panniers panniers panniers???

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Sweep

Re: panniers panniers panniers???

Post by Sweep »

Point taken pj and foxy.

My alturas are used for round town not touring (they are small) and i find the fitting very good for that - they may possibly be more of a faff on tour, where until now i have used the ortlieb backpackers.

I think i was thinking of the dreaded ortlieb loose insert thing which has never been a problem with the R&K fittings. Have never bust anything and the attachment to the rack also seems more solid. Once or twice the bottom hook on my ortliebs has managed to bend/flip off the rack strutt.

But as i say i have never had to get them on and off a rack with a ton of stuff on the top.

All the best folks
Sweep
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

foxyrider wrote:
bogmyrtle wrote:If I was looking for panniers again I would look for something with pockets. I curse the pocketless Ortliebs I have every time I use them.

well fit some pockets to them then - Ortlieb do two sizes which are fully waterproof and removable for when you don't need them.

The next most irritating thing about Ortliebs are the roll tops. The add on pockets have roll tops. I won't be using them.
Ortliebs have their fans. I doubt I will ever be one of them.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
neil ry

Post by neil ry »

I never even considered altura's. my tours going to be mostly U.K and Europe, possibly Morrocco one day. .
Carradice I like the outer pockets so I not goin in and out my panniers allday. .with this kind of touring I shouldn't be hittin monsoon..just the good old English rain fall.
I'm in the process of fixing my hybrid up so shall be ready for touring early next year.
Thank you all for helpful words.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Spend a hundred plus quid on some fancy new panniers then punch a couple of holes in them cos they haven't got rear pockets! Anyone got a drill so I can fit another bottle cage.

Seriously, I am a Super C chap. I like the heavyweight canvas, look and wear wise. The rear pockets are very useful. At the mo, one has 3 x 500ml bottles, 2 water and one milk, wouldn't want that spilling inside my waterproof panniers. The other has odds and s's eg lube bottle, lights, plastic fork and spoon, snacks, poly bags, a banana, etc.

I agree that its a bad idea to buy cheap with idea of upgrading. Also don't buy very cheap, they will probably fall apart once you start to overloading them, like we all do. Saw some guy in NZ a while ago he bought cheap and they lasted about a week before starting to fail.

If you think about the forces that you put the panniers through, you will realise why they have to be strong. They are dead weight and be every bump is a shock to them, add speed and the forces increase greatly.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

foxyrider wrote:
bogmyrtle wrote:The next most irritating thing about Ortliebs are the roll tops. The add on pockets have roll tops. I won't be using them.
Ortliebs have their fans. I doubt I will ever be one of them.

Not sure why you should be so hateful of the roll tops, if it was a UK company i'm sure you'd have no issue but Johnny foreigner came up with it (after a very wet tour in southern England!) so all the flaps, buckles and drawstrings are clearly better...

...Of course there's always Vaude who offer an extensive range of both traditional and rolltop bags - oh i forgot, they are German too - erm Lidl bags are cheap and work okay, damn, Johnny foreigner again.

Have I missed something? I didn't see the slightest hint of xenophobia in the comments. People are entitled to have differing opinions without being portrayed as bigots. There are plenty of people touring with Lancashire bags attached to German racks mounted on Far Eastern bicycles :wink:
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

I note that Altura have "closed the gap" somewhat since I bought mine, which would, no doubt, have an effect on my choices if I were in the same position again.
I wasn't suggesting buying cheap and nasty with a view to upgrading. I was suggesting buying reputable kit at a modest price to so that the OP can get out there, have some fun, and develop an understanding of what he really wants. I find it a real downer to buy high end kit and then discover there's something I don't quite like, wish I'd gone the other way... I discovered I prefer to ride light and use a trailer!
If I was after new panniers I think I'd be looking at Ortlieb precisely because of the plastic finish - looks to me as if it might be less prone to carting filth indoors at the end of a wet day. Does it work like that?
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

cross referenceing the thread on tent - do these plastic Ortlieb panniers die after a time also?
slogfester

