Cycle Touring Festival Clitheroe

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
robing

Re: Cycle Touring Festival Clitheroe

Post by robing »

I can't believe people are moaning about the cost. £75 for the weekend including camping and meals seems pretty good value. They've got several speakers lined up. I don't think I'll be able to go unfortunately, but if I could I'd be up there like a shot.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

robing wrote:I can't believe people are moaning about the cost. £75 for the weekend including camping and meals seems pretty good value. They've got several speakers lined up. I don't think I'll be able to go unfortunately, but if I could I'd be up there like a shot.

Cyclists are a diverse lot aren't they? If it was my sort of thing I would say it's good value too. After all some daft ******* pay nearly that to ride on public roads and be given gels.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
PrinterJohn

Post by PrinterJohn »

All down to disposable income really, was only trying to help. John
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Bicycler wrote:Their website is very much Guide branded: http://www.waddow.org.uk/about_us.aspx

As a long term member of both the Scout Association and YHA (though not the Guides for obvious reasons), I think the strength of a lot of these organisations lies in some of the wonderful places they own. Many of which were donated in the last century or sold at a discounted rate. .

Thanks for that, bicycler, i should have checked. I only wondered as I cycled past a year or two ago and at the entrance there was something that looked like a corporate sign.
Sweep
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

robing wrote:I can't believe people are moaning about the cost. £75 for the weekend including camping and meals seems pretty good value. They've got several speakers lined up. I don't think I'll be able to go unfortunately, but if I could I'd be up there like a shot.

For me it is not good value. The advertised speakers have nothing of interest beyond my own experiences for me to want to take time to listen. The lunches would prevent me doing day rides. That only leaves the cycling there, the actual meeting up with others and the camping. These, which first interested me about the event, would be poor value at £75.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Sweep wrote:Thanks for that, bicycler, i should have checked. I only wondered as I cycled past a year or two ago and at the entrance there was something that looked like a corporate sign.

There is an external link on that site for corporate bookings. I assume that they have third party arrange the letting out of meeting rooms etc.
Heltor Chasca

Cycle Touring Festival Clitheroe

Post by Heltor Chasca »

bikepacker wrote:

For me it is not good value. The advertised speakers have nothing of interest beyond my own experiences for me to want to take time to listen. The lunches would prevent me doing day rides. That only leaves the cycling there, the actual meeting up with others and the camping. These, which first interested me about the event, would be poor value at £75.

I genuinely wish the organisers well and hope it is a success. I won't be attending despite my initial excitement about the festival. I have my issues about the pricing structure, but that could be personal, regional or my own experience of similar events. I'll leave it at that. Basing it on a Royal Geographic Society event is an interesting way about it even though there has been a recent price-drop by the organisers.

'Festival' says to me 'outside' and 'doing'. The programme suggests this is a conference (in the FAQs). I'm not one to be cooped up inside listening to speakers, (albeit very esteemed ones) There are enough brilliant blogs, YouTube videos and books out there to fill winter's evenings while winter has her grasp.

When spring arrives, things are different. It's been a rotten cycling winter and by spring I want to be out on my bike, sleeping under canvas eating my own grub and yacking to others round the camp fire. Sorry. I'm a doer. I learn more in the 3 dimensional sense rather than an academic approach. I also quite like a bit of 'retail therapy' at these festivals and chatting to suppliers.[emoji5]️

That's just me and these are my opinions. I'm not out to offend. I just want to put my thoughts out there for the organisers for market research purposes and feedback from a member of their prime-target-market. A simple, bog-standard cyclist.

I care about the future and promotion of cycling whatever guise it takes...hc
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

An alternative weekend which might appeal more (and is cheaper as it doesn't include meals beyond one breakfast) is the Kirkpatrick Macmillan Rally, 22-25 May.

Note that I have no connection to this at all. I am tempted to go - just not sure about camping!
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

LollyKat wrote:An alternative weekend which might appeal more (and is cheaper as it doesn't include meals beyond one breakfast) is the Kirkpatrick Macmillan Rally, 22-25 May.

Note that I have no connection to this at all. I am tempted to go - just not sure about camping!

Offering not only an excellent cycling area but it coincides with our 'spring fling' this year. Artists throughout the region open their workshops to the public. http://www.spring-fling.co.uk/ sometimes works out expensive if mrs P is with me [emoji3][emoji3]
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
pete75

Post by pete75 »

East Midlands CTC usually have their annual rally on the late May bank holiday weekend. It's held at Beaumanor Hall in Charnwood Forest and costs about 8 quid a night.

http://www.leicestersecular.plus.com/ct ... Rally.html
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mike chadwick

Post by mike chadwick »

Hi all
Tickets are now on sale for £65.00 quite good value for what's on offer can use the £10.00 saving to buy breakfast
Which means I do not have to bring all my cooking equipment and food so can travel light.
Mike
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Well folks, it's on again this May and again it's £75 plus another £4 if you wanna camp.
And again I'm not going due to the price. :evil:
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Ha, you probably got the same mail as me.

I won't be going either.

I'm not so much objecting to the price but the fact that you can't unbundle the camping.

My reasons for wanting to do this are perfectly genuine (for many won't be an issue) - I come from very close to there - it would be somewhat barmy for me to schlep a load of camping gear there and pay for the privilege.

By all accounts last year's was a great success.

I wish it well.
Sweep