Multi Function Watches

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
simonhill

Multi Function Watches

Post by simonhill »

After 14 years faithful service my traveling/touring Casio watch is about to give up the ghost. Admittedly it is a bit of a Trigger's broom, but I am fond of it.

Before I splash out 10 quid for a new one I was wondering if anyone had any experience of the more sophisticated digital watches. Functions such as compass, thermometer, etc. I am not really interested in the altimeter but would welcome comments on it.

My (very) basic needs are: time, daydate, alarm, weatherproof.

Is it a tenner, or can you temp me?
al_yrpal

Re: Multi Function Watches

Post by al_yrpal »

Got a Casio Waveceptor recently for my birthday to replace my 14 year old battered Seiko. Its titanium so its light and looks very nice. Its analog and has several functions like stopwatch and alarms I shall never use, and it automatically adjusts to the local time if you select the time zone from the digital display. The best things are that its solar and doesnt need a battery, and, its always correct because its updated by a radio signal at night. The metal strap adjustment and catch is way way ahead of anything I have ever seen. It cost £118 from the Watch Shop. If you want a cheaper plastic version they make them. Its a far better watch than any Rolex etc because of the advanced technology which is cutting edge rather than just bling.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I've had a Waveceptor for a couple of years and on balance, I'm pleased with it. I can't hear the alarms and I've no use for a stopwatch or knowing the time in Timbuctu (or how to spell that. :wink: ) As al says, it's solar -powered and radio controlled which is all I need. I bought it on those criteria. The buttons are large and easily operated accidentally by a cuff etc. I had several occasions when my cuff altered the display and at first, I couldn't work out how to get it right and the instructions were no help, which was frustrating.
nmnm

Post by nmnm »

Casio F-91 is £7 at moment (argos), or £10 in fun colours.

I tried a Timex Ironman, for the bigger digits for running, but all those buttons just got in the way. F91 is lighter, cheaper (many benefits, both practical and cultural), fewer in-the-way functions. I use the internet-corrected nuclear clock in the corner of my computer desktop for annual calibrations - you can't trust the dab radio pips these days!
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

+1 for the Casio Waveceptor. Mine's an older, cheaper one that I use for timing club events and just seems built to last (my last one did 22 years on the original battery).
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
IanW

Post by IanW »

I quite like the Casio "waveceptor" watches.
My particular "requirements" are that a watch is waterproof, radio-synchronized and solar-powered.
I would also like an alarm (or two).

Casio WVA-430TDE-1A2VER
Casio WVA-430TDE-1A2VER

Other features are fun-to-haves but not sine-qua-non

Casio PRW-1200-7VER
Casio PRW-1200-7VER

Compass
Compass

also barometer and thermometer and altimeter. This watch is used when on holiday when the features are useful. But it is a huge watch.

The Casio (UK/English) site is a bit limited, but the Casio (Europe/English) site: http://www.casio-europe.com/euro/watch/waveceptor/ is better (has a better range of watches).

The one I like (but I already have enough watches already) is: http://www.casio-europe.com/euro/watch/waveceptor/lcw-m100dse-2aer/

If you want the extra features, then the "ProTrek" series is what you might want to look at.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

My default watch is a £20 Casio rather than a £10 one. For the extra I get hands, which are easier to read with a quick glance down towards the bars. The ones I go for have a digital display too for the date (which I find very useful as I can never remember it) and stuff like stopwatch and timer, which are occasionally useful for things like "take this rice off the cooker when the alarm goes". Not solar powered but the batteries last about 10 years these days, which gives you plenty of time to lose or break it. Mine is waterproof which considering it sometimes goes swimming/paddling is an asset for me.

I have a fancier thing somewhere with altimeter, thermometer etc. The altimeter can be handy when navigating in whiteout ski touring but I can't see that much use on the bike if you're not tuning performance (and even then there are probably better tools). Thermometer on a watch is basically no use: it typically tells you it's next to something that's a lot warmer than the ambient air temperature! Gives you a point of reference in the morning but once you've put it on it's pointless. Mostly this is just bigger/clumsier/less comfortable than the cheap Casio, so it only comes out once in a while for special duty.

