New free map app out for Android / iOS and works offline

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
theDaveB

New free map app out for Android / iOS and works offline

Post by theDaveB »

Just seen this posted about a new map app out. I wouldn't normally post about them as I bet loads are released all the time but I use the same companies mail app on my phone and it's really good, so have high hopes for this -

http://maps.me/en/home

It says it works totally offline as well, which is a good thing.

The way it works, as you zoom in for more detail is ask you if you want to download that section/country and tells you the size.

Dave
mrjemm

Re: New free map app out for Android / iOS and works offline

Post by mrjemm »

One example where Windows Phone actually got there 1st with Here Maps. :D
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

It used to be called MapsWithMe, and has been around for a while - I was using it last year. Yes it's good, fast, detailed (also shows campsites), and works offline. Also now includes a navigation option.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Is the source code available or is it not free as in freedom?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

The promise is that the source code will be released openly next year.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
mjr

Post by mjr »

Thanks. Source code is needed to review it and add it to the F-Droid app store.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Seem to remember that i had it on my tab but then deleted it because an uodate seemed to demand personal info i could see no reason for it to have.

The consents that some apps seem to want from you continues to amaze me.
Sweep
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

I used it (as MapsWithMe) on my tiny little Android phone and it worked beautifully. I now use MapOut on the iPhone - similar offline maps with smooth vector rendering, but it has contours, hillshading and a couple of other bike-friendly features. Both OSM-based, of course.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
robing

Post by robing »

Brilliant! Been looking for something like this for ages. Thanks!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Re my post above about me deleting it, just checked on playstore re reinstalling and it seems to demand, amongst other things:

Identity

Wi fi connect info

Device id and call info

Why should it need all this?

What does it mean by call info?

Until i can figure all this out i will stick to osm on the garmin.
Sweep
mjr

Post by mjr »

It'll want Wi-Fi to download the maps from the sound of it. Not sure about the rest.
craign74

Post by craign74 »

I've used it for biking in France, and hiking in Austria this year, it works very well.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Does anyone know it you can plan your own route on the map, with "way points", or is it just a start and end type?
Can routes be saved and used again?

Cheers.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
craign74

Post by craign74 »

You can load up a route to follow, I had the Avenue Verte loaded while in France, and it came in very handy when we came off route for our overnight accommodation.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:I used it (as MapsWithMe) on my tiny little Android phone and it worked beautifully. I now use MapOut on the iPhone - similar offline maps with smooth vector rendering, but it has contours, hillshading and a couple of other bike-friendly features. Both OSM-based, of course.

I've just purchased MapOut (for my iPhone @£3.99) and it looks excellent. Uses vector maps (OSM) so quick to download (for offline use) and doesn't take too much storage. Fabulous maps, quite cycle oriented, does some really nice things with altitude plots (e.g. touch and hold two fingers on the screen and it will draw a line between your fingers and an altitude plot. Tap n a cycle route and a the section of the route is highlighted and an altitude plot drawn.

Not yet tried recording a track but certainly tracks/routes can be exchanged between Mac and iPhone (e.g. using AirDrop and other mechanisms I've not tried).

Previously I've been using ViewRanger but they now seem to be focussing more on the "Social Internet" aspects (sharing your tracks route to/from others on the web, logging on to their systems and buying more premium mapping and routes and not focusing in what I would consider core functionality (like the altitude plots in MapOut). e.g. a "major" (i.e. listed" feature of the latest release of ViewRanger is "the ability to change user profile picture and first and last names from user account menu" - which to my mind is really trivial when there are major mapping features they should be implementing.

So, depending on the recording functionality (resolution, battery use, etc.) I'll be switching to MapOut (it has already replaced my Apple Maps which is only online and uses mapping full of errors).

Ian