Off-bike travel shoes recommendation

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
bidi

Off-bike travel shoes recommendation

Post by bidi »

I'm kitting myself out for a long-term cycle tour and would like recommendations for off-bike footwear. I want footwear for when I park the bike up and spend a day sight-seeing. I'm looking for shoes/boots which are comfortable in all climates, suitable for walking about for hours and not weigh too much in my panniers.

Any suggestions?
hufty

Re: Off-bike travel shoes recommendation

Post by hufty »

Keen Newports and a choice of socks depending on the weather. You can pedal in them too if you don't mind riding without cleats, then you only need one pair of shoes.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
slogfester

Post by slogfester »

My Shimano spds are so comfy I wear them all day every day, on and off the bike, hot or cold. Hiking, sight-seeing etc. For evenings/hotels/camp site etc I upgraded from flip-flops to Crocs a few years a go :)
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

> I've previously used Shimano SPD sandals as my only footwear (on and off the bike) but my last pair wore out and the modern replacement didn't fit so well.

> So this year I tried the new Shimano CT45 Click'R shoe and have found it very comfortable and I will use it as my only touring shoe (on and off bike) next year.

> About £48 a pair from wiggle at the moment ( click here

> These shoes work fine with the normal 2-bolt SPD cleats
Attachments
temp.jpg
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
jamesgilbert

Post by jamesgilbert »

I'm not an SPD user (at least not on a touring bike), I just have some comfy trainers that are used on and off the bike. The main criteria for me is that they must be quick-drying, otherwise you might get some strange cultures developing on a long tour in damp conditions! I also take a light pair of sandals - I don't get on well with flip-flops or crocs and I can use them for sightseeing when the weather's nice.
Barrenfluffit

Post by Barrenfluffit »

An alternative approach would be to buy local shoes en route.

There is a theory that you take two pairs of shoes to cover the extremes and put up with the conditions inbetween.
So people might take walking boots and sandals.

its a tradeoff between packed size, offering enough protection to your soles and casual functionality. I like those foam plastic clogs as their fine in showers, beaches etc.