Planning My First Tour

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
progressive

Planning My First Tour

Post by progressive »

Hello all,

This is my first post on this forum but I have been reading with interest for a while now.

Following almost ten years in solid employment I have decided to take some much-needed time off from the rat race. I anticipate that in around May 2015, I will take approximately three months off. This will be unpaid although I will have very little outgoings during this time (no rent, bills etc.). This time scale can be adjusted to suit. I have no real ties or responsibilities at this time. I have strategically timed this based on the European summer, more to follow on this.

I have always been fascinated by the idea of long distance cycling, and in recent years have had friends that have started to get quite into it. Hearing stories of their amazing trips has inspired me to do something similar. Whether it’s the C2C, LEJOG or a world tour, I always listen in awe. With no real desire to throw on a backpack and head to South East Asia (at the moment), this could be a viable alternative to scratch my itch.

I am from Europe, but have lived away for some time. I have a real hankering to see the ‘real Europe’ and not just the main cities. I have done plenty of this in previous years. My tour would therefore be Europe-based. I would assume either starting in my home country of UK or from one of the main ferry ports in Western Europe.

So I plan to take off on my bike and tour Europe. I have spent many hours pondering possible routes, but haven’t put pen to paper as such yet. Countries I am particularly interested in are France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Italy and perhaps Spain (not in any particular order of preference). I would like to cover some ground but at the same time not exhaust myself in the process. I would ideally like relatively easy going cycling through scenic locations (a paradox perhaps?) with interesting things along the way. Absolute preference is to stick to minor roads or traffic-free roads as I do not like (and haven’t much experience with) cycling in heavy traffic. Cycling 8am until 3pm with an hour or so for lunch feels about right to me.

My plan is to operate on a relatively low budget as I feel that this will be enhance the experience and also because I will not be earning a wage during this time. I am also quite conservative by nature. So camping will be the basis of my accommodation with the odd B&B / hotel thrown in when required (when in a large town or when I need to recoup for example). I am undecided whether I would take cooking gear, although I would assume not as the food in Europe is generally good (bread, cheese, meats etc.) and I would prefer this option. I am not strapped for cash so would still have some comforts, but would be budget-conscious.

I am a keen recreational cyclist and ride my road bike three times per week, rides ranging from 20km up to 100km+, and the occasional overnight trip. I really enjoy being out on the bike and seeing the world from this perspective.

Choice of bike is to be confirmed. Again, due to budget I would like to conserve what I have. My current road bike isn’t practical (and not worth enough to ship back to Europe) but my virtually unused mid-range mountain bike in UK may be, with some modification (rack, panniers, slick tires, rigid fork). I need to run a few tests in the way of multi-day mini-tours in UK but if all else fails; I’ll purchase a pre-owned touring bike.

So just thought I would put that out there and introduce myself to the community here. Hopefully this forum will be of further help in my planning of the tour. I am quite overwhelmed by the planning and execution of the trip, but very excited by the liberation at the same time.

Any thoughts, comments or general advice would be warmly welcomed.
MrsHJ

Re: Planning My First Tour

Post by MrsHJ »

Sounds fabulous. I want to do the trans America when I am 50 with a 3 month extended leave. Travelling by yourself should mean that there isn't much of a problem getting camping spots even in peak season in July etc. I'd start South in May. Don't forget to take some days off rather than pushing yourself the whole time. In terms of distance I allow about 50 miles a day but you may wish to extend that but think about what you are trying to achieve- if it is to see places you will need to arrive somewhere by early afternoon in order to pitch tent, have a shower then go for a look round I reckon. Don't take too much stuff, you can always buy it. Cycle camping with a stove is how many here would do it, keeps costs down. I'm thinking of not taking a stove for the trans America but in Europe I generally like to have a stove- it's a personal choice, figure out what works best for you and how much cash you will have per day. Flash bike not required, decent gearing and braze on for panniers is fine. Make sure it's comfortable though.

