South Coast Path - First Tour

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ferdinand

South Coast Path - First Tour

Post by ferdinand »

Later this year I'll be doing my first long-distance run, from Portsmouth to Canterbury on the South Coast path, due to a weekend on the Isle of Wight followed by a visit next weekend to family.

The bike should be fine (Boardman Hybrid Team running on Marathon Supreme tyres), but may I have advice on a few points?

1 - Lights.

Currently I'm using running lights on my helmet, and Smart Lights when needed.

But my rear light fell off a couple of days ago, so I need some new ones.

I'm tempted to get another set of Smarts as backups since they are inexpensive, adequate and the front one is a nice hand torch, but I think that I need something for riding lanes etc for this trip.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm keen on light weight, and probably having something that is USB rechargeable.

2 - Cycling Shoes

Is it worth me getting cleat shoes (MTB variety that are walkable) in preparation for the trip?

I'm thinking that the increased efficiency may help with the increased distance over my usual longer rides of up to about 35 miles in the White Peak.

Currently I am riding stiffish trainers and toe clips.

3 - Is there anything I need to take care with on the South Coast path?

Thanks for any comments

Ferdinand
honesty

Re: South Coast Path - First Tour

Post by honesty »

1. I really like my rechargeable rear light. I have a Moon Shield. It has something like 6 hours run time, and is very bright. Front lights are are variable. you can get cheap bright ones off ebay, or expensive ridiculously bright ones from bike shops. Again I have a Moon rechargeable one that seems to work well, and allows you to alter the light levels to conserve battery use. If you have the spare cash it may be worth looking into a dynamo solution.

2. its personal choice really. Some people say they make a huge difference, others say none at all. I prefer them as they keep my feet on the pedals, so no slips due to moisture, and I feel they give a little bit of extra help. I have shimano MTB shoes with a set of touring pedals and for me they seem to work well.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

ferdinand wrote:3 - Is there anything I need to take care with on the South Coast path?

Dogs on extendable leads, out of control dogs not on leads, ditto children... :evil:

Oh, and please don't use MTB style, 'light up everything' front lights where there's oncoming 'traffic', thanks ;)
"42"
ferdinand

Post by ferdinand »

squeaker wrote:3 - Is there anything I need to take care with on the South Coast path?

Dogs on extendable leads, out of control dogs not on leads, ditto children... :evil:

I have wondered about a Dog Whistle.

Or a Hornit, since I may take a trip through London to see how the furious cyclists and the furious drivers of London go about their business.

What I want is a quieter Hornit with a dog-whistle frequency. On my daily circuit I meet about a score of dogs and a couple of horses. 99 out of every hundred are beautifully behaved, and sit as told by their owner unless in training, but the odd one comes a little close. I wouldn't have a normal Hornit on daily because if hit accidentally it would cause a horse to bolt.

Oh, and please don't use MTB style, 'light up everything' front lights where there's oncoming 'traffic', thanks ;)

No danger of that. Far more likely to take the other side in that debate, and advocate a luminosity limit with a mandated dipped setting for more powerful lights.

Ferdinand
ferdinand

Post by ferdinand »

Wrappng up this thread.

After a happy evening spending money on presents for the bike, I have ended up with:

- Shimano AM45 MTB shoes, which look like black bootees for teenage Mountain Bikers ("cool", apparently), but I think I will appreciate the over lace weather flap, and Shimano PD-A530 hybrid cleat/flat pedals. Together £80 from Halfords. That should create space for my dancing shoes for the first weekend as they work off the bike.
- A Lezyne Superdrive front Light Boxed Set (+spare battery, helmet mount etc). £65 from Sport Pursuit. I'll probably run it on the helmet when in use. Sorely tempted by the Big Bertha Megadrive, since they are all half price, but 300g seems huge for a light on the handlebars.
- A pair of Seal Skinz winter cycling gloves from Sport Pursuit - £20, also half price.

Honesty,l I'd have gone for the recommended Moon Shield light but it is slightly too big to fit into my rear helmet vent :-(. I need something about 6cm x 2.5cm max. That one is 5.5 x 3.5cm. But thanks for the tip.

Some may be interested that currently Sport Pursuit have flash sales (for the next few days) on both Lezyne (40-50% off) and Seal Skinz (50-60% off) products.

Prices are quite a bit better than elsewhere. Seal Skins have ladies winter cycling gloves reduced to £18, for example.

You have to register on the website though.
I'm just a customer.

Ferdinand
captain offensive

Post by captain offensive »

Enjoy the ride I live in Hastings and have done Hastings to Portsmouth and Hastings to Folkestone so know most of the route. It's pretty good and easy most of the way and pretty well signed. Mostly flat up to Brighton. Gets more hilly after that but nothing really bad. Couple of off road sections. One near Polegate which will be quite muddy after this weeks rain. It's not very long but there may be a short section you might need to walk for 100 yards at one point. It does improve though. That is if you follow route ncn2 out of Brighton. Also part of the route East of polegate (Rickney marsh section) is due to be closed from today for next five months for road works. To avoid this look on a map and at Polegate head for the road through stone cross and Pevensey. Region route 2 at roundabout East of Pevensey.

Enjoy! :-)