Circuit of the Luberon

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
les tocknell

Circuit of the Luberon

Post by les tocknell »

We're planning to travel to Provence by Bike Express next September. We intend to do the circuit of the Luberon and anything else that takes our fancy. We will be camping and, as my wife is not a regular cyclist, although amazingly fit when she does, I wondered if anyone has done this and what the hills are like? Campsite recommendations, especially municipals, would be welcome. too.
pedallingpaddler

Re: Circuit of the Luberon

Post by pedallingpaddler »

If you look on the veloloisirluberon website there is a Guides & Literature tab that shows profiles of the route. My wife and I did quite a lot of the circuit in early October this year: I would describe it as hilly rather than mountainous but none of the hills are especially long. Sorry, can't help with campsites, although be aware that many French sites close in September.
Tail End Charlie

Post by Tail End Charlie »

The web site mentioned is very helpful.
I did the loop of Luberon in 2009. I used the EBE to Orange and worked my way past Avignon to Cavaillon and went anti clockwise. It's a great route, well sign posted and I did the extra loop above Forcalquier, which I recommend.
Campsites will be open in September it's only towards the end some start closing down. I'm ashamed to say I can't remember the sites I stayed on apart from Beaumont de Pertuis which was a good one, about half a mile out of town down a dip. I did struggle to find one on the hilly loop above Forcalquier but everywhere else was well catered for. I loved the route and those fountains in the middle of each village are a god send.
I combined it with a trip up Mont Ventoux in the second week, go on, you know you want to!!
BruceJ

Post by BruceJ »

Have a look at http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/ There's a section on French campsites which might be useful. Also the Michelin Camping guide. We did the Luberon loops in 2013 on a tandem, but stayed in b & bs, and found the hills fairly easy. Strong wind was a problem though on one day in September.
Dweasle

Post by Dweasle »

Hi Les - We did exactly this, and had a wonderful time. I wrote it all up, and if you are interested the link is:-

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=S ... 10844&v=8U

Have fun.

Brian & Annie
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Very nice. I've done bits of Provence a couple of times. Really liked the Var (a little South of your target area), gorges de verdon are nice ( but they are a bit busy for cycling in tourist season) . The Ventoux and the Col de la Lure are worth doing just to tick the experience. Not saying you have to do em but they aren't that tough (assuming you're not planning on doing Tour de France pace) and are good experiences if it's not super hot. The col de la Lure is shaded going up whereas Ventoux is shadeless after Chalet Reynard if I remember correctly.i think we camped happily in somewhat stony ground for a few days at Forqualquier but it's too long ago to be a reliable camping reference.