Bike fit for French canals

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Appleman

Bike fit for French canals

Post by Appleman »

We have cycled on tarmac in France, a few times, but intend to holiday, primarily, on the canal tow-paths next year. Can I get away with my Dawes Audax and some larger tyres or do I need something more robust for this trip? Any advice would be much appreciated.
davetb

Re: Bike fit for French canals

Post by davetb »

Chris and I used Specialized Tricross triple with touring tyres 32c. We found the tow paths to be do able but not very comfortable so came off them as much as pos. Some of the areas also use rather sharp chips which get embedded in the rubber (we only had one puncture though) so a kevlar (as we had) backing is good or special puncture proof tyres
Obviously some canals like the Gironde have good towpaths and are tarmaced, so if you can find out in advance

Have a good trip Dave
jake

Post by jake »

I did most of the Burgundy canal in May on my Ti tourer with 32 Marathons. No punctures and comfortable ride.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

I cycled most of the Nantes-Brest canal a few years on a Tricross, friend was on a Bob Jackson Audax. Only problem I had was boredom. Although very scenic it soon becomes monotonous
'Kernow bys Vyken'
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Swallow wrote:Although very scenic it soon becomes monotonous
A common observation - most people seem to to think 2 or 3 days can be endured before the old ennui sets in...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Tyres: Depends which part of France. Over our way we have smooth tarmac.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Nantes Breste was pretty rough in places, very bumpy and made me saddle sore after 3 days. It was also quite boring. Same with some of the Voies Vertes which are even more boring.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Christiian

Post by Christiian »

Bordeaux (rather Langon) to Toulouse is a great surface most of the way and you'll be fine on audax bikes and 32mm tyres. Toulouse to Sete is pretty but can be really rough in places: there are long sections where you would even want to be on a hardtail(which I've also done, and still lost a pannier going over a particularly large root).

That said, some of the adjacent roads are very quiet and just as pretty so you should always consider that option. Definitely agree with another poster about the ennui. The first two days you'll be charmed by the lock-keepers cottages and waving at the pleasure boats, bear in mind that many of the beautiful plane trees are being chopped down so that reduces the picturesque qualities. By day 3 you may well be getting a bit bored so striking off and exploring some of the local roads will be very appealing. Enjoy the ride!
Preferred type of cycling: Yes.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I thought you were cycling IN the canals for a moment. I found nantes brest very tranquil after working in the London but I really go touring for peace and quiet and for some zen time ( not that frequent with a whingey 8 year old). Rural France isn't usually exactly zinging on the roads either- any experienced cyclist would cover nantes breast in say 3 days and then move onto something else, the 8 year old was somewhat slower but didn't compain about the scenery. My kona Dr dew was fine with the surface which was quite mixed. Any tourer should be ok.
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

Yes it very much depends on the canal in question. Where are you thinking of going?

Christiian wrote:Bordeaux (rather Langon) to Toulouse is a great surface most of the way and you'll be fine on audax bikes and 32mm tyres. Toulouse to Sete is pretty but can be really rough in places: there are long sections where you would even want to be on a hardtail(which I've also done, and still lost a pannier going over a particularly large root).

Agree with this! I did the Garonne (Bordeaux to Toulouse) with 28c gatorskins with no problem whatsoever. The Midi is tarmac leaving Toulouse but then becomes a stony bumpy unpaved track - we skipped it and went on the road instead. The subsequent bits of the path we did see looked virtually unrideable on a touring bike. Even with thick tyres it will be very slow going and uncomfortable.