Single Speed Freewheel Day Trips

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
fatmac

Single Speed Freewheel Day Trips

Post by fatmac »

Although I have titled it day trips, multi day rides also accepted. :)

I'm thinking of returning to S/Spd cycling again.
I used to ride around Kent, Surrey, & Sussex, with occassional trips to Essex & Herts, (about 20 years ago now).
Just wondering how many others ride single speed freewheel bikes, & what you get up to, areas you ride, mileages you cover, that sort of thing.
Also, it would be nice to see pictures of your bikes.
Linux since 1999
Si

Re: Single Speed Freewheel Day Trips

Post by Si »

Mine I normally go up to around 70 miles on (which is my normal limit on a multi geared bike as well these days), riding out from Birmingham across the gently rolling bits of south staffs and north warcs.

Also use it for club runs as it's faster than my multi geared bikes.

It is a 653 race frame with race blade mud guards and a carradice large saddle bag so it's sort of audaxy by nature. Used to have drops but now fitted with flats due t neck injury.

I find that I enjoy the simple, faff free ride of it.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I used to use single freewheel over fifty years ago. With my aged legs I haven't the strength for the climbs.
I think it's a good idea in the winter with all the muck on the roads - if you are up to it :(
barrym

Post by barrym »

I don't ride a SS (yet), but do yearn for that simplicity. I wondered what sort of gearing you all pull. I was talking to a guy from a shop in Wells a while back and he rides 70" <gulp>. I'd have to push it everywhere except for down hill:-(

Cheers
Barry
--
Cheers
Barry
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I dont think I would get very far but I would like a try must be cheap on chains etc. Maybe a compromise - 2 speed at the front a normal and a granny ring?
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

I've got a Specialized Tricross Single, same as being sold in the classifieds but a bigger frame. Decorated it with RoadRacer guards & Tortec Velocity Hybrid rack and running on Conti 25c GP4Seasons tyres. I use it daily for the commute in all weathers and 10" deep water :shock: The daily mileage is a little over 20 miles but have gone as far as 50 miles on a day trip. Some hills are a struggle but rather than grinding up as I would on my geared bike I find it best to attack the steeper hills and hope for the best.
It is faster than my geared bike, upto 5 minutes on the 10 mile commute home. As soon as I clock out at work I'm on my time so ride home fast, when I leave home for work I see it as being on work time as soon as I close the front door so don't rush to work.
Si

Post by Si »

barrym wrote:I don't ride a SS (yet), but do yearn for that simplicity. I wondered what sort of gearing you all pull. I was talking to a guy from a shop in Wells a while back and he rides 70" <gulp>. I'd have to push it everywhere except for down hill:-(

Cheers
Barry

Around here - gentle to moderately rolling midland countryside - I use a 66 on the road SS (ditto on the fixie) and about 54 on the MTB. I think that 66 is pretty low (remember you can't really compare directly with the same gear on a geared bike) but I find it comfie and stress free. I've friends who ride in the high 80s quite happily.....they are chaingangy types though.
barrym

Post by barrym »

Si wrote:
Around here - gentle to moderately rolling midland countryside - I use a 66 on the road SS (ditto on the fixie) and about 54 on the MTB. I think that 66 is pretty low (remember you can't really compare directly with the same gear on a geared bike) but I find it comfie and stress free. I've friends who ride in the high 80s quite happily.....they are chaingangy types though.

I often ride my 1x7 in a single gear just to see. I use either 3rd (50") or 4th (60"). In 3rd I can get pretty much anywhere but obviously spin out very quickly, in 4th I find quite modest inclines too much, and still do spin out just not as quickly.

Why can't you compare with a geared bike?

What are chaingangy types? I suspecting they are young fit dudes, not a sick old man like me :(
--
Cheers
Barry
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

Si wrote:

I use 90 on mine and I certainly don't think I'm chaingangy. That said it is usually just for my commute,and I only cross the 10m contour line twice in my 8 mile trip (and one of those is going back down)
Si

Post by Si »

barrym wrote:
Si wrote:

I often ride my 1x7 in a single gear just to see. I use either 3rd (50") or 4th (60"). In 3rd I can get pretty much anywhere but obviously spin out very quickly, in 4th I find quite modest inclines too much, and still do spin out just not as quickly.

Why can't you compare with a geared bike?

What are chaingangy types? I suspecting they are young fit dudes, not a sick old man like me :(

You'll find that the same gear on a SS as on a multi geared is a lot easier on the SS - you'll not have the chain going all the way around those horrible jockey wheels and you'll often have a straighter chain line too.

Yep, chaingangy = fit, although not necessarily young or dudes.
andy65

Post by andy65 »

When I lived in Worcestershire I used to ride on fixed all time, including audax rides up to 200k. Very little in the way of flat riding around there. Now that I live in the lakes the fixed bike hardly ever comes out because it's just too steep.
ianpallen

Post by ianpallen »

This is what I am thinking of doing to my bike. Single speed, but at my age and unfitness state (and weight. lol) I dont know what gearing would suit me. Years ago in the 70's, a single speed was like 2nd gear of a sturmey archer 3 speed. But back then, I was fitter, younger and a hell of a lot lighter. lol
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

I'm in a rather hilly part on the Surrey/Hants border, approx 2 mile drop/climb of 300m to anywhere from/to home, I find I have to walk back up, not because I care about walking, but it is quite tiring at the end of a ride, but I do like S/Spd riding.
I am fairly old, 64, fat & unfit now, having been unable to ride for a while owing to injuries, but I want to get back out, but not over do it, so was asking to see if I was being over ambitious.
I have a nice Felt with a 60" gear that is just about right for me, so will put up with walking that big hill back to home. :)
Linux since 1999
TimP

Post by TimP »

With modern gear changers being so easy to use these days (changers in the brake levers) I no longer feel interested in single speed. As a teen many decades ago I used to go fixed wheel in winter but for 3 decades haven't lived anywhere that has a winter, so I prefer to stick with gears. In tropical heat I find you need to be always in the right gear or overheat very fast.