Cycle Touring Festival Clitheroe

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
geocycle

Re: Cycle Touring Festival Clitheroe

Post by geocycle »

Bentham in yorkshire must be only 10-15 miles of the west coast! BTW I'm a yorkie doing 'missionary' work on Lancashire...

I've no idea of the route of the TdY but if it headed say skipton way then clitheroe would be very close.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

TimMoss10 wrote:Hello all,

I'm Laura and I'm organising the festival, together with Tom Allen and a couple of others. More details will be announced very soon and tickets should go on sale at the end of January.

Glad people are excited about it, I am!

Please do sign up to the newsletter if you're thinking of coming (sign up at http://cycletouringfestival.co.uk/)

If there's anything you want to see there, let me know.

Thanks,

Laura

Hi Laura & Tom. Although I'm new to cycle touring I'm not new to the outdoors, challenging pursuits and remote, unsupported travel. I'm not sure what to suggest. I do music festivals. And beer and cider festivals and I've been to a few 'Wilderness Gatherings' which is a bushcraft orientated trade show run over a few days. Camping is available as are hands on workshops, storytelling, a beer tent, a tea & cake tent and then loads of retailers either advertising or flogging their wares. Music and beer in the evening.

Perhaps you could do a similar thing? Retailers with demo bikes, accessories for sale etc? Wheel building or bike mechanic 'master classes'? Will there be camping on site/nearby? Talks and slide shows from cycle tourists or authors? I'm from Somerset so perhaps you could have a rep from the local tourism info centre? Food and drink? Could you have a local theme?

I'm hoping to come along as I've never been to Yorkshire. Exciting. Best of luck...hc
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

geocycle wrote:Bentham in yorkshire must be only 10-15 miles of the west coast! BTW I'm a yorkie doing 'missionary' work on Lancashire...

I've no idea of the route of the TdY but if it headed say skipton way then clitheroe would be very close.

Yeah, It was the Bentham area I meant when I said shockingly close to Lancaster. Definitely too close for comfort :) Don't think Lancashire gets within 50 miles of York!

Sweep wrote:I trust there are no furtive yorkshire plans to reclaim territory.

Heltor Chasca wrote:I'm hoping to come along as I've never been to Yorkshire.

It's started! :o

In all seriousness, I share HC's sentiment. It would be great to have a cycle even like this in this country and especially so in Lancashire :wink: . The Ribble Valley and nearby Bowland area are lovely and often overlooked cycling country. It would indeed be great if the Tour goes somewhere nearby. Fingers crossed the event establishes itself and becomes a part of the calendar.
gplhl

Post by gplhl »

Heltor Chasca wrote:
I'm hoping to come along as I've never been to Yorkshire. Exciting. Best of luck...hc

Heltor, you riding up? I should be riding up from Wiltshire, wild camping on the way.

Gary
www.longbikeride.co.uk
Heltor Chasca

Cycle Touring Festival Clitheroe

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Hi Gary. I'm probably not going to be bike-fit unless I pull my finger out. So long as work etc pans out ok (self employed gardener) I should be able to leave on Friday? Lift share if you are feeling lazy?

I like your blog btw. I spent 20+ years in Southern Africa. I did some decent, unsupported hiking in the Chimanimani mountains and Pungwe valley (Moçambique/Zimbabwe) Stunning. Kind regards, Blair.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Just as a little addition: Will it be a suitable festival for children? Depending on 'family logistics' I may be including my 5 and 12 year old daughters into this holiday. Both love bikes...hc
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

geocycle wrote:Tour de yorkshire is 1-3 may , so might be a chance to double up. The TdY routes are not announced yet but could get within striking distance of clitheroe.

from the stage towns announced it looks like they are missing the Dales out in favour of east Yorkshire this year with just one Pennine stage that looks set to cover a chunk of Stage 2 of the '14 Grand Depart. Routes should be announced this coming Wednesday.

http://letour.yorkshire.com/
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Ps - not sure what that pic is of.

A rally of middle aged hells angels?
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Er, tell laura i have a question forher

I have a question about the event.

But a problem..

The contact form on the web site appears to say it is for folk with suggestions etc who want to get involved, not punters/visitors.

Laura who is on this thread (oddly with a guy's name) cannot be send pms, maybe because s/he has only posted once.

Contact point please.
Sweep
TimMoss10

Post by TimMoss10 »

Sweep - just an anomaly. We're organising this event as volunteers around normal work so anomalies like that do occasionally slip through and your patience would be appreciated (if it matters, the logo is in the process of being updated so they match).

In any event, the comment above is correct - most things will happen on 2/3 but your ticket includes camping on Friday 1 May and Saturday 2 May - there will be a couple of talks on the Friday night but most stuff will be on Sat/Sun. And yes, there will be an option to stay on the Sunday too.

Laura
TimMoss10

Post by TimMoss10 »

sorry just saw your other question Sweep - email me at laura@thenextchallenge.org (contact form through the website gets sent to that address too so you could have used that). I'm logged in to my husband's account as was having problems logging in to my own.

people are welcome to bring kids to the festival.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Many thanks for the replies.

My direct mail seemed to get through as well.

Looks like a great event.

And the perfect location of course :)

All the best.
Sweep
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I received an email update concerning the festival the other day. This is part of it...

How much are tickets?

Early bird tickets will cost £75 for the weekend. This includes: •Two nights basic camping accommodation
•Lunches on Saturday and Sunday; dinner on Saturday
•Access to all talks and workshops

£75 is the price for the discounted limited number early booked tickets as I understand it.

So that's me priced out of it :(
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Vantage wrote:I received an email update concerning the festival the other day. This is part of it...

How much are tickets?

Early bird tickets will cost £75 for the weekend. This includes: •Two nights basic camping accommodation
•Lunches on Saturday and Sunday; dinner on Saturday
•Access to all talks and workshops

£75 is the price for the discounted limited number early booked tickets as I understand it.

So that's me priced out of it :(

Not surprised you won't be going at that price. :shock:
I think that will put off a lot of cyclists.
I pay £25 for 3 nights camping including 2 nights entertainment at our national motorcycle event.
What is it that warrants £75?
You'll never know if you don't try it.