London - Istanbul. Which route?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Kernal Corn

London - Istanbul. Which route?

Post by Kernal Corn »

I'm planning to cycle to Istanbul from my home in London next Spring/Summer, have built the bike and now face the more bewildering task of picking a route. I have fat 26" semi-knobblies and relish taking off road tracks into the wilderness.

What routes have you taken and which parts did you/didn't you like?
Barrenfluffit

Re: London - Istanbul. Which route?

Post by Barrenfluffit »

With a long distance ride finding viable off road routes can be awkward. You need a decently detailed map but will tend to ride across it quite quickly. Also the right scale may not be available when you need it. Spending £10-15 per day on maps is an expensive and bulky exercise.

I might be out of date and Google maps \ technology may have caught up.

Likewise rural roads beyond Hungary may have improved hugely. But if they haven't on road conditions can be worse than a UK off road trail. It's part of the experience and travelling down through the balkans was terrific.

Choice of route starts with how you feel about hills; the flatter ways are following the rhine to pick up eurovelo6. Then follow the danube, cut across bulgaria and pick uo 100 towards Istanbul.
The fastest way is to head south over the alps, down italy to Ancona and catch the ferry to greece but the long ferry ride is kinda missing the point.

The balkans are a terrific touring experience but very hot in high summer.

The route should reflects what you want to get out of the trip. Also a search on eurovelo6 on here should throw up some hits.
Kernal Corn

Re: London - Istanbul. Which route?

Post by Kernal Corn »

Barrenfluffit wrote:With a long distance ride finding viable off road routes can be awkward. You need a decently detailed map but will tend to ride across it quite quickly. Also the right scale may not be available when you need it. Spending £10-15 per day on maps is an expensive and bulky exercise.

I might be out of date and Google maps \ technology may have caught up.

Likewise rural roads beyond Hungary may have improved hugely. But if they haven't on road conditions can be worse than a UK off road trail. It's part of the experience and travelling down through the balkans was terrific.

Choice of route starts with how you feel about hills; the flatter ways are following the rhine to pick up eurovelo6. Then follow the danube, cut across bulgaria and pick uo 100 towards Istanbul.
The fastest way is to head south over the alps, down italy to Ancona and catch the ferry to greece but the long ferry ride is kinda missing the point.

The balkans are a terrific touring experience but very hot in high summer.

The route should reflects what you want to get out of the trip. Also a search on eurovelo6 on here should throw up some hits.

I will be navigating with Open Cycle Map on my phone charged via a dynamo so having to buy extra maps won't be a problem.

The eurovelo 6 does sound appealing once it joins the danube but I'm not sure whether to head due(ish) South to meet it in Bavaria or meet it later and see more of Germany, the Czech Republic and perhaps the Tara mountains in Slovakia. It would mean cheaper prices (more lavish eating), less densely populated areas (more wilderness, I think) and I would join the route as the Balkan states begin. I'll have a search of the EV6 and try to get a feel of it's sections in Bavaria, Austria and Hungary, thanks.