UK - Greece (Athens)

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
wheelbarrowman

UK - Greece (Athens)

Post by wheelbarrowman »

I'm thinking of riding to Greece, ending up probably in Athens.
I'd want to travel light and fast, probably on my road bike.

My ideal route is my:

my house - portsmouth - le havre - the alps - dalmation coast - albania + mix of big greek mountains and coastline.

Mid summer its probably going to be red hot, so spring or autumn?

What is Albania like for riding?

Mountains in Greece - I've google-streetviewed some roads - it looks very promising! - any pointers?

Any tips for routes, places to avoid along the dalmation coast?

I've heard that sometimes there is a strong seasonal wind that would be blowing the wrong way up the dalmation coast in spring time?
Last edited by wheelbarrowman on 26 Nov 2014, 5:17pm, edited 1 time in total.
iviehoff

Re: UK - Greece (Athens)

Post by iviehoff »

I'd think the ideal timing would be to set off in late summer so it was autumnal as you did the Med bit. Though if you don't mind being a bit chilly from time to time at the N end, do it in the Spring. Though one issue to bear in mind is that Med weather is only reliably dry in the summer, the rest of the year heavy rain tends to occur from time to time, albeit with lots of sunshine in between.

It's really up to you whether you can cope with riding in the summer heat in the Med. All I know is that I had a meeting in Athens one August, and being outside was significantly worse than being in Kuala Lumpur. It doesn't surprise me that Paula Radcliffe collapsed trying to run the marathon there.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

wheelbarrowman wrote:Mountains in Greece - I've google-streetviewed some roads - it looks very promising! - any pointers?

It's true, mountainous Greece is excellent cycling. But get the better quality maps. The cheaper maps have too much fiction in their depiction of the road system. There's quite a few unpaved roads in the mountains that extend the adventure if you like that kind of thing. But if you get the decent maps, they are actually better than Italian or Portuguese maps.
wheelbarrowman

Post by wheelbarrowman »

thanks for the reply. i agree Italian maps are hopeless!

I want to do this ride next year, and I think now having read up a bit more the Autumn looks like the time to go.

I think 4 weeks would be ideal time. I might have to squeeze it into 3. hmmm
smith4188

Post by smith4188 »

I cycled through Greece towards the end of June. It was very hot but doable. Also, don't underestimate the wind.

Albania is good fun. The road surfaces, on the main roads at least, are not as bad as they used to be. Some of the country's main roads are not very main at all but with lots of traffic. And it's nice 'n' cheap.

Have a good trip!
http://www.EuropeByBicycle.com - Country-by-country touring info for 54 European nations and disputed regions