panniers panniers panniers???

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
bikes4two

Re: panniers panniers panniers???

Post by bikes4two »

DaveP wrote:Or you could buy some budget panniers to start with, such as Altura. They are cheap but certainly not nasty. They won't suddenly disintegrate mid ride, and you can obtain very high levels of water proofing by lining them with - a bin liner. Replaced every trip.
Buy the expensive stuff when you have a clearer idea of what you need.

Some Altura panniers cost more than others - in ascending order of cost - Arran, Dryliner, Orkney (I think). I have Dryliner with thousands of miles touring done and no problems at all.

Some key points you might lie to consider:
> Rack fixing arrangements - Rixen and Kaul are very good - avoid elsatic hooks on cheaper panniers
> External pockets or not (a personal choice)
> Heel clearance (if you have short chainstay length and/or big feet, this might be an issue)
> Ease of access to the pannier

There are other points to consider I'm sure?
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Agree about Rixen and Kaul - I have them on a nice small set of Alturas.

If Ortleib used Rixen and Kaul they'd be perfect in my opinion.
Sweep
neil ry

Post by neil ry »

Thanks again for all the helpful guidance. .
I'm swinging in favour for the Carradice Super C's,
they look sturdy and have outer pockets which look very handy & have good reviews and they seem popular on tours
Miles_Back

Post by Miles_Back »

+1 for Altura panniers +1 for Caradice.
I have used my Alturas for work and touring holidays over the past 11 years - they have been excellent. Mrs Back has had the same Carradice panniers for over 21 years, these have also been superb. The Carradice panniers are somewhat lighter than my Alturas.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Sweep wrote:Agree about Rixen and Kaul - I have them on a nice small set of Alturas.

Not all R&K is created equal. While the Klickfix bar bag mounts I have are excellent, the catches on my older style Altura Orkneys (and the catch design is still about) are a Work of Stan and a total PITA. I've broken 2 of the 4 and they were £6 to replace and they're (IMHO) a bit crap, awkward to lock and unlock. The catches on my various Ortliebs, OTOH, are my personal reference benchmark of How To Do It Right.

Moral here is if you can take in your bike and your rack and try them in person. One person's meat is another's poison, and this seems to extend to pannier fittings.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

bogmyrtle wrote:If I was looking for panniers again I would look for something with pockets. I curse the pocketless Ortliebs I have every time I use them.

well fit some pockets to them then - Ortlieb do two sizes which are fully waterproof and removable for when you don't need them.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

pjclinch wrote:
Sweep wrote:Agree about Rixen and Kaul - I have them on a nice small set of Alturas.

Not all R&K is created equal. While the Klickfix bar bag mounts I have are excellent, the catches on my older style Altura Orkneys (and the catch design is still about) are a Work of Stan and a total PITA. I've broken 2 of the 4 and they were £6 to replace and they're (IMHO) a bit crap, awkward to lock and unlock. The catches on my various Ortliebs, OTOH, are my personal reference benchmark of How To Do It Right.

Moral here is if you can take in your bike and your rack and try them in person. One person's meat is another's poison, and this seems to extend to pannier fittings.

Pete.

complete agreement - the R&K pannier fittings are badly designed, difficult to use and break regularly - oh and getting some of the parts is nigh on impossible in the UK!

Ortlieb QL system is much better, all the parts are readily available - not that you should need any, my commuting bags started out as my touring bags back in 04, only downgraded as they are looking a bit tatty and i'm a bit OCD about my touring kit!
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

I'm not sure who is doing all this 'riding in the rain'. Yes,for an hour. Yes,for two hours. Longer,and I shelter. All day and I give up and stay in shelter or accommodation until it passes. I don't think there's a need for these Ortlieb jobs: its overkill. A Carradura type pannier will keep out most downfall,unless you're in Burma in the wet season,I guess. I don't like the plasticated look of the Ortliebs,nor 'em having no pockets. Having then said enough to hang myself,4 days forcaste of heavy, consistent rain: I move on by train,or return home! I refuse to cycle thru 4 days of torrential rain... and the alternative of spending 4 days trapped in a hostel,tent or hotel room is just a killer.No longer made o the hard stuff. Don't think I ever was! Come to think of it....am beginning to wonder where 'real men' have gone :)
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

tyreon wrote:I'm not sure who is doing all this 'riding in the rain'. Yes,for an hour. Yes,for two hours. Longer,and I shelter. All day and I give up and stay in shelter or accommodation until it passes. I don't think there's a need for these Ortlieb jobs: its overkill.

