panniers panniers panniers???

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
bikepacker

Re: panniers panniers panniers???

Post by bikepacker »

Most of the pannier threads end up being an argument of preference, mainly between Ortlieb and Carradice. Fourteen years ago I swopped my Carradice for Ortliebs after all my gear got soaked (I know all the could have put it in plastic bag replies so don't bother) and would no longer use anything else. Where some posters get bikepackers are not waterproof from I will never know. I tour for around 5 months of the year and have been in some of the most torrential rain known (I was near the Tormalet when it got washed away last year) yet not the slightest hint of a leak.

If you want to see my set up and gear list look on my website.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
Jughead

Post by Jughead »

I got the biggest Altura's and have used them for 5+ years. I always thought they where waterproof but I wrap everying in plastic bags anyway. Biggest is not always best unless you really need to. You will end taking the kitchen sink otherwise.
hamish

Post by hamish »

tyreon wrote:I'm not sure who is doing all this 'riding in the rain'. Yes,for an hour. Yes,for two hours. Longer,and I shelter. All day and I give up and stay in shelter or accommodation until it passes. I don't think there's a need for these Ortlieb jobs: its overkill. A Carradura type pannier will keep out most downfall,unless you're in Burma in the wet season,I guess. I don't like the plasticated look of the Ortliebs,nor 'em having no pockets. Having then said enough to hang myself,4 days forcaste of heavy, consistent rain: I move on by train,or return home! I refuse to cycle thru 4 days of torrential rain... and the alternative of spending 4 days trapped in a hostel,tent or hotel room is just a killer.No longer made o the hard stuff. Don't think I ever was! Come to think of it....am beginning to wonder where 'real men' have gone :)

I prefer cycling in sunny weather. But I also really enjoy touring in the rain. Everyone is different but I think many people like touring in bad weather.

If you tour in the rain you can still stay comfy if you are organised and have a good tent. One of the most important things is to keep your gear dry and that is why I have waterproof panniers. I think you have a good choice of panniers today. I happen to use ortlieb and they are great. One pair I bought for a tour in 1990 and they are still fine although I replaced them a few years ago because I prefer the new hooks.
promeneur

Post by promeneur »

Ortieb back roller changed my life about 20 years ago.
Light,simple and compact (no pocket please) easy to fix (2 seconds) and waterproof.
I'm now in Laos and had hard rain for 2 days,non stop,but no worries..
benoît
neil ry

Post by neil ry »

Thanks for the post's and ALAN LORD your bike packer page was vet useful thanks.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

bikepacker wrote:Where some posters get bikepackers are not waterproof from I will never know.

They will let the water in if you come off in a greasy ford, or after hitting a submerged pothole, and leave the bike on its side in the water whilst you inspect your injuries. That's about the only situation.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

bikepacker wrote:Most of the pannier threads end up being an argument of preference, mainly between Ortlieb and Carradice. Fourteen years ago I swopped my Carradice for Ortliebs after all my gear got soaked (I know all the could have put it in plastic bag replies so don't bother) and would no longer use anything else. Where some posters get bikepackers are not waterproof from I will never know. I tour for around 5 months of the year and have been in some of the most torrential rain known (I was near the Tormalet when it got washed away last year) yet not the slightest hint of a leak.

If you want to see my set up and gear list look on my website.

They are waterproof not watertight - its easy to confuse the two - Packers are waterproof - wet could get in potentially as the top of the bag is open , Rollers are watertight - in theory, if they are sealed properly no wet can get in (or out).

I prefer Rollers as they are so easy to use, no flaps, straps or drawstrings to worry about and i have had instances of flooding washing over my bags - anything less than watertight and the contents would've been floating! I don't double bag for waterproofness but for organization.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

foxyrider wrote:They are waterproof not watertight - its easy to confuse the two - Packers are waterproof - wet could get in potentially as the top of the bag is open , Rollers are watertight - in theory, if they are sealed properly no wet can get in (or out).

As you say in theory. In practice I have never repeat never had water get into my Backpackers or Sportspackers. You can count Monsoon Rain in the Far East and weeks of torrential rain in Europe as conditions they have endured.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
Dudley Manlove

Post by Dudley Manlove »

If it's ortlieb vs carradice I doubt anyone is gonna change anyone's minds if they're already set on one or the other. That said, jackets can be breathable and let water in the end, but personally I want my panniers 100% waterproof - so I tend towards ortlieb. At least you know where you are then and aren't second guessing when your stuff will start getting wet.
slogfester

Post by slogfester »

My new roller pluses leaked a little water/moisture when riding all day in torrential rain in NZ. Seemed the water creeps in via wicking along the seam which is sown in to the roller bar thinghy? At the time I was travelling with 2 very experienced round-the-world tourers and they both had the same problem and had met others who reported this elsewhere in torrential rain.
jaydeepee

Post by jaydeepee »

Ortleib rollers for me. Bought a new set two years ago after my previous were taken from the garage. I wouldn't be without them. I also use nautical dry bags inside which come in various litre sizes and are completely dry on the top of the rack.http://www.over-board.co.uk/dry-bags.html
n+1bikes

Post by n+1bikes »

Ortlieb here too
I have one that can be worn as a backpack, but it mostly a pannnier
works well, but spendy