North or south ?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
rannochraider

North or south ?

Post by rannochraider »

Hi folks, I'm in the Paisley area just a tad north of Glasgow. I'm new to Cycle touring, very new! Done a we bit of time trialling and a wee bit of 3/4 cat racing but not for a few years. I reckon I could say that I'm pretty unfit hoping to ride into a small degree of fitness during my tour.
I feel the need to 'bug out' for a fortnight or so and have a decent bike and panniers. I also have lots of outdoor clothes and a decent tent.
My question is this, I really love Scotland's West coast and I know it is generally damp but mild 'ish' about now, hoe does it compare with scenic routes into the north west or north east of England at this time of year?

If you were cycle touring these areas right now would you be carrying /wearing/ equipped with anything special ? Would you consider this 'run of the mill' touring or would there be a degree of survival / serious planning skilld required for a trip right now?

Appreciate your opinions
Cheers
Jim
Paulatic

Re: North or south ?

Post by Paulatic »

Definitely South!
I'd probably go as far as the Sth of France this time of year[emoji3]

Choosing from your options I'd choose the Nth West of England.
Reasons: it can be marginally warmer than the East
Definitely more bolt holes for bad weather than in Scotland.
You'll never be more than a days ride from a station that can whisk you back to Paisley.
Special equipment: take your wellies [emoji3]
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Within the UK, I'd either head for Suffolk/Norfolk or the south coast. Suffolk/Norfolk may not be the warmest place this time of year, but as most of the weather is off the Atlantic, it's one of the driest. Otherwise, I'd consider the south coast, which has the mildest weather in the UK, including more sunshine than most other places.

You may have trouble finding camping, unless you are wild camping. The biggest problem with cycle touring this time of year is that the combination of cold and wet can be deadly, and if you are camping, it can also be hard to get away from. Take more warm things than you think you need, by at least one layer, and take things that will keep you warm, even when wet, such as wool.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
hufty

Post by hufty »

Definitely North!

One great thing about touring in Scotland is you can free camp more or less anywhere, which makes life so much easier. I can recommend getting the Gourock-Dunoon Ferry then heading West and North, which means you can miss out the "popular" Loch Lomond area. As to what to take, I would be looking at clothing/gloves/footwear that is wet when warm rather than relying on keeping rain out. For me this means sandals with a choice of merino and/or goretex socks, Buffalo mittens, merino layers.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
DaleFTW

Post by DaleFTW »

If I was off on a tour now, I'd be heading into the glorious isolation of the Hebrides and the far North.

I'd be looking at OS Landranger maps and the Mountain Bothy Association website too...
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Notice that was a "Scottish spring" not winter.

E2E info
DaleFTW

Post by DaleFTW »

Paulatic wrote:

Notice that was a "Scottish spring" not winter.

Well done?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

DaleFTW wrote:If I was off on a tour now, I'd be heading into the glorious isolation of the Hebrides and the far North.

This picture of Scotland today is why I questioned your choice. Image

E2E info
Flite

Post by Flite »

Snowing in the North Pennines as well.....
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Flite wrote:Snowing in the North Pennines as well.....

After having been up in the North Pennines today I can confirm. I didn't cycle up but some did and they were covered in snow.
DaleFTW

Post by DaleFTW »

Still not really grasping your point? Or is that you don't like it when it gets a widdle bit cold?

The coldest night I've ever spent in a tent was in an April. It's the UK, you can get all four seasons in a day and sub zero temperatures in the summer months.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

DaleFTW wrote:If I was off on a tour now, I'd be heading into the glorious isolation of the Hebrides and the far North.

I'd be looking at OS Landranger maps and the Mountain Bothy Association website too...

+1 for this suggestion.
The hebrides are great for winter touring, sure it can be a bit blustery, but temperatures are generally not as cold as the mainland.
The Gatliff hostels are always open and you can camp at them if you want to save a few quid, but still get the advantages of the facilities and a warm living area to relax in or wait out the weather.
The north west mainland is also not bad for winter touring if you stick near the coast, and there are a few bothies that can be accessed by bike relatively easily.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

DaleFTW wrote:Still not really grasping your point? Or is that you don't like it when it gets a widdle bit cold?

The coldest night I've ever spent in a tent was in an April. It's the UK, you can get all four seasons in a day and sub zero temperatures in the summer months.

I've spent my entire working life outdoors. My last thirty years as a hill shepherd 5000 acres of land laying between 700' to 2000' in Scotland. I think I can put up with a "widdle bit cold" as you put it. Or has my age and experience made me soft compared to where you live or travel to?

Once again you are quoting an example with reference to spring (April) you can indeed get four seasons in one day especially in April. My experience tells me in winter that can be rare and very often for weeks on end it is purely one season (winter).

I do take the point Alexander makes though that the Hebrides are going to less severe an more blustery.

E2E info
ferdinand

Post by ferdinand »

At the moment the South Coast gets about 20% or 90 minutes more daylight than Aberdeen, so I'd go there and leave the West Coast for Easter.

I'd say a Cyclists Welcome BB every 2 or 3 nights and get your kit list from one of the hundreds that are everywhere.

Ferdinand