Beziers to Millau

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Nareloc

Beziers to Millau

Post by Nareloc »

Any ideas/thoughts on a route from Beziers to Millau? I'm flying out to Carcassonne and heading north to Zeebrugge at the end of April and thought it would be good to see the bridge (and maybe ride over it!). Thanks
bikepacker

Re: Beziers to Millau

Post by bikepacker »

You cannot cycle over the bridge it is a toll motorway. You can cycle under about 4 miles west of the town.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
keithg

Post by keithg »

Nareloc wrote:Any ideas/thoughts on a route from Beziers to Millau? I'm flying out to Carcassonne and heading north to Zeebrugge at the end of April and thought it would be good to see the bridge (and maybe ride over it!). Thanks

I rode from Narbonne via Millau heading to Lyon.
We used Michelin maps and used the green-outlined scenic roads to make it up as we went along. It worked pretty well.
Highpoints I particularily enjoyed were Roquefort (the cheese place) SW of Millau but its my favourite cheese so maybe that's a bit one-sided.
We got there via St Felix, Montagnol, Ceilhes, Avene, Bedarieux and the Orb valley. Its "La France Profonde" as they say and there's masses of small roads and villages off the beaten track. Surprisingly hilly and green in bits, the cheese making areas, and sometimes rolling dryer countryside, the wine making bits interspersed with forests.
North of Millau, the Tarn Gorge was also a highpoint and unmissable. Really enjoyed the Auvergne too, remarkably Scottish-like countryside, no greater compliment!!!!
Have fun
Nareloc

Post by Nareloc »

bikepacker wrote:You cannot cycle over the bridge it is a toll motorway. You can cycle under about 4 miles west of the town.

Thanks! I thought I had read somewhere that you could cycle over the bridge, but I was mistaken. It will still be good to cycle under it. In fact it is probably more of a spectacle from below!
Nareloc

Post by Nareloc »

Thanks keithg, it's good to get some feedback from someone who has been there as it's difficult to judge what the back roads are like sometimes. Must get a larger scale map and do some serious plotting!
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

keithg wrote:
Nareloc wrote: the Tarn Gorge was also a highpoint and unmissable.

+1 on the Tarn, but if you get the chance the adjoining Gorge de la Jonte is pretty good too - and rather special since there are vultures up on the cliffs. We walked up a cliff path some years back and had them sailing past just 20 metres out. We were able to look down onto their roosts, too.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

This is what it looks like from underneath. Image
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
pdstsp

Post by pdstsp »

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/BRTWebUI/Course/551290

This is a link to the route I took - albeit in the opposite direction - last year. Very quiet roads with superb scenery once you climb past Faugeres. This route brings you down the old main road into Millau which gives wonderful views of the new viaduct. Whatever you decide have a good time.
southerly

Post by southerly »

keithg,
Roquefort is NW from Millau not SW. I live not far from there just inside the Aveyron, south of Rodez. I too love Roquefort and will be having some with crispy fresh bread about 17H. All the quality Bleu de Brebis are good, some find that different Roquefort are too salty. With a glass of a full bodied Languedoc what more could you want!

If the OP is going at the end of April I would have thought like Nareloc would be to follow the Tarn but not in winter because the sun never reaches that far down and it get's very cold indeed.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Holy Gormly, Batman - that middle pier must be over 1000 feet high... Yikes!! :shock:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)