Now routes ( this is personal preference as there is an infinite choice). Look at the eurovelo route map for ideas. Obviously it's perfectly possible to cycle across europe without touching on a cycle route and you may prefer keeping away from organised routes as they can be slower and busier with bikes taking away the feeling you are doing your own thing. However they may give you some inspiration. I guess you will be aiming to cycle abat 3500 - 4000 miles in your trip ( depending on numbers of days off and distance per day). This could take you from Cadiz to Athens or from the North Cape to the med. You prefer the core of Europe from the sounds or it so you could cycle around the borders of your chosen countries ( downside is you won't see the Middle). Or you could join up some of the rives routes and do the Loire, Rhine, Rhone etc. Crazy guy on a bike website will have inspiration for you, plenty of people have just gone for a ride in Europe and let it take them 3 months.
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

You sound like you're in the same situation as I was a year ago. My OH and I both left our jobs in May this year and took to our bikes, riding 6000km through France, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Czech Republic, Netherlands and Belgium. We were keen cyclists but inexperienced touring cyclists having only done a short London-Paris tour last year.

I could write an essay as a reply but just a couple of points to start:

Route planning. We knew we wanted to cycle for 3-4 months but we didn't know where to go. So we started by buying a large map of Western Europe then chose half a dozen or so large places we wanted to visit. Other than having the first few days of the trip pre-planned that was all we did before leaving. On the road we joined up the dots using digital mapping (openfietsmap), planning 150-200km in advance. Guide books helped at the micro level when you want to know which towns are worth visiting. This approach worked well and we stuck to our high level plan although did do a few detours and loops to take in interesting places along the way.

Cooking. Definitely bring a stove. We nearly didn't but are so glad we changed our minds. Tea/coffee is not universally available at campsites and a warm drink on a cold morning (although it was summer we had some very cold starts, especially at altitude) is a godsend. Being able to cook a meal is very useful too as you may find yourself camping far away from a restaurant (and then it starts raining...) or bored of picnic food. It also means you can carry a stock of food for days where getting fresh food is difficult (e.g. Sundays in most of Europe). We brought one pot which was enough for simple meals for two.

If you want to read our crazyguy blog you can find it at http://www.fuelledbycake.co.uk
AaronR

Post by AaronR »

I'm halfway through planning my JOGLE trip to start May 1st next year, planned around almost the same principles as yours, and for about the same reason - hoping to complete it in about 12 days, camping all the way, and doing it on a tour kitted 1998 MTB.. only difference is I'd plump for an earlier start (about 0630) and finishing mid afternoon

Planning has been put on hold otherwise I'll be sat itching to go by the end of the year and currently working on fitness/stamina training, but if the idea of starting your tour accompanying a stranger for two weeks is appealing I'll copy you in on plans to date
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

My first order of planning is deciding what I want to see/visit. Do you want to take in particular museums or climb a mountain - in short, do you have a bucket list of stuff to do?

Mark these points on a large scale map then join the dots, it might not all be practical, I would suggest 100km a day as the ideal maximum, but start later at 9, most of Europe doesn't really wake up until 10, particularly galleries and museums. Consider utilising trains/coaches for bigger 'transit' sections. Certainly factoring in days off the bike is a good idea and I like to do a ratio of 3:1, tent to hotel etc nights, gives you a chance to clean/dry stuff and relax more than the tent will allow. Take a stove - I don't take pans, just a kettle - emergency food can be packet soups or pot meals but making a drink in the evening and certainly in the morning is essential for me. Keep an eye on when the local saints days etc occur, shops will be closed or have restricted opening - bakeries are usually open Sunday mornings but not usually any other consumer stores!

Don't get too bogged down with a route, whilst I know where I'm headed each day I don't always use the route I've picked out, or I might decide to catch the train or find something to visit I wasn't expecting.... 100km over 6 or 7 hours doesn't sound a lot but with stops to eat, take photos, even just using the cycle trail rather than the road - all impact on your progress. My general rule is to be on the campsite or booked in the hotel before six pm - it can be earlier but its seldom later. Time enough to get installed and fed before relaxing. Oh and remember most campsites have a siesta between 12 and 3 when you can't get in so its worth allowing for that when you plan the days ride.