Stuff like a compass and GPS location, why not take a better, easier to read compass/GPS with a handlebar mount if you really want that?

So unless you really feel you're missing something I'd go for the tenner, or maybe like I do and double your spend!

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

IanW that last one you mention is identical to mine except that its stainless and mine is titanium. I do like a light watch. £118 at the Watch Shop which is a pretty good price for such a nice watch.
Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Having worn a wristwatch since junior school, I finally took my last on off about ten years ago.
I still have the habit of turning my left wrist to look at the time every now an again.

Why don't I wear a watch?
We have clocks at home, the time is on the computer, there's a clock in the car, my mobile phone tells the time, and when I'm on the bike my computer tells me the time.

Why have a wristwatch?
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote:Having worn a wristwatch since junior school, I finally took my last on off about ten years ago.
I still have the habit of turning my left wrist to look at the time every now an again.

Why don't I wear a watch?
We have clocks at home, the time is on the computer, there's a clock in the car, my mobile phone tells the time, and when I'm on the bike my computer tells me the time.

Why have a wristwatch?

I also find that being retired what the time is is rather less important. Fewer "appointments" or things that must be done today, by a fixed time, etc. Sometimes I think about wearing a watch but then just wonder why I need to know the time so much. I have also found my own "biological clock" or dead reckoning or whatever it is means that I am far better at "knowing" roughy what the time is without needing watches/clocks/etc.

Ian
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Mick F wrote:I still have the habit of turning my left wrist to look at the time every now an again.

Well, you would know what the time is!

Bus times, Radio/TV times. Time to get up, go to bed, go out for a ride. I like to be punctual. My watch is always there, my cars clock and phone isnt. Cooking a steak I like to time it exactly with the second hand same for the pump on the coffee machine. None of the kitchen timers measures seconds only minutes. Lots of advantages to having a watch on your wrist especially when you are the cook.

Al
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I stopped wearing a watch when I retired: something to do with no longer being governed by the time. I managed quite well like Gabriel Oak, although I stopped short at looking in other people's windows to check their clock. :lol:

Increasing care commitments have changed all that eg grandchildren have to be at school in time for the bell.

On the subject of cheap Casio watches, in spite of hardly wearing a watch for some years, I always found that the resin strap failed first: indeed it's the only thing that ever failed. I still have a couple which have been silently ticking away for years, but without straps. Replacement straps seem to cost more than new watches.
Ray

Post by Ray »

I've had 4 or 5 Casios over the years. Excellent timekeepers, always let down by the strap, which splits and breaks within a year or so. A replacement strap costs almost as much as a new watch.

I discovered that my Decathlon heart monitor had a much more durable strap, so when my last Casio strap broke I bought a basic Decathlon sports watch - something like this -
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/ontime-110s- ... 42992.html

The strap shows no sign of splitting after a couple of years. Decathlon do a wide range should you fancy something more geeky.
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

As for the OP and the mutifuncion watches question, a smart phone will do anything. My Garmin has a compass, a barometer, and altimeter, and full mapping. No watch could even come close to what my Garmin can display.
I may be retired, but I still want to know the time. I'm obsessive enough to want to know the time all the time. :oops:
Always have done, and always will do.

We have clocks in the living room, the bathroom, the kitchen, the workshop, the bedroom.
The clock in the car is always there, the time is on my computer in front of me, my Garmin displays the time, and if I'm out of the house not in the car or on my bike, I take my phone.

This day and age, wristwatches aren't needed so much and sales have slumped.
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Yeah, Smartphone clamped on your wrist, then you have to wake it to see the time, very convenient.. :shock:

We have a replica Salvador Dali melting clock in our sitting room, which I really like. But, when hands are at the top its a bit difficult to see the time accurately.

Al