Post by slogfester »

I have just 'upgraded' my panniers from Altura Orkney 56/34 litres (back/front) to new Ortlieb roller plus 40/30. I've lost 20 litres capacity but have dropped c. 2 kg. That's a lot of weight. The Orkneys are huge but heavy. Mine have done 10000 km and are OK, but the back plates on the rears are getting a little floppy. I had an accident and one of the skid rubbers got sheared off when the pannier hit the road. Did its job and protected the material. But Altura were not at all interested in a repair service. Very difficult to sow back on because the inner liner is non removable. When my OH tried she unfortunately punctured the material and now one leaks a little. But everything is in plastic bags anyway.... first rule of backpacking/cyclo-touring.
The Orkneys have a pocket but you still have to unclip main pannier compartment to get to them :? Consequently, I never really used them
(My plan is to save the 20 litres by moving the tent flysheet up top to the rack and using a more compact sleeping bag and cooking equipment. So far its a plan; I have yet to do the 'stuff test'!)
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

mercalia wrote:cross referenceing the thread on tent - do these plastic Ortlieb panniers die after a time also?

Anything will die if you thrash it hard enough, but Ort classics should take more thrashing than many. You'll get your money's worth, I'd think (ditto Super Cs).

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

foxyrider wrote:
To satisfy such persons Ortlieb make their traditionally designed Bike Packer range, waterproof but not water tight complete with outside pockets (if you pack properly you shouldn't be in and out of your bags anyhow but for those less organised...)

What's the difference between waterproof and watertight?

My bikepacker pluses seem fine.

Recently returned from lidl with a large jar of olives which had broken inside.

It was like a swimming pool when i opened the bikepacker but i wouldn't have known from the outside. Seemed waterproof/tight enough to me.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Bicycler wrote:Have I missed something? I didn't see the slightest hint of xenophobia in the comments. People are entitled to have differing opinions without being portrayed as bigots. There are plenty of people touring with Lancashire bags attached to German racks mounted on Far Eastern bicycles :wink:

Neither did i spot anything xenophobic.

All very curious.
Sweep
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Sweep wrote:What's the difference between waterproof and watertight?
My bikepacker pluses seem fine.

Waterproof keeps the rain out, watertight you can throw into a pond with impunity :wink:
One of the advantages of the Ortlieb style material is that if your shopping fills the pannier with spilled fluids, you can just hose the pannier out.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks for the reply.

That confirms to me that the bikepackers are watertight.

Or as much as i ever need them to be.

Perhaps ortlieb's testing regime includes a jumbo size glass jar of olives and a load of salty water.
Sweep
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

mercalia wrote:cross referenceing the thread on tent - do these plastic Ortlieb panniers die after a time also?

I don't really remember when I got my Front Rollers, but they have the pre-1998 straps, and are of riveted construction rather than the current screwed together construction. Still going strong, and still properly waterproof.
Repairs so far are that 3 of the 4 end hook rail rivets have popped and been replaced by screws, and that protruding rack bolts ate holes in the backs, which I fixed by gluing patches over (after having file the bolts down).
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

On the longevity thing, I think my current Super Cs are about 5 years old. As I tour for about 5 mths every year (winters in Asia, Oz, etc) they have probably done about 25 month's touring and about 25,000kms I guess. Sometimes very rough, sometimes not. Plus a few camping tours nearer home.

So far nothing has needed to be replaced. Their is a small hole due to wear from rack, which I should have fixed before it wore through. Otherwise no problems.

Not 100% waterproof, but I try to avoid riding in rain. Forced to 2 days ago, very heavy for 4 hours and only slight dampness on inside. Use stout linings so no problem for my gear. Anyway, I like their breathability as I am mostly in hot climates, so can put up with not 100% waterproof.

They do look a bit grubby!

Considering a wash and reproofing at end of (my) touring season.

Still use my 25 year old ones for shopping and leisure. Got fed up repairing them, which being canvas, you can do almost ad infinitum.