Touring and Camping - Campsite POI's

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
ValDa

Touring and Camping - Campsite POI's

Post by ValDa »

I contribute to a lot of camping and caravanning forums, and there's an invaluable website for users of SatNavs which gives more than 30,000 POI's for campsites throughout Europe (and including the United Kingdom).
Talking to a cycling friend of mine this weekend, he asked if I knew any websites which gave POI information for Europe as he's planning a 'Grand Tour'. It struck me that Archie's Camping website would be a useful resource for cyclists who don't want to carry loads of paper information.
It's available as an App for most smartphones, or can be downloaded to a Laptop if you wish.
It's free to download, and the App is very reasonably priced.
It's updated regularly, and is the best campsite POI database that I've found.
jamesgilbert

Re: Touring and Camping - Campsite POI's

Post by jamesgilbert »

It's been mentioned a few times on here recently, I agree that it's the best database around but you still can't rely on it 100%. I prefer just searching on Google Maps, although that doesn't always work either and obviously requires internet access. It's always annoying when your chosen campsite for the night has closed down...
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

You can also i think download the POIs to chuck on a garmin.

I have it installed as one of two extras.

The other one is the Wspoons poi thingy,
Sweep
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Silly old me, but what does POI stand for?

I've googled it and got 51 meanings. I'm guessing point of interest.

Let's hope the poster keeps giving us useful cycle related tips.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Yes

Points of interest.

Campsites and spoons
Sweep
c0d3x42

Post by c0d3x42 »

Can't remember where I found it from right now but I also found POIs Lidl's and rotten McRonys for all of Europe. Figured that would be handy for cheap food and free wifi for those on tour.
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

Archies is very good - I load the POIs onto Pocket Earth on my iPhone which makes them easier to see than on a Garmin device IMO.

If you are relying on a particular site existing/being open then definitely call ahead. I've had a few occasions (but not many) where we got to a site only to find nothing there.
ValDa

Post by ValDa »

A new update of Archie's Camping is available - http://www.archiescampings.eu/eng1/ - and there is a complete new look to this version, as well as the usual updated information and POI's for 30,000 plus campsites throughout Britain and Europe.

Those who have Archie's saved as a 'favourite' will want to change this to go to the new website. Downloads can now be done directly from the home page, and POI's are available for all the Camping Cheque sites and Best Deal sites, for those who have access to the Best Deal App, but unfortunately not yet for the ACSI Card sites.

For those who have a smartphone Archie's is now also available as a App from Google Play.

An earlier post mentions the POI's for Lidl, and supermarkets in Europe - this is also available through Archie's Camping website, and as a PDF version which can be printed off using the link to Parafoeter's page, down in the bottom right hand corner.

Please feel free to post this on any other forums where you think the information may be appreciated.
Peter Molog

Post by Peter Molog »

The only disadvantage of Archies is that there is made no difference the types of sites. Big, very big, small or no tents allowed.
So beware!
Peter

Please, excuse my English. I'm Dutch.