Poles on a plane

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
1982john

Poles on a plane

Post by 1982john »

Hi,

I'm looking to take a (cheap) long weekend Malta. I'm wondering if I can take my tent as on board luggage? Obs pegs are a no no and are pretty cheap to buy but poles are hard and expensive to replace.

Anyone with experience?
Sweep

Re: Poles on a plane

Post by Sweep »

Gotta ask.

You really want all the hassle of flying with a tent and associated stuff for a weekend?
Sweep
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

I'd ask whatever airline you're flying on.

"Sorry, you can't check those in"
"But some random guy on the interweb said he'd taken his, on a different airline, from a different airport, to a different destination, so you've got to let me"

Insert your best guess as to whether the next line would be "Okay", or "No we don't"...

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

pjclinch wrote:I'd ask whatever airline you're flying on.

It's nothing to do with the airline, they don't run the airport security check that makes you throw away "dangerous weapons" such as spanners and corkscrews in your hand-luggage. It's DfT's rules that matter.

https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restric ... -equipment
Now they don't specifically mention tent poles, but since fishing rods are banned, and what is a tent pole but more or less the same thing as a fishing rod, I don't think they'll be happy.
kuba

Post by kuba »

Take a bivy! It's not gonna rain there, is it? 8)
Steveindenmark

Post by Steveindenmark »

We saw a guy trying to get on the plane in Krakow with a 2 piece pool cue in a box but the Ryanair staff would not let him on with it and he didn't get on the flight.

Tent poles...I doubt it.
22camels

Post by 22camels »

I got away with it on a domestic flight (cardiff -glasgow).. it was a cheap tent and I didn't mind risking it.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Steveindenmark wrote:We saw a guy trying to get on the plane in Krakow with a 2 piece pool cue in a box but the Ryanair staff would not let him on with it and he didn't get on the flight.

Tent poles...I doubt it.

Krakow plane would have lots of Poles on it :D
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Dudley Manlove

Post by Dudley Manlove »

pete75 wrote:
Steveindenmark wrote:We saw a guy trying to get on the plane in Krakow with a 2 piece pool cue in a box but the Ryanair staff would not let him on with it and he didn't get on the flight.

Tent poles...I doubt it.

Krakow plane would have lots of Poles on it :D

I was wondering when the Ryanair flight to Krakow would be the punchline.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I well remember going to communist poland (by train, and yes it was that long ago) and a amongst the things they said you couldn't enter poland with were maps with the names of polish places in german and harpoons. Both i could understand.

Top marks to the bivvie suggestion.

Am still not entirely sure that the OP was serious.
Sweep