Cable lock in hand baggage?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
jamesgilbert

Re: Cable lock in hand baggage?

Post by jamesgilbert »

simonhill wrote:It doesn't seem to be on the UK list but I am sure I have seen "no restraining items eg packing tape etc" on an airline no go list.

I've taken a 50m climbing rope on UK to mainland Europe flights a couple of times...

My best ever item was a really heavy Italian pasta machine, basically a 5kg lump of solid metal - it was £5 from a charity shop so I wasn't worried about losing it, but it got through with no problems.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

One final thought, if going longhaul you may well have to pass through more than just the UK security check due to disembarking each time the plane lands or in transit, etc.

You could be lucky once, but maybe not every time.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

They took my new bike lock off me at Manchester Airport. he told me that I could use it to strangle the pilot. This while handing back to me my thick leather belt to put back on. :roll:
On Friday, flying with my daughter, the staff at the Easyjet gate told my daughter she would have to put her handbag in her carry-on case as only one bag is allowed. She complied and walked 100yds to the plane where once aboard she opened the case and retrieved her bag.
I just don't understand any of it.
slogfester

Post by slogfester »

Some feedback to share and as thanks for everyones contributions:

Pedals in hand luggage were fine. Thermos was queried in one airport but allowed. Tent (Ti) pegs spotted and (understandably) threatened with expulsion. It was my mistake, having forgot that they were wrapped in the tent inner (desperate last minute attempt to shed checked-in luggage), but I pleaded with security and they let me through. One security guy got upset by inner tubes!

In short, its a frustrating lottery! Dependent upon geo-politics, date/time of travel (busy/empty, staffing etc), airport, staff training/experience/mood, plane (cargo capacity), passenger/cargo payload, route, destination, airline, luck, etc :?
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

It has caused me hours of hair pulling, knowing everything is within the weight limit but having to try and keep locks, pegs, mallets, stoves, tools - the heavy but smaller stuff in the hold whilst evicting the sleeping bag, tent canvas etc - the bulky stuff to the cabin bag.

Back in 2009 i forgot to put my lock and cable in the bike case, they stole my cable but left me with the lock! no logic at all.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
jk49

Post by jk49 »

Same here, lost my cable lock at Bournemouth last July. Let me keep the straps on my day sack and belt. Surrounded by people with thin leather handbag straps! Heyho.......
climo

Post by climo »

I did a job at Heathrow 3 days after Lockerbie. Ever single car going to departures was being searched. I was going to the luggage handling side with a whole car full of metals boxes full of my kit, no security checks, no passes, nothing. Some cargo containers were left open and anyone could have put anything inside one.
My client's security pass was 6 months out of date.

The same on Army bases in the NI 'troubles'. Front entrance all top security. Rear just drive right in.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

A posh Alessi i corkscrew was taken from someone i know recently. Worth a fair bit.

But the corkscrew bit of it is totally recessed within the body, not exposed at all.

In fact it is so clever clever stylish italian design that after using it you sometimes have to struggle to retrieve the cork from its innards.

I appreciate the dilemma the authorities face but can't help but think that the SAS/mossad etc, and the islam extremist nutjobs that follow them, could fashion a deadly weapon from almost anything, and could buy it in the consumer heaven airport once they have passed through security.
Sweep
TimP

Post by TimP »

Please note that regulations vary country to country - and don't necessarily match IATA rules.
In China magnets are banned, along with cigarette lighters. (plus all the normal stuff) for hand luggage. Small lithium batteries such as phone and powerbank for phone tend to be allowed but no lithium batteries - or large normal dry cell batteries in check in luggage. I regularly have t dump batteries before leaving China.
Technical equipment can be an issue too.

Throughout East and South East Asia rules vary country to country and airport to airport and even same airport (in China domestic flights are often tighter than international flights!)

Actually, I have found Airports in UK have different views on what is okay and what isn't too, but not on such a scale as in China.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Blank - couldn't delete
Sweep
22camels

Post by 22camels »

TimP wrote:In China magnets are banned.

How odd! Does this mean you can't take a bag with a magnetic closure (such as a bar bag) on board? What about magnetic compasses?