Gibraltar - Perpignan (France) through Sierra Nevada

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
looserlama

Gibraltar - Perpignan (France) through Sierra Nevada

Post by looserlama »

Hi!

I'm organizing a bike trip across Europe this summer and the first leg of my trip will be going from Gibraltar to the south of France (probably around Perpignan).
1. Do you have any route suggestions?

I've found a route that seems nice, going up to Malaga, then over to Guadix in the Sierra Nevada, then up to Cuenca and over to Girona (then north to France). Unfortunately all the websites I can find about it are in Dutch. The route is called the "Andalusia Route" on Cycling Unlimited (http://www.cyclingeurope.nl/routes/andalusie/index.php).
2. Has anyone done this route or parts of this route before? How was it?
3. Do you know of any good maps or guides for this route? (Ideally in english or french)

I'm thinking of using GPS tracks, but I think I would still like some hard copies of maps just in case. I'm sure there are other resources out there that I haven't considered though, I'm pretty new to all this.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!
smith4188

Re: Gibraltar - Perpignan (France) through Sierra Nevada

Post by smith4188 »

The route on the map on the Dutch site starts in Cadiz, which I imagine would be a better starting point (Gibraltar is a toilet). But if you have to start from Gib then I'd avoid the main coast road to Malaga. It's a fast dual carriageway and even though I've seen cyclists on it, it looked terrifying. Better would be to aim directly for Ronda, which is one of the places of the Dutch route anyway.

Also, if you follow that route then you aren't going to be doing the Sierra Nevada (once out of Granada you'll be going north of it). If you want to do the Sierra Nevada properly (and it's worth it), you could drop into Malaga after Ronda, continue along the coast (the coast road isn't too busy east of Malaga) as far as Motril, turn inland to Velez de Benaudalla and then have a nice play in the beautiful mountains.

I also seem to remember the countryside north of Cuenca was great too, although I was a bit farther west than your route.

Have a good trip!
http://www.EuropeByBicycle.com - Country-by-country touring info for 54 European nations and disputed regions
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Yes, the road between Algeciras and Malaga is horrendous. And for most of the way there's no alternative back road.
horizon

Post by horizon »

The attachment overzichtskaart.jpg is no longer available

Here's an extract from the site courtesy of Google Translate. It looks like a great route (they're right about Teruel) so it may be worth persevering with it:

Description guidebook with cycle route to Andalusia

The Andalusia-route runs from Girona in Catalonia to the Imperial Cities in Andalusia. The route takes about 1700 km through the interior of Spain and allows the cyclist to meet with a virtually unknown but beautiful part of Spain. Inland Catalonia is green, with forests and vineyards, but also with charming towns and beautiful monasteries. The more you go south, the rougher the landscape. A railway bed, complete with (illuminated) tunnels and bridges, bike your way to the Maestrazgo. Geëerodeerde mountains where vultures circling above. Villages like eagle nests are on mountaintops. The further south you take the Moorish influence in the towns. Teruel and Cuenca are wonderful examples

Unfortunately you miss out the coast, Cabo de gata and Valencia.
Attachments
overzichtskaart.jpg
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Whilst you're in Gib, make sure you ride up the Rock.

I did it first with a 3sp SA Raleigh, then some years later on my Mercian. I found it difficult coming back down as my arms were aching from braking so hard. Up the hills - some of them 1in3 - was hard enough but worth it.
Mick F. Cornwall
southerly

Post by southerly »

looserlama,
I used to live in Guadix and the heat in summer away from the coast is killing heat, a completely different climate to the Med coast. I doubt that you would find it at all enjoyable. Temperatures will almost certainly be in the high 30s C and can get as high as 45C around Guadix. Best times to go are the Spring - March/April or end of September/October. The very best time is winter, you may get some heavy rain but most of the time the air is like Champagne and most of the time it will be crisp and dry - perfect cycling weather.

Look at the map supplied by horizon it is the best route, stay right away from the coast - it is deadly with lots of crazy and drunk drivers. Jaen province is nothing but olive trees but Jaen itself is well worth a visit. Granada is my favourite city anywhere - in Granada anything is possible :wink: I have some good friends from there. Do not stay in the city centre or you will not sleep with the noise, this applies to all Spanish cities. Along the Ruta Nacionales you will find very cheap 3 star hotels and it is well worth looking for accomodation just off the RNs - sign posts will tell you where to go and of course you will sleep much better.