My summer holiday in Europe almost always has a couple of wet days - this year from dawn to dusk along the Danube and a storm where i couldn't at times see the road! The Ortliebs were invaluable, i was able to climb into a dry tent inner and put on dry clothing both times because the Ortliebs are overkill - If you don't like the 'plastic' look buy the more expensive cotton versions. The Ortliebs praises are sung because they do actually do what they say on the box! :D
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

tyreon wrote:I'm not sure who is doing all this 'riding in the rain'. Yes,for an hour. Yes,for two hours. Longer,and I shelter. All day and I give up and stay in shelter or accommodation until it passes. I don't think there's a need for these Ortlieb jobs: its overkill. A Carradura type pannier will keep out most downfall,unless you're in Burma in the wet season,I guess. I don't like the plasticated look of the Ortliebs,nor 'em having no pockets. Having then said enough to hang myself,4 days forcaste of heavy, consistent rain: I move on by train,or return home! I refuse to cycle thru 4 days of torrential rain... and the alternative of spending 4 days trapped in a hostel,tent or hotel room is just a killer.No longer made o the hard stuff. Don't think I ever was! Come to think of it....am beginning to wonder where 'real men' have gone :)

I agree :D
The tough ones here forgot to mention that you still need a lead lined inner bag incase you stray into hazardous terrain.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

mercalia wrote:

I agree :D
The tough ones here forgot to mention that you still need a lead lined inner bag incase you stray into hazardous terrain.

? lost me there i'm afraid :?:
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

+1 for Altura. Last year I did a fifty-mile-plus day in a downpour. End of the day, despite wearing “waterproofs”, there was a small dry patch at the small of my back – otherwise I might as well have been swimming. The contents of my Orkney panniers were, at worst, very slightly damp. They are a bit heavy though.
swscotland bentrider

Post by swscotland bentrider »

bogmyrtle wrote:If I was looking for panniers again I would look for something with pockets. I curse the pocketless Ortliebs I have every time I use them.

Ortliebs do pockets. I have fitted these to my Ortliebs and they have worked a treat. Detachable too. I like that I can mix bottle cages with pockets on the same fitting.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Keep your eye on Ebay. There's a seller there , bakedbeanman , who often advertises Carradice factory seconds with small imperfections which don't affect the function or overall appearance. Got a pair of Carradry rear for 40 quid including postage in the summer.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

tyreon wrote:I'm not sure who is doing all this 'riding in the rain'. Yes,for an hour. Yes,for two hours. Longer,and I shelter. All day and I give up and stay in shelter or accommodation until it passes. I don't think there's a need for these Ortlieb jobs: its overkill. A Carradura type pannier will keep out most downfall,unless you're in Burma in the wet season,I guess. I don't like the plasticated look of the Ortliebs,nor 'em having no pockets.

I don't use Orts because they're waterproof (though I don't have what you'd think of as a problem with them being waterproof!) but because the fittings are very easy to use and secure and the overall build quality is exemplary.

Don't like the plasticy look? Get the "Plus" (more lightweight, not quite as bomber) version and problem solved.

Don't like no pockets? Get the optional pockets and mount them as needed, and problem solved. There is some degree of trepidation involved in adding the mounts as you have to punch holes through the pannier (tool and template supplied) for the fittings, but I've managed to do a couple with no mishaps and I am certainly not the best with my hands (the fittings seal the holes up so they should still be waterproof, if anyone was wondering).

I'd given my old Orkney Universals to my kids for school bags. They had problems with the R&K fittings, replaced them with Ortlieb Sport Packers and problem solved (but it wasn't with the Ort City Rollers, which go on and off nicely but are awkwar for youngsters to close properly). The internal organiser pocket is enough compartmentalisation for most jobs.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...