panniers panniers panniers???

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
neil ry

panniers panniers panniers???

Post by neil ry »

Hope you don't all get sick of seeing my name crop up all the time haha. . .new to all this mallarky .
I searching all the site's reading all reviews. . but it's a mine field out there. .
WHAT PANNIERS ARRRRRRRRRR. . . . Carradice . . Vaude. . Ortlileb . . all great panniers by all account's , but which one's to go for?
I'm swaying towards Carradice,whether it be Carradry's or Super C's but just seen Karrimor on ebay . . don't no what to do.
Don't mine paying out for quality,cause if I do end up and become a veteran tourer, they be worth the money and if I don't i'll reclaim a lump of my outlay back. .
What to do ?
DaveP

Re: panniers panniers panniers???

Post by DaveP »

Or you could buy some budget panniers to start with, such as Altura. They are cheap but certainly not nasty. They won't suddenly disintegrate mid ride, and you can obtain very high levels of water proofing by lining them with - a bin liner. Replaced every trip.
Buy the expensive stuff when you have a clearer idea of what you need.
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
SteveHunter

Post by SteveHunter »

I don't know what size you are after but I bought a set of these for commuting with as they are 100% waterproof. The waterproof bit was important to me as I carry laptops and tablet etc.. to work.

RCP WP100 carrier bags Colour black 2015 bike panniers https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002RLGWHA/ ... xub1HMMANV

You can also get some smaller pockets that attach to the front for keys and phone etc.. Red Cycling Products Outer Bag bike panniers black 2015 bike panniers waterproof https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00F40XYTK/ ... xub09V1GHA
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Karrimor are now ancient and obsolete - only for those who have some that need replacing - me - in my case I have the best ones with the disc lock to attach to the carrier. I got some nice almost mint ones from Ebay the other week that will just drop in where my old ones went. Altura make some not too costly panniers that I would otherwise consider
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I have some of those disklock things.

Including a really nice small pair that i use on the back for day rides.

Goes off into a corner to weep for now long lost karrimor - my partner is from the middle of the Med and even as a young woman out there was aware of the company's reputation for quality.

On the OP if they also use the bike for shopping at all I'd splash out and go for Ortlieb now - I bought a pair almost 20 years ago and they still look fine after ferrying all sorts if stuff. Have long since paid for themselves.
Sweep
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

+1 for the RCP bags.
I've had mine since July this year and they're brilliant. Very large capacity (45ltr I think) and literally airtight when closed. Water won't get into these. The mounts are adjustable to fit pretty much any rack.
These do a similar job to ortliebs for half the cost.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

If it's possible take your bike to a shop with a range and try them out. You'll find out how the fittings work with your particular rack, if you've got enough heel clearance etc. etc.

I like Ortliebs, not really about the waterproofing (as noted, all it takes is a plastic bag, though I'd go for a rubble sack rather than a binliner as they don't rip nearly so easily, and if touring you'll probably want liners anyway so when you need to put e.g. a wet jacket or tent in you don't get all your dry stuff wet) but more about the ease of use and quality of the fittings. To lock the pannier on to the rack, let go of the handle. To unlock, pick up by the handle. I appreciate that every time I use them, rather than if it's raining.

Also have a think about how you like compartments. If you like lots of separate places with independent access then a One-Big-Bag style probably isn't best, and vice versa. This is again something that's easier to work out with them in your hands in front of you, rather than a third party recommendation and some interweb pictures.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
neil ry

Post by neil ry »

Thanks for the response,
my local bike shop's limited on panniers,but there is another not to far away.
don't think foot cleanance will be a problem as I have only got small feet,
I may look into altura & upgrade if need be(leaving me with spare panniers for my daily shop)
Galloper

Post by Galloper »

I have a set of Altura Orkney panniers front and rear and they have provided very good service over several thousand miles and are still in very good condition. My own preference, supporting British companies, would be for either Carradice or Altura.

I would recommend, however, regardless of brand, that you go for a sturdy build. The lightweight panniers will always need additional waterproofing and are more susceptible to damage. I have met several people in the past whose (expensive) lightweight panniers were surviving only through the extensive use of duct tape!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

The two good things about Karrimor panniers are that a) they a re light in weight b) they are made of a woven artificial fabric so wear well and easy to repair. I ve had mine now for going on 15 years
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

I've had a pair of Ortlieb Rolltop rear panniers for about 20 years and they've done 50 tours or more and are still waterproof and have had to have nothing replaced. I know of nothing else which would equal this durability.
I think that Carradice stuff is pretty good too. I've three of their saddlebags, some for a long time and one racktop bag which is super durable. Cotton Duck is the stuff though
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

If I was looking for panniers again I would look for something with pockets. I curse the pocketless Ortliebs I have every time I use them.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
PH

Post by PH »

DaveP wrote:Or you could buy some budget panniers to start with, such as Altura. They are cheap but certainly not nasty. They won't suddenly disintegrate mid ride, and you can obtain very high levels of water proofing by lining them with - a bin liner. Replaced every trip.
Buy the expensive stuff when you have a clearer idea of what you need.

I'd suggest there's not enough of a price difference between the mid rage ones like the Altura and the top of the range like the Ortlieb/Vaude/Carradice to warrant buying with the intention of upgrading in the future. When I last looked it was about £65 Vs £90. Better IMO to either buy really cheap or the best. If you're on a budget and in no hurry keep an eye on the classifieds, good value panniers come up quite regularly, I just bought a decent pair of front vaudes for £15.
Of the makes you list, The PVC Carradice Carradry are not as well made as the PVC Ortlieb/Vaude, nor do they have the same quality as the Carradice Cotton Duck range. The manufacturing of the PVC ones has been outsourced rather than made in the UK, IMO if they didn't have the name Carradice on them they wouldn't sell.
Panniers really are something where quality lasts, my Ortliebs are 9 years old and function as well now as when new, at least one of them is used nearly every day.
PH

Post by PH »

bogmyrtle wrote:If I was looking for panniers again I would look for something with pockets. I curse the pocketless Ortliebs I have every time I use them.

Yes, but then I use a saddlebag as well, everything I need on the road is in the saddlebag and the panniers don't get opened from one end of the day to the next.
AaronR

Post by AaronR »

I've had a pair of Altura Arran 36l in daily use for four years now and can't fault them - not waterproof, but bin bags and carrier bags are cheap

The Rixen Kaul fittings offer a decent range of movement and fitment (standard across Altura Arran range)