Cable lock in hand baggage?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
slogfester

Cable lock in hand baggage?

Post by slogfester »

I know, crazy, but I have to ask the Q.
Do airlines/security allow cable locks in hand baggage? I'm desperately trying to minimise check-in baggage weight, so as a small heavy item, my combination cable lock is a prime candidate for hand baggage. E.g. I normally carry my pedals as luggage.
Thanks
bikerwaser

Re: Cable lock in hand baggage?

Post by bikerwaser »

i bought a lock in Berlin as it was so cheap but when i tried to take it through in hand luggage they took it off me.
Crazy !
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I know someone who was about to lose a dlock to security - so he gave it to a friend to take back out of the airport.
Sweep
slogfester

Post by slogfester »

I'm worried about my pedals now. Everything is weapon to a maniac.
We'll be reduced to carrying cuddy toys only soon.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Airport security can make some "weird" decisions on occasions. Once I was going through security with a small boating shackle on my camera case (for attaching things). And I was stopped and it was confiscated on the basis that I could use it as a weapon (by slipping it over a finger (like a signet ring) and using it a lit like a knuckle duster !!! I did argue but they were determined and would not budge even when I suggested everybody wearing any rings (particularly engagement rings with their protruding shard diamonds) should have their rings confiscated as well ... that is the French for you.

Ian
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Unlikely to get through as it will be viewed as a potential ligature (as my flyfishing line has been from time to time) I'd guess.
IanW

Post by IanW »

The best thing I have ever (successfully) taken through airport security was a pair of motobike-to-motorbike radios and ancilliary rider-to-pillion intercom plus assorted other electronics
My spouse also took her pair of radios.
(And before anyone asks, no we did not "check our motorbikes in as hold-luggage.)

Each pair was packed into a Faraday cage (antennas on the outside) which took the form of a petty cash tin
into which each CB radio was packed and each contained 10 AA cells (so 20 in each cash tin)
plus a PP3 battery and *loads* of electronics.

All-up weight of each was 2 KG.

I forwarned airport security that they were about to x-ray something that was likely to worry them, *a lot*.

Their response was "Not to worry sir, we had seen *everything* before / in the past. Nothing would faze them."

They were wrong. They went white as the whitest sheets.
And I then proceeded to unpack and demonstrate one of the sets fully working and was allowed on my (our) way.

That was Manchester airport, back in 1997, i.e. pre-"911".
Nowadays I am not sure that I'd dare take even a plastic spoon.

P.S. On that trip our checked-in luggage included a padded hard-shell suitcase containing 2 motorbike helmets
and we wore our motorcycle jackets through security and they weighed about 20 KG each, including motorbike chain locks.
Again, I doubt that would work nowadays.

When flying anywhere, I think *everything* needs to be considered "sacrificial" / possibly subject to confiscation.
This is inspite of apparently allowed "personal items" (according to https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions/personal-items )
like "scissors (blades less than 6cm)", "sewing and knitting needles", "Round-ended/blunt scissors" and "safety matches"
beardy

Post by beardy »

Bonefishblues wrote:Unlikely to get through as it will be viewed as a potential ligature (as my flyfishing line has been from time to time) I'd guess.

Yet jackets and fleeces etc will have drawcords in them that are easily removed and just as good at that job, or boot laces.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

It doesn't seem to be on the UK list but I am sure I have seen "no restraining items eg packing tape etc" on an airline no go list. I reckon a cable lock would be a definite no no.

I have already suggested posting some items. Alternatively you could buy when you got there. You can always post home and have as a spare.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

beardy wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Unlikely to get through as it will be viewed as a potential ligature (as my flyfishing line has been from time to time) I'd guess.

Yet jackets and fleeces etc will have drawcords in them that are easily removed and just as good at that job, or boot laces.

Yes absolutely. Let's not forget duty free booze bottles either. Massively contradictory and totally inconsistently applied but that's how it is.
IanW

Post by IanW »

Anyone use any of the products made by Pacsafe travel products ( http://www.pacsafe.com/travel-accessories-wallets.html ) that are specifically intended for travel use?

Several of them, including the waist-pouch that I use contain cut-proof thin stainless steel wire-rope with a locking eye at each end.
So clearly usable as either a restraint or a ligature, but it / they have not [yet] been added to the excluded hand baggage item list.

Bonefishblues wrote:Yes absolutely. Let's not forget duty free booze bottles either. Massively contradictory and totally inconsistently applied but that's how it is.

And Rucksack straps?, Stilleto heels?, Broaches / hat-pins? Etc.

And on the subject of duty-free booze bottles, why aren't these *plastic* bottles for so many other practicle reasons too?
I wonder how many break in the fall out of over-head hand-luggage storage? Or fall onto someone's head from same?
I wonder how much extra aircraft fuel is spend hauling all of this excess glass, not to mention all the other on-board duty-free nonsense?
I wonder how much extra storage space is wasted by duty-free being in *round* glass bottles? (Square-ish plastics dense-pack much better.)

It is all meaningless security theatre. Any committed terrorist would [will], unless really stupid (like some politicians and some air-transport security staff appear to be), come up with something that would get past security.
I wonder (or maybe I should *not*) how many items *already* stowed on a plane could be misused by a terrorist?

Meanwhile travel by air is becoming ever more inconvenient, tedious and stressful.
Sometimes I wonder if all this security theatre is precisely intended to achieve *this* result?
bikerwaser

Post by bikerwaser »

Bonefishblues wrote:
beardy wrote:

Yes absolutely. Let's not forget duty free booze bottles either. Massively contradictory and totally inconsistently applied but that's how it is.

Yes, I forgot to mention that although i got my lock taken from me , the Glass bottle i'd bought at the Airport was fine. maybe if the Airport had sold me a lock that would have been fine.

the problems we face here are caused by our insatiable need for oil. we bomb innocent people in countries we know virtually nothing about (until we see it on the news) to protect our oil interests , they in turn retaliate ( surprise surprise ) and so we heighten our level of security and can't take a simple lock on a plane.

anyway, trying desperately to steer this back to the initial thread i would suggest putting as much as possible in the hold. i've seen security staff being very heavy handed with people for no reason. it's almost like the increased power they've been handed goes to their head and they can act very irrational.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

IanW wrote:

Anyone use any of the products made by Pacsafe travel products ( http://www.pacsafe.com/travel-accessories-wallets.html ) that are specifically intended for travel use?

Several of them, including the waist-pouch that I use contain cut-proof thin stainless steel wire-rope with a locking eye at each end.
So clearly usable as either a restraint or a ligature, but it / they have not [yet] been added to the excluded hand baggage item list.

Bonefishblues wrote:Yes absolutely. Let's not forget duty free booze bottles either. Massively contradictory and totally inconsistently applied but that's how it is.

And Rucksack straps?, Stilleto heels?, Brooches / hat-pins? Etc.

You are Miss Marple and I claim my fifty pounds :D
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Don't worry mate, when you get to NZ they'll impound half your stuff because its not a not clean enough!

Seiously, don't forget to wash, clean disinfect, etc. Absolutely no foodstuffs.
CJ

Post by CJ »

Just WEAR ALL YOUR CLOTHES. Sweaty, but safe - and cheap. You can strip off when you get in the 'plane.

Then the dodgy metal can go in the hold. Leave the pedals on the bike, screwed in the backs of the cranks - assuming you're not too precious about paint. This bike IS for touring I presume, not for looking at?
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.