Jan to May Riding?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
...simplicity...

Jan to May Riding?

Post by ...simplicity... »

Hi,

Based on the amazing responses when I've done this previously, I again find myself asking for some advice from the community for a trip I'm hoping to do next year from Jan to June. With my current job offering 6 months (unpaid) leave at the start of the new year, I've decided to put the narrowboat where I currently reside out to rent for the designated period - freeing up the opportunity to get my bike on another tour.

Does the community have any recommendations for tour during this period?

To give you a bit of information on myself:

- I have previously toured 4 months across the USA, camping along the way.
- I toured the Outer Hebrides earlier this year.
- I enjoy quieter roads, little communities, and tend to avoid the urban areas when I'm touring.
- I prefer to tour on as little money as possible, generally opting to camp/cook on the stove/avoid paying more than the one return flight.
- My company has offered me UP TO 6 months off, so shorter tour ideas are also gratefully received.

My initial thoughts are:

- Flying into Eastern Turkey and making my way back to England steadily.
- South E Asia and possibly teaching for a short stint in each country (Thailand,Vietnam/Cambodia...) if available.
- Starting at Morocco and cycling my way south

Thanking you in advance... as always.

Cheers
Max
Sooper8

Re: Jan to May Riding?

Post by Sooper8 »

Max- sorry that I can't help with your question , but I hope you don't mind me jumping in on your thread to say this........is it just me that gets a vicarious thrill when I read about someone planning a tour. I love reading this kind of post. Ah, the possibilities of 6 months off!
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Ride down to south of France. (riding to milder weather?)
Follow coast to Italy and on to Brindisi.
Ferry to Greece and on to Istanbul.
Back across Europe through which ever countries take your fancy.
About 5000 miles round trip but depends on detours. :)
You'll never know if you don't try it.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Due to the January start I would certainly start somewhere warmer (southern europe/Asia) and ride back.
There is a Lonely Planet guide to cycling in Laos/Cambodia and Vietnam
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vietnam-Cambodi ... 1864501685
With the current sitation in Iraq/Syria/Afghanistan not so sure qabout a route back to Europe.
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

At this time of the year, I'd be tempted to go to South America (I've only climbed there, not cycled, but I've been to a few of the countries) perhaps fly to Santiago and meander up to Lima taking in the sites to see en route or cut across to Paraguay, then Uraguay and keep going until you run out of time and have to fly back?
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

New Zealand and maybe some of Australia (Tasmania & Victoria).
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

My first thought is where do YOU want to go. No point in me waxing lyrically about India if it is the last place you would consider.

Second thought is look at weather. Plenty of great sites out there with historical weather. Jan in Europe can be very cold, May in SE Asia can be very hot.

Third thought is budget. You say you want to travel cheaply, then this could rule out OZ and NZ.

SE Asia is very cheap, no need to camp and great for cycling. Maybe try and include a bit of Southern China. Not sure about the teaching thing, it could take time to organise and you will have to be in the right place which could interfere with cycling. You can easily spend a month in each of the countries, Thai, Burma, Lao, VN, CAmbodia, etc.

As I love SE Asia that is where I would recommend, but probably only for 4 months. Although no reason why you couldn't do 3 months in SEA then fly to Instanbul, pick up camping gear and cycle home from there.
ankaradan

Post by ankaradan »

I certainly wouldn't want to ride across central Turkey in January, temperatures often fall to -10 or -15 in central Anatolia; I'm not sure what you mean by Eastern Turkey, but you might be aware there's a war going on just over the border. That said, it would probably be quite pleasant following the Mediterranean and Aegean coasts.
largeallan

Post by largeallan »

Istanbul or Constantinople?
...simplicity...

Hi,

Thanks for all the responses and apologises for the lack of activity in response. I have had a slight change of plan (new job has reduced the 6 month tour down to a single month before I start the new job):

I've now got the middle of January to the middle of February to 'play with.' So I am leaning towards Morocco as it seems to be fairly cheap, good weather for the time of year and a culture I've yet to explore.

Have any of the community toured Morocco previously? And if so, it would be amazing if they could help answer a few questions I have with regards to the trip:

1. Getting there? I'm thinking a flight straight into Tangier or Marrakech (depending on route) from London and boxing my bike up to re assemble on the other side. It would be great to here if anyone has done this, and if so, did they manage to locate a bike shop to nab a box from when needing to box the bike back up to go home? Ferry over to Spain, then train down south, then ferry over to Morocco is also an option, but looking to be a bit more expensive!?

2. Route? This is where the community could be a massive help. Any suggested circular routes for up to a couple of weeks would be ideal. I ride a standard Reynold 531 touring bike with no suspension and road wheels, so ideally the route would ride on roads and be committed to around 50-90 miles a day.

3. Any other tips you can offer?

As, always, thanking you all advance for your help.

Happy Riding!
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Southern Spain and northern Morocco, the climate can be very wet and none too hot in January; Marrakech will be very pleasant – shirt-sleeve weather, need a fleece in the evening.
Marrakech is delightful; Rabat’s OK, Casablanca’s nothing like the movie, Tangier’s a bit of a toilet (YMMV, of course).
The ferry from Spain’s about £50 each way, man & bike (2011 prices). And the road from Malaga’s horrid.
Hotels can be very cheap - very very cheap if you don’t mind slumming it; outside of cities, they can be few and far between. Campsites were atrocious.
I never found a bike shop in Marrakech, but had a fascinating couple of days in the souk tracking down large cardboard boxes (there’s a recycled-cardboard-box-shop somewhere behind Café Argana IIRC), parcel tape and such.
Most roads were fine for road wheels (better than Leeds, mostly!), but one or two were utterly appalling.
Interesting country, and one of the last Islamic lands it’s still safe to visit. And a great place to practise your French, since most people speak it, as a second language, rather slowly.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

You could get a cheap flight to Agadir, turn right on leaving the airport and head for Taroudant and then the Atlas or wherever else takes your fancy. Much less hassle than cycling out of Marrakech or Tangier.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
...simplicity...

This was the route I'd seen elsewhere, so would the community have any warnings/highlights on the below. Looking at making a 10 day tour as follows:

http://travellingtwo.com/resources/morocco/zagoratafraoute

I'd allow a day either side for setting up and beginning from Marrakech and packing up and leaving from Agadir. For the time of year, the southern portion of Morocco seems to make more sense, and this route would allow me to camp for most of the journey. If anyone has experience of unpacking the bike in Marrakech/packing up the bike in Agadir that would be really helpful. Hoping to book up by tomorrow, so prompt replies would be really helpful.

Thanks, as always
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Unless you are decided on Morocco, it would be a great time to go to Thailand.

The weather is at its best, there are cheap flights available. I have just booked Emirates (30kg baggage, bike friendly) for £469. Once there living is very cheap, no need to camp.

As a Brit you get 30 day visa free entry.

..........and no stone throwing kids!
...simplicity...

Hi,

Having delayed booking my flights and subsequently seen them shoot up over the last few days, I've now had to change my plans to another destination (limited budget). I've today booked cheap flights into Lanzarote and out of Fuerteventura, with the intention of catching the ferry a few days in and island hopping, before flying out of Fuerteventura.

I am hoping to camp the entire route, so would love to hear if anyone has been successful in doing this trip before and if anyone has recommended routes throughout?

Thank you