Someone suggested the Alpujarras - if you must ignore my advice and go in summer the Alpujarras will seem like paradise but at the altitude be very aware of the sun. If you choose to go from Granada to Guadix the scenery is spectacular but you will have to travel on old abandoned roads and paths as the only direct route to Guadix is an Autoroute and bikes are banned. Granada is my favourite city anywhere but I have friends so know where to go. There is a very good Vegan takeaway there called 'The Piano' and an excellent Chinese restaurant called the 'House of Wu' on the San Juan de Dias. Sadly most restaurants in Spain today serve only carne y frite /meat and chips in one form or another.

If you choose the Alpujarra route you will have to backtrack to Guadix anyway as it is Autoroute all the way to Almeria. The back road way will take you to Cazorla, this whole way is excellent but stay away from resorts as accomodation will be expensive.

You will find that Spain effectively has only Autoroutes and Ruta Nacionales there are virtually no terciary roads at all but worry not. The RNs all have a demarcated section for mopeds and Cycles and Spanish drivers when not drunk are very considerate of those on two wheels.

Be careful when you get to Cataluyna as traffic will be very heavy it will be possible to sidetrack Barcelona, if you must go via there be very careful of thieves, this is no joke.

Buana ruta.
southerly

Post by southerly »

Looserama,
I should have loked more closely I see the route outlined misses Barcelona - a good idea but from Girona north the route will be very busy all the way to Bezier. You could detour via Llieda, a longer route but much less crowded and this way you could visit the re-constructed city of Carcassone and from there much less crowded roads to Bezier.
looserlama

Post by looserlama »

Hi everyone! Thanks so much for all your replies!

smith4188: Unfortunately we will definitely be starting in Gib. But I think going directly up to Ronda would be better than going through Malaga. About the Sierra Nevada: I had just heard that biking through it was amazing, but quite frankly this is actually just the first leg of a huge trip that will have us ending by biking along the fjords in Norway. So I think we'll get our fair share of impressive mountains, which makes me think that going north directly after Grenada might be a better option. Thanks a lot for your input!

horizon: that's exactly the route I was interested in! I think it looks pretty awesome, and would give a much more "real" spanish experience than going along the coast. Thanks!

Mick F: I will definitely do that! Thanks for the idea!

southerly: We will be starting at the beginning of May, and leaving Spain hopefully at the beginning of June. A bit over a month for this is reasonable estimate, right? I realize that it will be rather hot then, but not as bad as in July or August I'm hoping. Unfortunately I can't really change that. Maybe starting to bike in the afternoon (that way it just gets cooler as we go throughout the day) will help with the temperature?

What do you think is more worthwhile to visit: Jaen or Grenada? Because there's no way we can make it to both. Personally I was pretty interested in Grenada, but I would love hear what you think (or anyone for that matter!).

If we do go to Grenada, I don't think we'll continue to Guadix, if those are the road options. Probably better to just go north from Grenada. Unfortunately I don't think we'll make it to the Sierra Nevada or Alpujarras.

We will definitely be avoiding Barcelona (I've already been there, plus it doesn't seem anywhere near as bike-friendly as most other places in Spain).

About going up from Girona: I was thinking of biking along the coast, starting in the Cap de Creus area, to try and avoid the crowded roads. Do you think that would work, or not?

Again thanks so much for your input!
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

looserlama wrote:If we do go to Grenada, I don't think we'll continue to Guadix, if those are the road options

Granada to Guadix is OK.
Leave Granada towards the Sierra Nevada, and turn off just before Pinos Genil, following the minor roads though to La Peza and Purullena. Very little traffic once you've escaped from Granada.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

looserlama wrote:Mick F: I will definitely do that! Thanks for the idea!
Having spent many years in the Royal Navy, I was in Gib loadsa times, and as I often took a bike with me on ships, Gibraltar has been completely covered by me. :D

As I was in the RN, I could go through the tunnel under the Rock from the dockyard to the east side, then turn north round North Front and back. I'm not sure whether the tunnel is open to the public nowadays, but if it is, it's highly recommended.

