Brooks saddle protection

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
22camels

Brooks saddle protection

Post by 22camels »

I got a nice new Brooks saddle about nine months ago for touring and I also use the bike for getting around town every day. It rains a lot and therefore I've been buying saddle covers to stop it getting wet because I heard that leather saddles irreversibly lose their shape if you let them get wet.

The trouble is they all wear out.

I got a Brooks rain cover which is solid and is meant to be waterproof, but because I wasn't 100% sure about the latter, I got one of these http://shop.onyerbikeseat.com just in case to put over the top (i.e. two covers). Of course the latter disintegrated rapidly. But I thought the Brooks cover would last. Now I see it is also developing a small hole in the front.

I keep the cover on all the time, whether I am riding or not. Is this not what these saddle covers are designed for? Am I meant to be removing the cover every time I get on the bike? That sounds like a hassle.. And me sitting on it will keep all the rain off it even in heavy downpours? OK if it gets wet I wait for it to dry and apply proof hide, but I don't want to be doing this all the time.

Also, has anyone felt their saddle is less comfortable when covered up, than bare, or is it just my imagination?
22camels

Re: Brooks saddle protection

Post by 22camels »

To answer my own question, looking at the Brooks rain cover page http://www.brooksengland.com/catalogue- ... ain+Cover/ and reading the reviews and staff comments, Brooks do not recommend riding on the cover:

"use the cover when the bike is parked or when you absolutely must ride in a downpour, a little rain is no worry at all."…

What if I really love riding in downpours for hours at a time?
stephenjubb

Post by stephenjubb »

22camels wrote:To answer my own question, looking at the Brooks rain cover page http://www.brooksengland.com/catalogue- ... ain+Cover/ and reading the reviews and staff comments, Brooks do not recommend riding on the cover:

"use the cover when the bike is parked or when you absolutely must ride in a downpour, a little rain is no worry at all."…

A plastic supermarket bag works perfectly. stuff it under the saddle when not needed. Attracts less attention as well.
22camels

Post by 22camels »

Supermarket bags need replacing far too often.
stephenjubb

Post by stephenjubb »

22camels wrote:Supermarket bags need replacing far too often.

get a thicker one!
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

22camels wrote:What if I really love riding in downpours for hours at a time?
Wear a cape.
stephenjubb

Post by stephenjubb »

tatanab wrote:
22camels wrote:What if I really love riding in downpours for hours at a time?
Wear a cape.

an army one :D
bikerta

Post by bikerta »

On my recent JOGLE, I rode for 10 hours in pouring rain and my Brooks saddle was absolutely fine as your rear end covers the saddle (at least mine does!!) When parked up at the campsite overnight, I used a shower cap to protect the saddle and this worked well. It was no hassle at all when stopping and parking the bike during the day to take the shower cap out of the bar bag and slip it over the saddle as it is elasticated so no tying involved. The saddle is not as comfortable with a cover on because it is the 'shiny' feel to the leather that means no friction and therefore no saddle sores.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

stephenjubb wrote:
22camels wrote:To answer my own question, looking at the Brooks rain cover page http://www.brooksengland.com/catalogue- ... ain+Cover/ and reading the reviews and staff comments, Brooks do not recommend riding on the cover:

A plastic supermarket bag works perfectly. stuff it under the saddle when not needed. Attracts less attention as well.

thats what I use when parked - not for riding. no need when u are riding? also as said above conceals what some thieves would like to un bolt and sell
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Sorry [emoji15] I'll be the devil's advocate: Brook's vegan option, The C17 is the future! I love mine. Never had a better saddle...hc
Ray

Post by Ray »

I notice Spa sell a GILLES BERTHOUD Rubber Saddle Cover -
http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php ... 0s204p2824

It claims to be biodegradable, which somehow sounds slightly worrying, but I suppose that could also be said of a leather saddle itself. I knew there was more than one reason to prefer plastic :wink:
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
NickWi

Post by NickWi »

The B17 on my touring bike is now 20 years old and I've never bothered with a cover. It's been soaked when riding, soaked whilst being transported on the rack of the car and soaked when left in the open whilst camping. However I have waxed it, (at least three, maybe four times in those 20yrs). My wife's B66 is nearly as old and treated the same. As for the two leather Brookes saddles on my Tandem, they're youngsters at about 14 years old and are treated with the same care.

My point is yes use a cover for protection if you want, but in my experience none of my saddles seem to have come to any harm for lack of protection and irregular maintenance.
garybaldy

Post by garybaldy »

As Above. I had my Brooks for 17years. After the tin of proofide that came with it ran out it was never replaced. I never covered it and never looked after it. It was very comfy right up till it broke, when I replaced it with another. I treat that one with exactly the same lack of care. Its just a saddle!
22camels

Post by 22camels »

Thanks. Looks like I'm being too fussy.
anniesboy

Post by anniesboy »

I have two of these, a present from my daughter.
http://www.notonthehighstreet.com/kelly ... seat-cover