USA cycle ride 2015. But where do you recommend I start?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Magnum

Post by Magnum »

Hi.

I am toying with an extended trip to the USA in early 2015 and really have yet to make any headway into what I need in terms of visas and where best to be riding!

Did a similar ride in Britain this year, 5 months around the isle was a delight and think the USA might throw up some more gems.

Can anyone recommend and reading material, books, web sites and a logical start point for late January - working my way north as I am not in the mood for winter riding nor anything above 40 degrees either!

I do not have to be home anytime in 2015, so the trip can last 1+yrs.
Thanks
RonK

Post by RonK »

Have you visited the Adventure Cycling Association's web site? You'll find plenty of route suggestions there.
Keep in mind that much of the north experiences heavy snowfall in winter.

Many international tourists are able to complete the Transcontinental route during the 90 day visa waiver period. Take much longer than that and the mountain passes are likely to be closed anyway.

With a year available you could string together ACA routes to do a lap of the states, and possibly venture into British Columbia, Canada.
The theory is simple: a) cycling is inherently fun, and b) the less weight you carry, the more fun it is.

Tour Journals, Articles and Blog: Whispering Wheels
MrsHJ

Re: USA cycle ride 2015. But where do you recommend I start?

Post by MrsHJ »

Lucky you, I haven't done it but am planning on taking 3 months leave in 2019 to do either the main route or the desert variant frim Pueblo ( that sounds very tough though). Here's the link to the overview. http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes-and-maps/adventure-cycling-route-network/interactive-network-map/

I wonder if the southern tier starting from San Diego, then up the East coast, then the northern tier and down the west coast would be about a year? Roughly 3 months for each of the cross america sections I believe. Which bits do you really want to see?
lisap

Post by lisap »

Magnum if you are intent on starting the trip early in 2015 then one place to start might be the Pacific Coast. The Pacific Northwest won't be snowy if you stick to the coast but it will be wet. Not all the campgrounds are open all year round but there are loads to choose from and plenty of cheap motels if you need one. Very handy for drying stuff out on the odd occasion. Also check out the Youth Hostels, cheaper than a motel and in some georgeous locations.

I rode San Francisco to LA one Christmas and had very little rain until Santa Barbara but most of the time I was in shorts and long sleeve top. Christmas Eve was spent watching a flaming red sun go down over the Pacific which was stunning, I was the only person camping and had the place to myself.

if you went south to San Diego you would be able to start the Southern Tier at the best time of year as it can get very hot after the spring. I did it March to May and it was very warm within days with only one day of rain the whole way.

Riding North isn't ideal especially the Pacifc Coast. You are on the wrong side of the road and close to sheer sided rock faces sometimes and the prevailing wind against you. I've met a few doing it that way round and they have all said never again. Going south I enjoyed it so much I've done it twice now.

I haven't done the TransAm but that seems to be a May to September East to West route and having done the start of the Northern Tier in June and battled snow storms I wouldn't recommend it in January.

Florida and the Keys would be warm, again ridden there over Christamas and it was in the 80's. Traffic is awful though and the Floridians don't get bikes. It's the only place I've ever been knocked off.

Wherever you go do look at the ACA website, it's a fantastic resource. Happy planning and have a good trip.
irc

Post by irc »

A good place to look at is crazyguyonabike.com which has loads of American cyclists and tour stories.

If you just want to ride coast to coast the 90 days allowed under the visa waiver scheme is plenty. Otherwise you'll need a visa which involves an appointment and interview at the American embassy in London.

For a 5 month or longer tour I'd suggest starting the end of Feb then riding the Southern Tier east to west - Florida to San Diego. That's 3000 miles which at 50 miles per day is 2 months.

Another 600 miles up the coast on the Pacific Coast route gets you to San Francisco by mid May.

By then the snow will hopefully have melted enough for you to ride over the Sierras into Nevada and Utah on the Western Express route and join the Transam in Colorado. San Francisco to the east coast on the Western Express and Transam will take about 2 months at 55 miles per day. So a total of 4.5 months for a double coast to coast taking in some great scenery. Maybe divert slightly from the Western Express to take in Zion National Park.

You need to be flexible crossing the Sierras and be prepared to wait out late snowfalls. This picture was from a June 3rd crossing of the pass from California to Nevada on the Western Express.

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=T0&page_id=191395&v=Rl
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=T0&page_id=191395&v=Rl

Total about 7200 miles plus any diversions you choose.
http://www.iocco-uk.info/docs/Met%20Ope ... Report.pdf

http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes- ... fic-coast/

http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes- ... n-express/

http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes- ... ica-trail/
hamster

Post by hamster »

I'd second the Pacific Coast. I rode Portland - San Francisco one summer, it was brilliant. However, some parts are pretty uninhabited and camping is almost inevitable in some stretches.
Magnum

Post by Magnum »

Thanks.

Interesting stuff.

Awaiting my interview date with the American consulate.
Will let you know my plans once I have them better fleshed out.
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

Stick with ACA routes they won't lead you wrong. Trust me you'll see plenty of the country and have it to yourself. In 2013 I did a variation on the Northern Tier (I rode across southern PA to visit friends) and met 5 other cyclists going the same way, that's in 4700 miles.

Here's my thinking. If you must start early in the year the only safe bet is the Southern Tier E-W. If you do the ST W-E at this time of year you're likely to run into snow outside San DIego around Alpine believe it or not. Resist the temptation to go into Mexico, some of the border towns are really dodgy; you won't see much there you won't see in the US and if you survive you may have a hard time getting back in again. Consider the Sierra - Cascades route for heading north from San Diego, actually you don't have to go into SD the SC crosses the ST about 60 miles outside San DIego. There's a fair bit of climbing but it does take you through Yosemite and Sequoya. From Northern CA just south of Lake Tahoe you can head east on the Western Express route through spectacular desert to Peublo and there join the TransAm ~2200 miles to the east coast. From there head down the Atlantic coast back to Florida.

Check with the Park Services and/or the National Forest Service about road conditions i.e. snow anywhere with high elevations. In Washington state I ended up taking an enormous detour thanks to a blocked pass in June. One phone call earlier and I could have avoided it.

Good luck you'll have fun and meet some nice people.

Pete
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
Magnum

Post by Magnum »

Thank you.

Just been whiling away a pleasant 20 minutes reading your travelogue / links - thanks!