Eurovelo route 15 - please comment on our plans!

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
bainbridge

Eurovelo route 15 - please comment on our plans!

Post by bainbridge »

Hi

Two of us intend to ride most of this route in late spring next year. We've already booked the time off work and have 3 weeks from 13th April.

We're looking at getting a plane with our bikes to Basel and then riding northwest along the Rhine (route 15) through to Holland and either getting a plane back with our bikes from Schipol or riding on to the hook of Holland and getting a ferry back to the UK.

The only thing solid so far is our time off work has been booked. This will be my first tour outside the UK and my second ever long ride (I rode from Bodmin to Bristol in March this year and loved it).

If any of you good folks have some comments, questions or constructive criticism please do post your thoughts here. I spent a lot of time reading about the adventures people on here have had an would very much appreciate anything that is mentioned.

Thanks

Gareth
progressive

Re: Eurovelo route 15 - please comment on our plans!

Post by progressive »

Hi Gareth,

Will be watching the thread closely as I plan to do the same ride in summer 2015, with a bit tagged on beforehand. From my research (which you will have probably already found to be honest) you are doing it in the right direction, it is largely a comfortable ride and there is plenty of amenties along the route.

I would be very interested to learn more about options from accomodation, from people's experiences. Is there plenty of camping spots? Were hotels / B&Bs required.

Also, did people prefer to ride on the French or German side up and around Cologne / Dusseldorf?
bainbridge

Post by bainbridge »

Hey progressive,

Glad to hear you'll be doing this route too!

As an update, we've started with the bookings..

We'll be riding from Bristol where we live to Harwich and the ferry to Holland (arriving 16th April), stopping overnight in Newbury and London. Bristol to Newbury is 70 odd miles, Newbury to London 65ish and the longest leg will be London to Harwich at 80 miles. London to Harwich will be a long day but the ferry is an overnight one so we literally have all day to cover the 80 miles and then sleep during the crossing. The ferry is booked up both ways, we'll be staying in a Travelodge in Newbury and a hostel in London.

Once we're over on the Hook of Holland it is only 40 odd miles to Amsterdam where well probably stay for a day of rest, then head south east to get onto the Rhine route a couple of days later. We don't have to be back at the ferry port until 28th April so plenty of riding to be done on the Rhine route!
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Sounds fabulous. Don't forget warm showers as possible sleep options.
jamesxyz

Post by jamesxyz »

I'll be watching this post too. Thinking of flying to cologne, then rising north to Arnhem or further before getting ferry home as only have less than a week. Any advice re cycling out of the airport would be appreciated!