Routes on small roads near Calais

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Bald_Old_Git

Routes on small roads near Calais

Post by Bald_Old_Git »

Can anyone suggest some websites offering circular routes (day rides) in the Calais/ Boulogne area? French maps are in general less detailed than OS ones and I'm finding it hard going. Thanks!
andy D

Re: Routes on small roads near Calais

Post by andy D »

I invested in the Michelin local map, number 301, for the Pas de Calais and Somme and found it good enough ( with the added assistance of Google Earth ) to plan rides in that area. If you want to take part in a local event you can also check the calendar on the FFCT website as the local cubs run events from throughout the year. For me the one organised in June by http://cccalais.blogspot.co.uk/always fits the bill as I can catch an early ferry, turn up and pay next to nothing for a signposted 100k in the French countryside. They normally have feedstations en route and they also have shorter routes. Better still there is always a beer and baguette at the finish. Don't worry about any language barriers, the members are a very friendly bunch, There is also one organised by a club in St.Omer in September which follows the same style but is a much bigger event with a longer route and even more riders. With the knowledge that I have got from those rides I can now catch a ferry, land in Calais and just head inland with a rough idea of where I want to go. With a map you will be able to find your way round fairly easily and not have to worry too much about getting lost. The local SPOKES group for South East Kent also organise a ride each year which follows the canal from Calais out to Ardres for lunch and then back in time for a late afternoon ferry. Most of that route is traffic free and very flat.. If my memory is correct there are also some routes posted on openrunner.com.
Bald_Old_Git

Post by Bald_Old_Git »

Thanks Andy. Really helpful. Thank you very much for your practical suggestions!! :D
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

IGN TOP100 series at 1:100,000 are very good maps, certainly on par with OS unless you want to spend all your time on MTB trails. http://www.themapcentre.com/ign-101--li ... e-34-p.asp
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I used to ride the CC Calais (something like "route de champ du drap d'or" which was in early June).
After their President died it didn't run for a couple of years and was then rerun on a different date as "Souvenir Maurice Poiret". Perhaps it's returned to its original early june date?
You can ride a number of randonees in the Nord-Pas de Calais region. There are details on the ffct.org website - it's in French and takes a bit of searching - you need to look for randonees.
" Sur les Traces de Napoleon" from Le Portel in Boulogne is a nice ride in the Artois hills with a choice of distances. It's run by the Amicale St Joseph - a very friendly club, on the first Sunday in May.