Oban to Stonehaven

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Andymc007

Oban to Stonehaven

Post by Andymc007 »

Hi All

My first post here. Just found this wealth of information and its fair to say I am chuffed.

I am fairly new to cycling and managed to enjoy every one of the 2000 miles I did this year, mainly sportives and a few solo 100 mile rides and the touring aspect really appeals.

i am planning a cycle from Oban to Stonehaven early in the spring and would really appreciate any help with the route. The stories regarding the main road near Oban scare me a bit. I was hoping there may be a few hidden gems out there or even an educated "forget it!" as its not worth it.

Thanks in advance.
stephenjubb

Re: Oban to Stonehaven

Post by stephenjubb »

The roads around Oban, not sure to which you are referring but avoid the A82 south of fort william ( not that you will be going that way ) as it is not very pleasant. The main road heading east out of Oban can get busy but nothing bad. I'm sure others will be along with more info.

"even an educated "forget it!" as its not worth it"

I can give you an educated it is worth it!! Once you fall in love with Scotland and its people and scenery on your first visit you will want to go back.

For a few gems, if you have time, try heading to Rannoch Moor ( get the train it's easier!) , that will blow you away. Whilst in Oban try some of the islands. Mull is close and awesome. Cycling around Fort William stunning scenery.

Jura is excellent if you are heading that way. As for more gems the place is overloaded with them. Best advice is go and enjoy!

Oh and watch the midges if you are ever there in summer!
Andymc007

Post by Andymc007 »

Thanks for the reply. I actually live in the North East of Scotland. Just never cycled over the West Coast side of Scotland.

When I said hidden gems I was referring to side roads or good paths to avoid the main roads etc.

andy
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Something like this is worth considering: http://cycle.travel/map/journey/9544

In brief: head towards Fort William making use of the new cycle path, then cross on the ferry to Ardgour and back again to Fort Bill. Continue up the Great Glen (usual provisos apply about track surface quality), then climb on the B roads on the east side. From there it's much easier to wend your way to Stonehaven on quiet roads than it would be direct from Oban.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
pedallingpaddler

Post by pedallingpaddler »

If you have a bike that can tackle rough tracks and paths you might consider reversing my Aberdeen-Ft William route ( http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/13830). From Oban the reasonably continuous Sustrans path goes up to Ballachulish; after that it's the busy A82 to Ft William, although you could avoid this by using the pavement to the Corran Ferry, cycle up the west side of Loch Linnhe and catch one of the (unfortunately) rather infrequent Camusnagaul ferries over to the Fort. After that it's as per my route (I used a Surly LHT with 2" tyres and it coped fine) and obviously once you get to lower Deeside you'll be able to find your own way home.

Good luck!

Tony