Any bike can do any job - how well is the issue - if your road bike is comfortable and in good fettle, spend the dosh on a trailer and use that. I'm lucky, I've got a fleet of bikes so I can choose a steed for each trip, but I'd far rather use a bike I know than buy an unknown quantity secondhand - most used bikes are being sold because there is something wrong with them, worn transmission, quirky handling, uncomfortable - so be wary of anything that looks like a secondhand bargain!

Lastly, enjoy yourself! :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Tasker

Post by Tasker »

foxyrider wrote: most used bikes are being sold because there is something wrong with them, worn transmission, quirky handling, uncomfortable - so be wary of anything that looks like a secondhand bargain! :D

WOW! Thanks for the INFO bro! Just goes to show you all the members here posting their "pre-owned" bikes and bits are nothing more than a bunch of secondhand car salesmen that normally sell s**te to to chavs are simply doin' a bit on the side sellin' bikes does it?

Utter rubbish. To the OP: don't believe it. Do seriously consider buying a secondhand and probably well loved and consequently well looked after touring bike. NO (true) touring cyclist would ever even contemplate pulling such a nasty trick on a fledgling traveller, and here is I suggest, the first place to look for one. Good luck with your tour.
progressive

Post by progressive »

Thank you so much for all of those responses. Very, very helpful and truly inspiring to hear about your trips from both the planning and execution stage. It is reassuring to know that everyone started out as a novice to this (obvious but doesn't always seem that way!). I will take this advice and continue my planning.

Hopefully I can report back before long with an update.

Many thanks again!
progressive

Post by progressive »

bohrsatom wrote:
If you want to read our crazyguy blog you can find it at http://www.fuelledbycake.co.uk

This is looking to be the most imformative and well-written touring blog I have seen to date. Read all of the pre-trip entries just now, bookmarked for later. A great resource which I will enjoy reading, thanks again.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Tasker wrote:WOW! Thanks for the INFO bro! Just goes to show you all the members here posting their "pre-owned" bikes and bits are nothing more than a bunch of secondhand car salesmen that normally sell s**te to to chavs are simply doin' a bit on the side sellin' bikes does it?

Your words not mine!
Tasker wrote:Utter rubbish. To the OP: don't believe it. Do seriously consider buying a secondhand and probably well loved and consequently well looked after touring bike. NO (true) touring cyclist would ever even contemplate pulling such a nasty trick on a fledgling traveller, and here is I suggest, the first place to look for one. Good luck with your tour.

I didn't say don't do it, i said be wary. I work in the trade, we see so many people who bought a 'bargain' off 'a mate' that we wouldn't consider to be worth repairing. If you go in with your eyes open you can get some nice pre-owned machines, but lets face it, if they are so good, why are they being sold? Its a bit like getting a used car checked over before you buy it, if you don't know much about bikes you can get stung - badly,, if possible take someone who does know bikes when going to view a used bike. The £300 bargain might cost you as much to make usable - or you could be lucky. :)
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
progressive

Post by progressive »

Thanks for the input regarding buying pre-owned foxyrider (and others). I must say, I like to think I'm a good judge of character and can usually tell if something is off. I also accept that buying pre-owned comes with risks. That said, I've had friends (and to some extent myself) who have been given advice on what to buy from 'reputable' bike shops which in hindsight was likely due to their stock at the time and desire to get rid of it.

In a more positive light, I have just sold a single speed road bike that I absolutely loved simply because I didn't ride it enough. I made sure that everything was in full working order, serviced it and genuinely would like the new owner to get the enjoyment from it that I had. I'm sure that much of the cycling community is of that mindset too.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

It is worth thinking about the availability of good second hand bikes in your size. You are at the opposite end of the size range to me (5 ft3) and it took me 5 years to find a good used Dawes Galaxy that was not to far correct colour in my price range and not to old.

Old bikes can cost a lot if the rear spacing is narrow (freewheel no cassette) or you do not want down tube shifters.
I am not claiming that good used bikes are not out there but you will need to be patient and prepared to travel to find something.

Something like this in your size if available is probably the best place to start.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
gplhl

Post by gplhl »

Hi Progressive,

Congratulations, you have completed the hard part, making the decision to take time out and to go on tour for a while.