To ride up to the top, leave the town to the south and go past the cable car station and head out past The Rock Hotel and zig zag to St Michael's Cave, and turn sharp left and see a wall of a hill! :shock: It's probably 1in3, and as you struggle up, you'll see iron rings fitted into the rock face where the cannon was hoisted up manually by block and tackle.

A couple of zig-zags will get you near the top but if you turn right there and go up higher it's a dead end at the transmitter station. Instead of turning right, go straight on for a small downhill section, then up again to the restaurant and cable car station at the top. Pause once or twice up there to look down to the east down a VERY steep escarpment. :shock:

On your way back down, head north from the restaurant and zig zag down past North Front overlooking the airport and gun emplacements, and watch the rock apes. Do not touch them! Especially the babies! You'll be beaten to death by the adults, they take no prisoners! You have been warned! :lol:

Eventually, you'll be back down in the town, and your arms will be aching from all the braking.

Enjoy! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
southerly

Post by southerly »

looserlama,
It's way better start the trip in May but it will still be hot. Worse time to start riding is in the afternoon - remember you are riding a 'continental climate' which is very different from the Med one, the afternnon is always the hottest time! From Granada which is definately worth a visit (check out the restaurants I mentioned) you will be riding at altitude. Granada - Guadix - at one point it is 1200M, Guadix is at 900M. As you will be riding this section on quiet roads if you have good lighting start as early as possible between 4-6AM it can be very chilly but great to be on the road. Lots of traffic in Granada so the earlier the start the better.

Andrew_s mentioned Purullena. IMO it is a mistake not to deviate on a road trip. So, at Purullena think seriously about taking a right turn and follow the signs for Lugros. This is an amazing canyon route and you will think your in northern Europe. You go up and up via hairpin bends until you reach the top of the canyon, the road is straight from there but take a right into Policar and stop for a beer at the only bar there. Say 'greetings from Guillermo of Guadix for me'. carry onto Lugros, there's a great little bar there with excellent tapas and the only outsiders to visit are Spanish relatives of the locals. If you want to experience one of only 3 alternative energy hotels in Europe (there maybe more now) check out 'The Patio de Lugros' on line.
This would be a great place to end the day as hotels in Guadix are'nt good and it's noisy. Total peace and quiet, something you will remember for sure.

The pool should be in operation then and you will get a very good meal there in the evening - the air is so clean. Only take a coffee in the morning and take another virtually unused road down to Guadix passing through the renowned cave house barrio (best housing in Spain). When you get into the centre ask for the Calatrava and have a tostado tomate entero a fantastic breakfast of a toasted long roll cut longways, which you coat in olive oil and spread with blended tomato and ask for a 'cafe fuerte'.This breakfast is unique to Andalucia and you will never find a better example of this anywhere else - it will set you up for the day. The atmosphere is great and please say hello from Guillermo and Angelita to Jose and Anna who run the place.

I would'nt have been banging on about this area if it was'nt so untypical of much of Andalucia now, sadly full of expats elsewhere, hyped up and overpriced (Ronda is a classic example)- this is the real Spain. Ask for the Avenida Buenos Aires and head up to the station the signposting will take you by back roads in the direction of Cazorla - great cycling, none very hard with fantastic views. Look for hotels off the main drag and 3 star does'nt mean expensive away from the coast.

I would stay well away from the coast past Barcelona all roads are busy, your choice. The Lot valley will be an enjoyable cool ride but should you choose to go north via the Aveyron in the direction of Rodez RN88 use the PM or email me and I know a great restaurant where we could meet up for a damn good lunch and a chinwag. It is also a hotel and is cheap being away form the big town and as the new section of the RN 88 bypasses it from May it will be peaceful. Happy trails.
looserlama

Post by looserlama »

Hi again!

Just wanted to thank all of you for all your help! I feel much more confident about my route now.

Andrew_s & southerly: By the sounds of it, biking over to Purullena & Lugros would be quite worth it. I would love to do it, it'll just depend on how much time we have I guess. But it definitely sounds like an amazing place to see, and I would love to experience real spain! Thanks so much for the advice!

Mick F: That's some great advice, and sounds pretty spectacular! Thanks for the tips!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Great! :D
Enjoy your trip, and let us know how you got on.
Mick F. Cornwall