My worst tour, and why..

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ANTONISH

Re: My worst tour, and why..

Post by ANTONISH »

Surely the saving aspect of a bad tour is the grim satisfaction you get from looking back at it.
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

I agree. They're the ones you remember best...
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I think you call it "Character building" afterwards but it can be "Soul destroying" when it happens ...... :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Worst one for me was a few years ago. I called it The Two Daughter's Tour.
I was off from Cornwall to Manchester to Daughter One, then down to Bedford to Daughter Two, then home. I had planned on a bit of touring in Wales heading north, then the Peak District heading south, then a bit of Dorset and Somerset on my way home.

I made it about 75miles when a wheel came off my trailer. :lol:
Basically, I managed to cobble it back together and carried on, but before I'd reached Bristol, the other wheel started to come off. :lol: :lol: :lol:
At that point, I headed home without the trailer, and drove up to collect it a day or so later.

Fixed properly now. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

Mick F wrote:Worst one for me was a few years ago. I called it The Two Daughter's Tour.
I was off from Cornwall to Manchester to Daughter One, then down to Bedford to Daughter Two, then home. I had planned on a bit of touring in Wales heading north, then the Peak District heading south, then a bit of Dorset and Somerset on my way home.

I made it about 75miles when a wheel came off my trailer. :lol:
Basically, I managed to cobble it back together and carried on, but before I'd reached Bristol, the other wheel started to come off. :lol: :lol: :lol:
At that point, I headed home without the trailer, and drove up to collect it a day or so later.

Fixed properly now. :D

That was wheely bad Mick!
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

I was on a tour once with my lady wife and another couple. In Spain..

We separated in the morning and met up for lunch. He was in the process of fixing his NINTH puncture of the day. He couldn't understand what was puncturing his tube. I examined it with my eagle eye and spotted a tiny section of bare wire in the bead which I covered with canvas and fixed the problem.
It was a good tour but a very bad morning for him!
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Back in the mid 80s my ex and I cycled from Yorkshire up to Arran. It rained almost the entire time but reached a crescendo as we were heading back towards Carlisle with torrential rain all day. We were flat broke so camping was our only option. We couldn't find a suitable wild camping spot so I knocked on the door of a farmhouse and asked if they had anywhere we could camp. They were very friendly and suggested we put our tent under the shelter of a nearby open sided barn. This seemed a great idea but when we came to pitch the tent we realised that the barn had a concrete floor and it was not a free standing tent. All attempts to tie it to rocks etc failed dismally (it was an Ultimate Packer if anyone remembers such things). The land around the barn was a complete quagmire, there was no chance of pitching there. We ended up spending the night in the back of a manky old scrap car in the corner of a muddy field. Definitely my worst ever night on a cycle tour!
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.