't needed so much and sales have slumped.

Nonsense. I think the sales of wristwatches are at an all time high, if I am wrong then they have still increased year on year since 2007.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Cheers Chaps useful info and discussion. I think I will go for the F-91. Same spec as my last one, but with a different backlight and half the price. Whooppee!

...........and who could resist the Argos description: " This classic and faultless design has not only lasted the test of time, but has emerged the other side just as courageous as it entered. The Casio F91W has become an institution among digital watch designs and though many can claim extra features, few can compare with that retro and chic sensation you feel each time you wear this everlasting masterpiece."

This is my second watch as I have a nice one at home, and also I don't want anything too big or flash as some of the places I tour are a bit risky. Once had a Casio ripped off my wrist in El Salvador. I agree that if I want GPS, altitude, etc better off getting a device. Also I carry a small compass and thermometer, so why duplicate.

I agree about the straps being the weak link and they are expensive in the UK. Fortunately they are cheap in Asia, so I tend to buy a couple of spares.

Couldn't be without a watch, even if the time is available elsewhere. Thanks again.
MarkF

Post by MarkF »

Simon, the Casios are indeed classics, the amount of fakes around for such a cheap watch is incredible!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

MarkF wrote:
Mick F wrote:This day and age, wristwatches aren't needed so much and sales have slumped.

Nonsense. I think the sales of wristwatches are at an all time high, if I am wrong then they have still increased year on year since 2007.
Not what I read, and I remember an article on Radio4 about it.

Maybe they were referring to proper wristwatches rather than hi-tech things that the timepiece is secondary to the whole use. They also referred to the throwaway society and how watches are fashion rather than useful.

I have a Seiko automatic that I bought in 1971 and it was never off my wrist for over 20years. Swimming, in the bath, in the shower, in bed ...... never off my wrist.

I replaced it with a battery Seiko and wore that for another 7 or 8 years. The automatic Seiko still works, but the battery in the other one ran out years ago. I never felt any attachment to the battery version, but really love my old automatic ............ even though I never wear one at all any more.
Mick F. Cornwall
hondated

Post by hondated »

How refreshing to know that I am not alone in liking cheap watches.Given the praise for the Waveceptor I will definitely be buying one of them.
Each to their own but I have always found it strange that people would so much money on buying an expensive watch given what it is used for.
Especially given how many great bikes you could buy with the money instead.
MarkF

Post by MarkF »

Mick F wrote:
MarkF wrote:

Not what I read, and I remember an article on Radio4 about it.

Maybe they were referring to proper wristwatches rather than hi-tech things that the timepiece is secondary to the whole use. They also referred to the throwaway society and how watches are fashion rather than useful.

I think the demise of the wristwatch industry has been predicted 3 times, in my lifetime alone, this time will be no different. Plenty of figures for recent wristwatch sales are easily found, they are on the rise and in their most successful period. A quick look at at any High St will confirm this unexpected trend as the high end watches get ever more expensive (with rising sales!), traditional middle range watches like Oris moving upwards in cost and desirability and forgotten names like Hamilton & Certina returning to move into and fill that gap.

Interesting, old v new article.
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-watchs-time-isnt-up-2013-07-01
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Interesting article, but the bar chart only goes back to 2007 and they're only discussing smart watches etc.
Maybe wrist "watches" sales are on the rise now, but what happened in the past 200 years with respect to consumerism?

OP is asking about Multifunction Watches.
I'm suggesting that that a wristwatch is fine, but any "multifunction" can be found on many many other items depending on your activity.

Tell the time?
Yes, good on your wrist, but better to have a clock in full view in your office/on your desk/in your workplace/anywhere where people can see it.

Multifunction?
Cycling? have a computer on your handlebars. You can see the time too. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
MarkF

Post by MarkF »

Mick F wrote:Interesting article, but the bar chart only goes back to 2007 and they're only discussing smart watches etc.
Maybe wrist "watches" sales are on the rise now, but what happened in the past 200 years with respect to consumerism?

OP is asking about Multifunction Watches.
I'm suggesting that that a wristwatch is fine, but any "multifunction" can be found on many many other items depending on your activity.

Tell the time?
Yes, good on your wrist, but better to have a clock in full view in your office/on your desk/in your workplace/anywhere where people can see it.

Multifunction?
Cycling? have a computer on your handlebars. You can see the time too. :wink:

My issue was with your comment, " wristwatches aren't needed so much and sales have slumped", in fact, sales are very healthy and rising. This is actually surprising to me but as a collector things are as healthy as they have been for 20 years. The death of the watch industry was upon us (supposedly) in the 1970's.........

Multifunction can indeed by found on other products, not much point in having another product though, for us who like to wear a watch. I did have a cycle computer long ago, after a while, the clock was the only thing I used on it. Trouble is, it didn't fit on my wrist....... :wink:
Barrenfluffit

Post by Barrenfluffit »

An altimeter can be helpful if you want to know how far up a pass you are.
I find a compass helpful with route finding particularly at junctions but it's better in front of your eyes.

I have seen them with "memory bank" type functions which could be handy for a pin/password reminder.

Definitely carry a watch as it runs forever on a separate battery; no unzipping the sleeping bag to check the time.
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

My first priorities are solar power and then atomic sync. With these 2 things sorted you are pretty much going to be fine for telling the time for ever. These features are relatively inexpensive on watches these days.

I have long been a vintage watch collector and in particular, Japanese ones.
Over on the Japanese watch forum, we all pretty much have the opinion that Casio wins out bang for buck every time, even if other more expensive sensor watches can make stronger claims to accuracy with the alti/baro..

I have had a few Pro Trek/Pathfinder (different names for the same line in different countries) and G shock. I recommend them without hesitation.

This one is my favourite. I love the large face, as it's really easy to glance at and read, even across the room if you've taken it off. As other people have pointed out, the temp sensor also measures your wrist temperature and as such won't give ambient readings unless you take it off for a while.
The compass I found to be as accurate as I'd ever need it to be. This is Mick Jagger's multi function watch of choice...(seen wearing one at a film festival a few years back)

and this is my daily wearer. Nothing can go wrong with it.

The next one I plan to get is this one. It's a bit smaller so will fit under a work shirt, but still has the big face. It also has sun up and sundown and I think moon phases on this one.

MickF- out of interest what is your Seiko auto from the 70's? I have a number of Seiko autos from that era.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sooper8 wrote:MickF- out of interest what is your Seiko auto from the 70's? I have a number of Seiko autos from that era.
Here it is.
Seiko DX 25 jewels
Cost me 93 Singapore Dollars in May(?) 1971 bought from the NAAFI.
93 bucks at 7 to the £ is £13 ish. Dirt cheap. :D
They did them with a white face as well, but at the time I preferred this one.
It's on its third strap, but I haven't worn it for years. It'll still wind and tick and no doubt keep time. It had a visit to the jeweler in the mid 80s for a clean and a bit of TLC. He told me that the only thing that will sign its death knell will be the mainspring bearing as it's a big job to make a new bush. It's the only bearing that isn't jewelled.

Seiko.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

That would go quite comfortably next to a Doro mobile ! (I have a similar one too in a drawer somewhere :lol: )

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Very nice Seiko MickF. That is a quality watch though, even if it was cheap.

That is still a Seiko bracelet though, even though it has been changed?

Nice history to it which brings it alive to me.

ps if it ever stops working and you need it, I can put you on to good , reasonable , trustworthy watch repairers of the old school variety that love working on Seiko's.