My advice would be.

Don't get too hung up on planning the trip. Setting too many points or deadlines can distract from the experience and possibly add stress, if you decide to turn left instead of right one day, then cool don't get hung up on schedules or routes too much!

By all means prepare for the trip, but you are intending to stay in Europe and to start with you will be in Western Europe where you able to obtain most things you may need, carrying too much from the off is worse than not enough. Everyone carries too much the first time I was told and so far that was true for me as well as everyone I have met on the road, you can get things on the way, but as someone else mentioned a stove is good idea, preferably a multifuel one its more to buy but a good investment and running on petrol will pay for itself over other fuel types! If you are wild camping you can survive easily on 5 Euros a day for food etc.

Not sure which port you are looking to leave from in the UK or where in the UK you are based? I have used Portsmouth to Caen or Le Havre quite often, there is an overnight ferry (either sleep on your mat or pre-book a cabin if you want to spoil yourself) and you can get a good cooked breakfast before getting off of the boat (use the restaurant with waiters at the front of the boat if it has them, it looks posh but its less busy, only fractionally more on price and you get mountains of toast and coffee!

Routes, France is great, its got lots of cycle paths using up the old railway lines. These old railway lines are quiet and don't have steep hills as trains cannot go up steep hills. A lot of western Europe is great for cycling.

I'm also looking to set off again from the UK around May, I have to come back to the UK by April to give my sister away (at last!).. The options are endless.. Enjoy!

Regards,

Gary
www.longbikeride.co.uk
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Hello and welcome.
Planning a tour over 2 weeks concentrates and condences what you can do. Planning a tour over 3 months gives you huge scope but a bigger dilemma of where???

I would agree with someone who said decide what you want to see.... what are your interests? churches, historic buildings, hills/mountains? Art/Museums? Or the desire to follow specific routes; Rhine or Danube cycle routes.... This can then give you a basis to build your tour around. Once you decide where you want to visit you can develop routes.

Do not be too set on routes. (This why i like paper maps) Even on a day ride out from a fixed point i will ponder over a map and see something i like the look of seeing and alter a route...
When i was in Germany with my son a few years ago a closed YHA meant we had to divert from the route that was planned around staying at that particular place, find somewhere else in the nearest town to stay, and altered my following day's route...
You talk to fellow travellers who suggest other places to view/visit and decide to divert your plans....
Then of course weather and other factors may cause you to alter your plans. there is no shame in staying put in one place when the weather is dreadful or finding alternative transport (remember many continental buses take bikes). Even over a 2 week holiday i have changed plans due to weather; shortened a day due to rain, and have even had a wind in France cause me to alter plans.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
progressive

Post by progressive »

Once again, thanks all for your input. I certainly don't want to get too caught up in the planning to the finest detail, after all the point of the tour (for me) is a break from the normal scheduled and directed living. Getting out there and living day-to-day. I will most likely select a rough route of places of interest, as recommended.

One large reservation I do have though, due to my nature, is the uncertainty of where I'll be laying my head each night. Complete condradiction of my previous sentence I know, but turning up to a planned campsite / hotel after a hard day in the saddle only to find it's closed with not many alternatives, does worry me. Particularly as I'll be travelling alone.

Any supporting words or experiences? I've never wild camped alone before (I will before commencing the tour) but I'm a 'heart pounding at the sound of a few sticks breaking' type of person I must admit. A touring friend of mine thinks nothing of heading into the darkest woods in the hills and pitching his tent on his own. The thought of that does concern me a little.

That said, the attraction of saving the large expenses of campsites a few nights here and there (where possible) is appealling.

Amongst other things, this 'anxious thinking' is something I would like to straighten out by taking a trip away from the norm and out of my comfort zone.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

I have travelled both as a lone female and with my son. At least you will have a tent, when i found a hostel closed i just had to head to the next nearest town, no internet or wifi to do a search of local hotels, i have always found somewhere, once it was a lady doing unofficial B&B in a corsican village where the hotel was shut and all the locals kept insisting we knock on this particular door.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells